Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 6.1 Trip Energy Prediction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you who have received the 6.1 update, how well does the Trip Energy Prediction work? Do you have any qualms? I was considering making a phone app / phone browser optimized web app to help plan road trips, but with the release of 6.1, there doesn't seem to be much of a need. For those of you who have used 6.1, is this impression correct?

For those of you who have received the 6.1 update, how well does the Trip Energy Prediction work? Do you have any qualms? I was considering making a phone app / phone browser optimized web app to help plan road trips, but with the release of 6.1, there doesn't seem to be much of a need. For those of you who have used 6.1, is this impression correct?

Thank you so much for the wonderful program you made. It saved me on my recent road trip. I just upgraded to 6.1 and I tried it out. I have to say I don't think I'll be using evtripplanner anymore since it was mainly useful to me for the elevation change info. 6.1 has that covered so I obviously prefer to use a system built into the car.

Thank you though you've saved a lot of people over the years!!!

I love Evtripplanner and use it for ever long trip I've ever taken in my Model S. I find it to be an invaluable tool.

I don't have 6.1 yet, but my understanding is it is still very limited. You cannot choose from multiple routes, just the one provided, you can't select multiple destination, it has no info on other charging options, etc. All thing evtripplaner does already.

You may be in the tough situation of just staying a few steps ahead of the built in software, but I think it could still be worth it.

I've contributed to your "college fund" in the past and will do so again when you release a new versions.

EV Trip Planner offers many benefits, but I do think you could rework your site to maybe "feel" more integrated with the new features. Though my car isn't up to 6.1 yet I've read all the threads and seen all the photos. It seems like it will do a good job showing before/during/ending battery % in the car, but as noted above from others, it still only works from point A to point B.

Your site is far better for "long distance" trip planning (i.e.: end of March we're going from Cleveland, Ohio out to New Jersey and your site has been paramount in helping me easily figure out where to stop, for how long, etc). It would be super cool to add a feature to your site where it would say "you must hit X miles rated range and Y percent battery before leaving THIS station, to ensure you make it to the next station".... perhaps not going below 10% remaining just to be safe (or make that user-settable).

Here is how I envision using your site while being under 6.1 (whenever my darn update arrives)

Step 1 - Planning the trip
Visit EV Trip Planner -- Plan my route through superchargers. This is useful because your site makes it easier to visualize WHICH chargers I do or don't need/want to visit. Again there could be some higher level tweaking your site could add that would help the users best utilize the ideal route (something Tesla/6.1 doesn't do yet). From there it would be actually super-awesome to have it push out just a list of chargers -- or a nicer print-out-route feature (the CSV export is nice, but a pretty list of "where i'm going to stop" might be slick)

Step 2- Taking the trip
At this point if you're armed with the places you plan to stop, that is great. As you arrive at each supercharger, it would be awesome to have that list handy because it would show you what you (EV Trip Planner) projected both for miles of travel, but also for how many miles of range and % of battery you'll need. Right now, even under 6.1, you'd actually have to plug in, set your nav to next destination, and then look at screen to see the miles. Even then, once you see the miles distance -- you have to do math in your head. You can wait until the car says "you have enough power/%" -- but again, EV Trip Planner could pre-load you with that info in your brain (on that sheet you took with you-- or perhaps create a calendar event in iPHone/Android?)

Anyhow.... I hope this helps.... LOVE your site.... still need to donate (sorry, just got my car a month ago -- tho an early 2014) :D

I understand your question and I have been asking the same on the 6.1 thread. For me the trip energy prediction works great for my 70 mile commutes. My understanding is if I were to program a trip to cross the US in the NAV it would start showing suggested charging stops etc. For me the "in house" app is great and that is what I will use. To be frank I always had issues with EVTrip Planner and functionality on my mac at home and PC at work with older browser, darn IT. I know others love the application for me it was never very useful.

I have been using EVTripPlanner and now have the most current car software update. Yesterday I planned a long drive segment in the car. While the system provided a notice that I did not have enough charge to make the intended trip it did not suggest any charging locations or charge times. The in-car feature is most useful in my opinion for monitoring energy use while traveling. EVTripPlanner is what I use to plan a trip (in the comfort of my own home) the in-car display will confirm or alert me to the accuracy of my planning while driving the route.

One item I do not care for is that the State of Charge is presented in Percentage. My maps (yes, paper), NAV System (Tesla, on board) and local people (When I get confused) all use miles as the measure, so I have to convert Percent SOC to Rate Miles.

