Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front trunk manual open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I previously had an S85, traded for a p85d.
in my P85D, the manual frunk open lever under the glove compartment is missing.

Is it supposed to be there? Does anyone with a P85D have the lever? Or did they make mine so fast they forgot to put it in, QA issue?

i will mention it to service center, but I was curious if it is supposed to be missing.

then it seems there is no external non electrical way to open the frunk.

Thanks

Is it supposed to be there? Does anyone with a P85D have the lever? Or did they make mine so fast they forgot to put it in, QA issue?

i will mention it to service center, but I was curious if it is supposed to be missing.

Thanks

I believe they removed it as part of the frunk latch redesign. Now that there is only one latch, a manual release would be a safety hazard.

In the manual there is a parenthetical that says this isn't on newer cars. So yes this appears to be gone.

Ok thanks, I thought I read through the manuals pretty good, I will check again. In one way, without the second safety latch it makes sends to not have a manual release, but, I was also thinking about the case where if there was no power, you could not open it. Thanks again for the reply.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe they removed it as part of the frunk latch redesign. Now that there is only one latch, a manual release would be a safety hazard.

Makes sense.

The owners manual is down level and offers no assistance for P85D, and I suspect all MS models, with the new Frunk release mechanism in the event of latch failure. Service has no instruction on how to open the Frunk for the new latch when it fails to open, other than bring in the car and we will figure it out.
My latch failed on the third opening. The primary latch releases but the secondary latch remains locked. The new design without the release cable is not addressed in the owners manual except to say newer models do not have the referenced release cable that is shown in the manual.
I can release the secondary latch by inserting my finger in the latch opening and "fiddling" with it long enough until it releases, not an acceptable solution for my wife. Does any one have any information on how to release the latch in the event of failure or did they really think the latch would never fail?

Thanks

On the D models, the front-axle motor got in the way of the cable release from the glove box, so they had to do away with it.