Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S USB and power ports

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
A few questions regarding these:

How much current can the USB ports put out? What about the 12V port?
Are the two USB ports the same in terms of power? I have seen conflicting information on that.
Do they both connect into the computer in your car or is one of them just for power?
Are the USB and 12V port always on or do they switch off when your car is off? And when is a Model S "off"?

Thanks, but it isn't clear to me when the car is off. When I get home and park and push the button on the gear shifter it is parked. But it doesn't seem to be off as the media still plays, the screens are on and my phone is still charging from the USB Port. Does it shut off a minute or so later after I leave the car? And does this behaviour change if I am plugged in?

I have a blackvue dash cam attached to my 12v. If I sit in the car it stays on however, I can here it shutdown a few seconds after I close the door when getting out. It doesn't appear to power it when I plug the car in.

Update:
I figured I would try a couple of things out. This is only 12v testing.
- I started charging with the phone app and watched my dash cam with no key near by. The result was no power being supplied.
- I turned the climate control on with the phone app while it was plugged in with no key near by. The result was the same (no power).
- I walked up to the car with the key and the door handles presented but the dash cam was still off.

It looks like the only way to get the 12v powered up is to open the door. As soon as the center screen turned on, so did my dash cam. When I closed the door, the dash cam shut off in about 5 seconds.

Last edited:
Thanks, but it isn't clear to me when the car is off. When I get home and park and push the button on the gear shifter it is parked. But it doesn't seem to be off as the media still plays, the screens are on and my phone is still charging from the USB Port. Does it shut off a minute or so later after I leave the car? And does this behaviour change if I am plugged in?

Pay attention next time you close the door after exiting the car. Displays go black, music turns off, car shuts down. I don't believe plugging the car in changes anything.

With no one in the drivers seat and the doors and trunk and frunk closed, the car does a "partial" shutdown, and about a minute after the key fob is no longer detected (meaning you have walked away from the car) it locks and mostly powers off (some low level systems are still running, of course).

I do not think this behavior changes if the car is plugged in or not plugged in.

Bottom line: the car will shut off when you close the doors and walk away. You don't need to worry about it. At first this may seem kind of weird or unsettling, but I quickly got used to it.