Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SunPass Mini

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a Pennsylvania resident, visiting Florida in my Tesla S next month.

Does anyone know if the SunPass Mini works any better than the regular transponder?

I already have the front bumper special transponder for EZ-Pass in PA, and didn't won't to go through the bother of a new front transponder for just one month.

Suggestions?

While not directly answering your question, have you checked to see if EZ-Pass is accepted in Florida? My NC Quick Pass front bumper transponder (behind my nose cone) works fine in Florida Sun Pass stations (as well as with EZ-Pass up north).

Just tagging in this thread. I'm in Florida for a few days, and I do have a Sunpass "mini" stick-on RFID tag. But it sounds like nobody has really found a good position other than holding it out the window or sunroof --- is that 100% effective?

Also, I've added my car and tag # to the Sunpass website, so they have a record of my car there.

Exactly which tolls now still have the gate arms and which ones will do the photo/plate detection if the Sunpass tag isn't picked up?

I'll mostly be going from the Universal/Disney area to the Orlando Supercharger, and then from Orlando down to Vero Beach. Does the Yeehaw junction toll still have gate-arms? When I went through there a few years ago in a rental with the sunpass mini, I held it out the window, it didn't read, and I couldn't get the gate to go up, really pissing off about 6 cars behind me. It eventually worked and I got through.. I'd just like to avoid that again if at all possible, so I'm hoping those tolls now can do the license plate photo reads.

thanks.

Mine has been mounted here for a year and no issues. My plate is also registered to the sun pass so even if it doesn't sense it Sunpass just deducts the toll from my account instead of sending a toll by plate bill.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Electric700
I have the Sunpass mini -- just a flexible plastic card with the RFID in the middle. I went through 3 or 4 tolls today holding it outside my open window, and it would not read. I'm just hoping it captured my license plate number on my account.

How long does it take for the license plate reads to hit my Sunpass account?

Also, does the license plate reads also work in EPass roads with my Sunpass account?

The mini actually needs affixed to the window. I have in my other cars and it states it uses the window as an antenna. It is non removable without destroying it.
I never actually checked how quick they apply the toll by plate to the account.
I don't have an answer about the Epass.

The mini actually needs affixed to the window. I have in my other cars and it states it uses the window as an antenna. It is non removable without destroying it.

Ok, that makes sense, but with the MS windshield blocking the radio waves, mounted on the windshield or not, I guess it won't work. I might try mounting it on the outside or the nose cone. Is there a document somewhere that describes how it uses the windshield as an antenna? Seems strange to me.

If you don't have window tinting film on the windshield, then I recommend trying the mini stuck to the shaded part just to the right of the mirror. Some windshields will work and some won't. But it definitely will not work without being stuck on the windshield - I know that from experience with other cars. There is a note here: Sales Locations
that says this: Note: The SunPass Mini Sticker transponder will only operate when affixed to glass windshields. They are not designed for use on motorcycles.

As for posting time, license plate reads generally take a day or two while transponder reads post much faster.

I highly doubt mounting it to the nose cone would work since its plastic. Sure is a puzzle for short term use. The suction cup one is the best option but its $25. Not really worth it for short term use.
May not be worth the hassle versus just paying cash tolls. Sunpass is maybe a 25-50 cent savings per toll. Problem is the exits that are sunpass only. But then those have the toll by plate cameras.
As long as there are no gate arms you should be set to get the cheaper tolls through the toll by plate billing to sunpass account scenario.

I have used my sunpass on the EZpass toll road that runs east west just North of the MCO airport. I think it was the Beeline route 528.

Hopefully someone else has a good idea for you

If you don't have window tinting film on the windshield, then I recommend trying the mini stuck to the shaded part just to the right of the mirror. Some windshields will work and some won't. But it definitely will not work without being stuck on the windshield - I know that from experience with other cars. There is a note here: Sales Locations
that says this: Note: The SunPass Mini Sticker transponder will only operate when affixed to glass windshields. They are not designed for use on motorcycles.

As for posting time, license plate reads generally take a day or two while transponder reads post much faster.

