Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enthusiastic but realistic view of an electric car owner’s life in Québec, Canada.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"You can’t charge on 110 volt when the car is outside at -25℃". Why? All energy goes to battery warming?

That is probably the case, I gained about 1 km/hour of charge and when I left, the battery pack was cold. You need 220volt to warm up a cold battery pack or a very long ride.

- - - Updated - - -

Those 50km of range loss must at least be partly due to the algorithm. Have you ever balanced the battery? If not, I am sure you will gain back at least half of your "lost" range.

Yes, I balanced several times with the same results. I was expecting some gain like other people reported it. Service recommended I keep it charged to 80%.

Last edited:
Good article but I don't understand the part I have put in bold below:

For me, driving 435 km in an electric car was absolutely priceless but it did not last long. The first year, my battery pack “stabilised” and by the end of the year, I had lost about 30 km of range. Recently, I lost a another 17km. I learned the hard way by discussing with other Tesla customers and reading forums: Battery pack degradation varies a lot from one battery pack to another. Even if, you really take care of the battery pack and follow Tesla recommendations to the letter the result will be the same.

Are you telling people it doesn't make any difference if you follow Tesla's recommendations since the result will be the same as not following their recommendations depending on the nature of the battery pack? That's how I read it but I don't agree with that. If you do a lot of range charges, or let it sit at 100% or empty, it does accelerate degradation. I don't think there's any doubt about that. Perhaps you did a lot of full cycling of your battery rather than drive it within the "daily driving" window?

I certainly hope I don't lose 50 km after two years and I haven't loss 30 km after one year like you did. Last time I did a range charge I was only down a few km's from when it was new about a year ago.

Good article but I don't understand the part I have put in bold below:

Even if, you really take care of the battery pack and follow Tesla recommendations to the letter the result will be the same.

Are you telling people it doesn't make any difference if you follow Tesla's recommendations since the result will be the same as not following their recommendations depending on the nature of the battery pack? That's how I read it but I don't agree with that. If you do a lot of range charges, or let it sit at 100% or empty, it does accelerate degradation. I don't think there's any doubt about that. Perhaps you did a lot of full cycling of your battery rather than drive it within the "daily driving" window?

I certainly hope I don't lose 50 km after two years and I haven't loss 30 km after one year like you did. Last time I did a range charge I was only down a few km's from when it was new about a year ago.

I daily charged at 60% during summer time for my commute. During winter, I charged between 70 to 75% depending on how cold it would be. My goal was to make sure I would not go lower than 50% daily. I only range charged for long trips and never left the pack at 100% more than a few minutes because this creates a stress on the pack.

I could have only charged at 80% daily and would have probably ended up with the same results.

Last edited: