Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Self repair of headunit woes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 1.5 Roadster with the JVC KD-NX5000 headunit.

A while ago, for some reason, my audio system decided to only play out of the right speakers for 3 out of 6 inputs. The Satellite, Bluetooth and iPod inputs weren't working properly. The Radio, HD and CD worked fine. Took it in, got it fixed, everything was fine for a while. Then not long ago the headunit started making noises while I was driving, and when I turned off the car and got back in, those three previously broken inputs stopped showing up entirely. Turns out those noises must have been the system telling me that various inputs were being disconnected. Now they don't even appear when I cycle through my inputs. My iPod also does not charge, doesn't recognize itself as being plugged in. Another thing I noticed is that the headunit itself seems to be slipping out of place occasionally. In fact, on one drive, none of the buttons worked, I tried to reset it by taking the faceplate off and putting it back on, or holding down the reset button, and nothing happened - but the radio kept playing. When I got home, I turned off the car entirely, and the radio still kept playing. I noticed that the headunit had actually slipped out of place, like it was coming out of the space it's supposed to be in, and pushed it back in, maybe like a quarter inch or something like that. Then pressed the reset button and the radio shut off - but the three inputs are still missing.

My Roadster happens to be in the shop right now (they had to replace fuses in the PEM since it wasn't charging). It's been out of warranty for 4 months. Tesla says it will take a removal of the dash to fix this headunit problem, which is minimum 2 hours labor (~400 bucks). Since it happened just 4 months out of warranty, and not much longer after I already had the problem fixed before, I'm wary to pay for that fix and then just have to pay for it again if it happens again. Is it possible for me to fix this myself? Can the headunit be removed and replaced without taking the dash off? Is taking the dash off feasible for me to do myself? Does anyone have any experience with this, or should I just have Tesla do it/deal with not having access to Bluetooth etc (which I was just getting to enjoy, since I just got a smartphone for the first time :-/)?

I was also thinking of the possibility of installing carplay in my car, even though I only have single DIN (and carplay is only ever going to be double DIN?) I know someone else posted about it recently and it's going to cost quite a bit of money to get the parts, get someone to install them, etc. etc. But that's another reason why I don't particularly want to spend money to fix this headunit, since maybe I'll just swap it out for something else at some point.

edit: got my car back from service, and the Bluetooth input did show up....then sat on "starting bluetooth system..." for a minute or so, then said "Reset 08". It has done this before, I forgot to mention it. Upon googling the error, it says the problem is that the adapter isn't connected, which is what I figured the problem was. Now just to figure out how to fix it on my own...

Last edited:
I'm very close to having my Double-DIN conversion installed. I'm just waiting on the 2.5 half-circle vents that my local service center claimed they ordered for me last month.

I might be able to sell you my JVC. It works just fine. You can pretty easily get that headunit out and access the wires and connections. I think all you need are some car stereo tools. A decent set costs about $10 on Amazon.

I'm very close to having my Double-DIN conversion installed. I'm just waiting on the 2.5 half-circle vents that my local service center claimed they ordered for me last month.

I might be able to sell you my JVC. It works just fine. You can pretty easily get that headunit out and access the wires and connections. I think all you need are some car stereo tools. A decent set costs about $10 on Amazon.

Aha, that's right, you were the one who i was thinking of. Keep us updated on the carplay situation :)

Those tools are just what I was looking for. I don't think there's a problem with the headunit itself, honestly. I think some connections are just loose behind it. I was just wondering if it's possible to take it out myself without removing the dash. Have you done that, or know if anyone has done that? I'll definitely look up the tools and probably buy a set just to see if they work. 10 bucks is not bad.

Fango,

look at my thread for the Alpine ILX-007. I give a step to step of removing the dash. It isn't hard at all. However, if you are just removing the head unit that should be easy without dash removal.