If you use EVTripPlanner you should seriously consider making a contribution...

I don't have 6.1 yet but I am a big fan of yours. If you can do an iphone app with the functionality of the web site I would be happy to pay for it. And I don't mean just $1.99.

Last edited:
I haven't been able to test extensively, but it looks like 6.1 does well at adjusting for altitude and does not adjust for speed or temperature. Its a big upgrade over what it used to do, but not as capable as EVTripPlanner.

My observation is that 6.1 reacts to speed and temperature. The graph displays changes in estimated "on arrival" SOC while you drive. You can check actual:estimated by pressing the little "+" icon on the upper right hand corner of the graph display.

One item I do not care for is that the State of Charge is presented in Percentage. My maps (yes, paper), NAV System (Tesla, on board) and local people (When I get confused) all use miles as the measure, so I have to convert Percent SOC to Rate Miles.

Sorry to go on a tangent, but . . . is it in % everywhere, or just on that one graph? That's the only place I'd be fine with a %; if it only allows % display everywhere I see rated miles now, though, that'll be a problem.

Sorry to go on a tangent, but . . . is it in % everywhere, or just on that one graph? That's the only place I'd be fine with a %; if it only allows % display everywhere I see rated miles now, though, that'll be a problem.

The trip energy graph itself is always in %, but you get a configuration choice for the rest - if you set it for miles, then everything is as it was before (apart from the new display that didn't exist before), if you like percent everywhere then you can set it to have that instead.

In respect of the OP's question, I think the new trip chart in the car works excellently for what it does (ie. guidance while you are driving a trip segment), but it's fairly useless for planning a non-trivial trip - it can tell you the energy for a round-trip to one destination, but that's it.

So something you can use to plan a multi-stop trip in advance (maybe on a PC at home) and then transfer the trip into the car and run each segment using the car's display is what I would ideally want.

The only way I know of to get destinations into the car's nav is via calendar or contacts; maybe a phone app could allow you to plan a multi-stop trip and then generate entries in the calendar so you can pick them up in the car?

In respect of the OP's question, I think the new trip chart in the car works excellently for what it does (ie. guidance while you are driving a trip segment), but it's fairly useless for planning a non-trivial trip - it can tell you the energy for a round-trip to one destination, but that's it.

And even then, only if you happen to agree with the routing the car wants you to take. If you would like to take a different route, you are completely out of luck.

Put me firmly in the camp with those who believe there is most certainly still room for an EVTripPlanner app.

I will continue to use EVTP for road trip planning (which is all I use it for today) since I don't really want to sit in the car to do these things. Added value for me would be weather overlays such as precipitation and surface winds (forecasted, not just current so I can take those into account).

On my most recent trip (CT to MI) I used it to predict the remaining charge when I pulled into an SC stop and could determine the needed charge to reach the next station, minimizing my recharge time by riding the bottom of the pack. I needed to arrive by 7pm and EVTP was key to that.

maybe a phone app could allow you to plan a multi-stop trip and then generate entries in the calendar so you can pick them up in the car?

This is a neat idea... I would use that feature.

So my prior few cars have been late-model Audi (S6, Allroad, etc). These cars came equipped with Audi Connect and their 3G service. It is not much unlike Tesla, however since these cars were gassers there was no remote access to the car itself-- though some location services did work.

However, pertaining to what you guys are chatting about above-- there was a cloud service that stored addresses. So when going on a trip where I wanted to plan various stops along the way (i.e.: family trip with shopping/food stops, or business trip with various clients i'd be stopping to see)-- you could use your phone (or web) to load addresses and save them into the temporary cloud location.

Then, once in the car, you could pull up your saved locations from the cloud, and load them down into the car. Only issue was that you had to wait each time it established a cloud connection (from the car to cloud) which was often slow (30-seconds). And worse yet, you could only pull down one location at a time. Still, this was always nice for travel. I even used that feature when I had an errand to run that was at a location that wasn't within my normal spectrum. My wife was sending me to pick something up cross town to an address I hadn't been before? Just load it into the app from my phone, and voila. No need to add a calendar event if I didn't want to.

Granted, the Tesla app does work (via the calendar)-- but this system was nicer because you could just load them all in and select them as desired. No restriction to calendar, 2days only, etc. This is what I think Tesla might want to consider doing down the road, especially if they want to match the feature set of Audi. :)