Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unmarked Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, the very first one had some kind of P85 logo:

tsla-a1-a.png

Did any other Model S get that particular logo?

Saw a car carrier load of Model S's today turning off southbound US 101 at hwy 152. Interesting that there were no markings on the back (60, 85, P85, 85D, P85D, etc).
Something new?

Very early Vin numbers did not come with markings to designate the battery size or other model attribues.

My bet would be trades that either never got battery markings (like EVSteve said) or were removed by their owners. Not sure from your description of location if they were on the way to Fremont or were on their way to somewhere else.

There's a Model S near my workplace I used to always stare at as I drove by. Now that I have my own Model S, I stare less, but she's still a beauty. Anyway, I noticed just two days ago that it, too, only has "Model S" on the left and nothing on the right, and I was confused. This thread helps explain that, and what perfect timing. As for removing the markings, I'd be afraid of taking off the clear coat with it.

To answer some of the questions, this was a carrier coming from Fremont probably headed over to I-5 and south. I see these quite often.

The cars which were new, had no markings on the back and a few had protective 'plastic' on certain areas to protect when being transported.

I remember early that cars were missing markings 'battery' because (as was determined on this forum) Tesla ran out of stock and they were installed on subsequent service visits by request.

Supercharger in Monterey..... I have been scouting, but it could go anywhere from Watsonville (on Hwy 1 which would also serve Santa Cruz and travel north/south) to Castroville (on Hwy156 near Hwy 1 common route to/from US 101) to Carmel (beginning of the Big Sur coastal route) or in Monterey itself. In my opinion, the best location (and very visible) would be in Seaside where they are just building an 'In n Out' along Hwy 1. There is a Starbucks within 1 block and several local owned restaurants as well as a Chili's. And of course 1 block from one of the best views of Monterey Bay.
Then there is the outdoor Del Monte Mall which a lot of food offerings and Macy's, Apple, William Sonoma, Starbucks, theater, etc. They installed several L2 Chargepoint chargers recently, but charge ridiculous prices to use. And they are usually blocked by EV's not plugged in. Reason: best parking location.

There's a Model S near my workplace I used to always stare at as I drove by. Now that I have my own Model S, I stare less, but she's still a beauty. Anyway, I noticed just two days ago that it, too, only has "Model S" on the left and nothing on the right, and I was confused. This thread helps explain that, and what perfect timing. As for removing the markings, I'd be afraid of taking off the clear coat with it.

Yeah, most earlier VINs did not have this designator. I think they started putting them on cars some time in the second half of 2013

To answer some of the questions, this was a carrier coming from Fremont probably headed over to I-5 and south. I see these quite often.

The cars which were new, had no markings on the back and a few had protective 'plastic' on certain areas to protect when being transported.

I remember early that cars were missing markings 'battery' because (as was determined on this forum) Tesla ran out of stock and they were installed on subsequent service visits by request.

Supercharger in Monterey..... I have been scouting, but it could go anywhere from Watsonville (on Hwy 1 which would also serve Santa Cruz and travel north/south) to Castroville (on Hwy156 near Hwy 1 common route to/from US 101) to Carmel (beginning of the Big Sur coastal route) or in Monterey itself. In my opinion, the best location (and very visible) would be in Seaside where they are just building an 'In n Out' along Hwy 1. There is a Starbucks within 1 block and several local owned restaurants as well as a Chili's. And of course 1 block from one of the best views of Monterey Bay.
Then there is the outdoor Del Monte Mall which a lot of food offerings and Macy's, Apple, William Sonoma, Starbucks, theater, etc. They installed several L2 Chargepoint chargers recently, but charge ridiculous prices to use. And they are usually blocked by EV's not plugged in. Reason: best parking location.
Thanks, are there any factory outlets around the Monterey area?

Thanks, are there any factory outlets around the Monterey area?

Not anything of significance. Near Cannery Row there is a block of stores in the old Tinnery that claim to be. Parking and space for expansion of any kind near that area is horrendously short. SC location there not good - or even within walking distance - not realistic. Given that, I expect an SC will pop up there.