Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Proactive Courtesy Inspection on the Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla just called to schedule a "Proactive Courtesy Inspection on the Battery." I was scheduled to have work done on the car tomorrow, but they called to see if I wouldn't mind rescheduling so that they could do a free inspection of the battery. I don't mind at all, but I've never heard of anyone needing their battery inspected before. Does anyone know what their looking for and/or have had this done on their car?

When I asked for more details on what they're inspecting they said it was "very technical" and that "only a few technicians know how to do it" and "its only done to select cars."

I'm thinking maybe its an inspection they do to cars that have had a lot of miles put on them in a very short period of time? I put 42,000 miles on my car in just one year, so maybe they're studying it? Idk, but I'm definitely curious. If they are studying it I don't mind at all. Anything to perpetuate and improve the technology is 100% ok with me.

But again, has anyone had this done before? and do you what its for?

That's all they told you? Fine if they want to get some info, but I'd push harder about asking WHY they're doing this. I've never heard of someone else having this done.

Have you lost a significant amount of range? Have you had any issues pop up?

My first thought is that this is a scam.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd expect they can get a lot of info by remotely logging in, too. Seems fishy to me. Be careful. I'd contact them to verify this is legit...and THEN ask for more info...if anything, because WE want to know...

Maybe to make some small adjustments to the battery for swaping. I honestly don't know, but that seemed like as good a guess as any. that covers the "technical," and "select," parts though. Side note, have the test participants been selected yet? If my random guess is accurate, I'm taking credit. :cool:

You should ask more questions, after all is your car (not a lease a suppose) and you have the right to know what is going on with your battery and what they will do to it.

I had a similar argument with the battery contactors and decided to opt-out from the free upgrade since they didn't provide any details, they told me that there is nothing wrong with the car and was a proactive upgrade, which sounded fishy to me.

I assume it's the same issue discussed in THIS thread.

They will examine the battery and decide if anything needs to be replaced. They are not giving details, but they say they are examining specific batteries, and replacing parts in some if they need it. My guess is that they found a problem with, say, one of the machines that assembles batteries; and they are looking at batteries it created to see if they have assembly problems that could possibly lead to a failure in the future. (Obviously it's only a possibility as they are not fixing all the batteries and several of us have quite a few miles with no issues). If not, great; if so, they will improve it so you are less likely to have a problem in the future.

You don't have to let them do it if you want, but it sounds like a no-hassle (they will valet you a loaner) possiblity for improvement to the car and I don't see any downside. Maybe I'm missing something - how could they scam us by examining the battery?

Maybe I'm missing something - how could they scam us by examining the battery?

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear...I didn't mean to imply that Tesla was scamming the OP...but it sounded like the call may not have been from Tesla...since they called him and seemed to give him virtually no details. I thought it might perhaps be some thief with a clever way to try to steal the car. If the call was indeed from Tesla, then it's nothing to worry about obviously...but I'd still request more details than "it's technical" (which is far too condescending IMHO).

How about they are doing just what it sounds like, being proactive? Popping open random batteries to have a look around and collect data, see if there's any patterns of 'wear', possible problems cropping up etc... so that they might continue to improve on their batteries?

Have you lost a significant amount of range? Have you had any issues pop up?

No, I actually had the wherewithal to take a screen shot of the range after taking delivery on 1/4/2014 and doing my first standard charge. I just took another screen shot a few minutes ago and it looks like I only lost 7 miles of range over the 42,000 miles and 400+ charging cycles I must of done since this time last year. That's not bad considering the fact that I've maxed charged at least 60 times in that same period. Here are the screen shots:

225.jpg
232.jpg

Its interesting, but I'm just now noticing the difference in how the app looks compared to last year

- - - Updated - - -

I assume it's the same issue discussed in THIS thread?

Yea, that's probably it. I'm glad they're being proactive about things but I wish they would be more open about what it is they're actually doing. I do own my car and I would like to know.

I had a similar argument with the battery contactors and decided to opt-out from the free upgrade since they didn't provide any details, they told me that there is nothing wrong with the car and was a proactive upgrade, which sounded fishy to me.

If your battery contactors fail, you will immediately lose all propulsive power which could result in a potentially dangerous situation. I would have them perform the upgrade. Sometimes the manufacturer does a "silent recall" and they are not at liberty to tell you, for liability reasons, what is wrong. But the offer of a battery contactor upgrade is one you should absolutely take them up on. Unless you want to roll the dice and potentially gamble with your safety, as well as those of your loved ones.