Mine is not stuck to the window. In fact it would not work at all when stuck to the window. Mine is stuck to the rear view mirror and works 90% of the time.

Let's be clear that the OP is talking about a Sunpass mini, which is a very different thing than the regular transponders. It's basically a sticker that has a tiny chip in it. I've had them in previous cars and they would not work without sticking them to the windshield. They also would not work if peeled off and stuck to a different car.

^ This may not be true. I was informed, direct from ExpressPass that Sunpass is set up to delete the Express lanes charges from accounts whose cars require an outside transponder (like the Model S), and if this does not happen automatically, you can call Sunpass and the charge will be removed. Just check your statement on line each month.

So has anyone actually applied the Sunpass Mini or the portable Sunpass (the one with the suction cups) to the Model S window and had it work consistently? Seems like BlkCld has the portable one working. I posted a thread a week or so ago with some concerns I had from the issues reported on this forum and someone stated that the window has been fixed to allow EZ pass signals to pass thru. This person has over 4000 posts so I would like to think they know what they are talking about but perhaps they don't.

Click here for link

So has anyone actually applied the Sunpass Mini or the portable Sunpass (the one with the suction cups) to the Model S window and had it work consistently? Seems like BlkCld has the portable one working.I posted a thread a week or so ago with some concerns I had from the issues reported on this forum and someone stated that the window has been fixed to allow EZ pass signals to pass thru. This person has over 4000 posts so I would like to think they know what they are talking about but perhaps they don't.

Hi,

I don't know if the windshield design has changed, but I have the original windshield and have had no problems getting the portable SunPass with suction cups to work. What I did was Velcro the transponder to the back of the rear view mirror stalk. I find that it is less conspicuous and works better than mounting it on the windshield.

By the way, if you are interested in joining our Florida Tesla club, please click on the link in my signature.

Larry

Last edited:
I have an early (Dec 2012) Model S and the portable works inconsistently mounted just below the windshield dots in front of the mirror. Any lower and it never works. I have never received a notice from Sunpass. Charges are then based on license plate reading. This is not a problem when your Sunpass is in the car with the correct tag, but if you move it into another car (visitor from up north?) you may have a problem. I will be having Tesla Service Center install an external Sunpass beneath the nosecone at my next service visit.

I have an early (Dec 2012) Model S and the portable works inconsistently mounted just below the windshield dots in front of the mirror. Any lower and it never works. I have never received a notice from Sunpass. Charges are then based on license plate reading. This is not a problem when your Sunpass is in the car with the correct tag, but if you move it into another car (visitor from up north?) you may have a problem. I will be having Tesla Service Center install an external Sunpass beneath the nosecone at my next service visit.

Hi Robert,

I also have a an early December 2012 Model S and I have found that the portable transponder always works when Velcroed to the rear view mirror stalk rather than being mounted on the windshield. 100% of the time I always get the green light Thank You acknowledgment with this arrangement.

For those people on the East Coast of Florida that have the HOV stickers that permit them free access to the HOV lanes, this arrangement is very convenient because the transponder can easily be removed and shielded. For those people with the transponder mounted in the nosecone it is not possible to turn off the transponder by shielding it. Therefore, despite having the HOV sticker they would be charged while traveling on the HOV lanes.

Larry

Hi Robert,

I also have a an early December 2012 Model S and I have found that the portable transponder always works when Velcroed to the rear view mirror stalk rather than being mounted on the windshield. 100% of the time I always get the green light Thank You acknowledgment with this arrangement.

For those people on the East Coast of Florida that have the HOV stickers that permit them free access to the HOV lanes, this arrangement is very convenient because the transponder can easily be removed and shielded. For those people with the transponder mounted in the nosecone it is not possible to turn off the transponder by shielding it. Therefore, despite having the HOV sticker they would be charged while traveling on the HOV lanes.

Larry

I tried the suction cup model in many different locations, including velcroed to the mirror stalk, and it never worked - nada, zip, zero. I now have the external version mounted under the nosecone (service center did it for free in about five minutes).