Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge rate on a 32A home charge point ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys,

As title really, just wanted to know in rough miles added per hour you are seeing. (Strictly speaking mine is 30A Polar box), and I'm getting < 17mph and this seems a tad low.

Just wondered what you are getting.

Answers greatly appreciated.

Ta

Simon

I typically see 21MPH charge rate from my Leviton EVB45-3PT 30A wall unit. Voltage reported within car is usually around 240V. 8 gauge wiring used - 40A circuit.

(ninja edit - in the U.S.!)

Thanks gekkota, I guess I should have asked for UK only to make it a fair comparison :D (Note to self, must remember the UK posts show up to everyone :D )

There are some engineering differences in the charging hardware between European and US cars, and different parts of the EU have slightly differing voltages..

- - - Updated - - -

Hello Simon,
18 mph at 30 amp on my Chargemaster

Thanks, roughly same ball park.

I could swear I've seen seen slightly higher, but maybe that was on a "full-fat" 32A public with a lower SOC and warmer ambients.

Mine, with ChargeMaster, is 19 mph.

the figure you get will be proportional to the mains voltage at your house. The EVSE limits the current to typically 30 (chargemaster) or 32 (Rolec) amps.

if you are a long way from your mains supply transformer, your voltage is likely to be a little lower and thus the energy supplied and therefore your charging rate.

20150115_083702939_iOS.JPG

I don't have a car .. just nosing around.

Power equals current times volts, thus P=IV

So 30amps x 230 volts give you 6,900Watts, call it 7KW.

Divide the battery capacity by 7.

So a 85Kwh battery should take 12 hours from empty to full charge.

Since I see you refer to Miles per hour for range.

Take range, 300 divide by 12, time to charge, gives you 25.

25 seems to match(in theory) the miles you can charge at per hour.

Does that make sense/right to you guys :) ??

Andy

View attachment 69507

Andy

You're not factoring in efficiency loss. And it's 265 miles max, not 300. 17-19mph is around the right range for 30A 220V.

Andy

Hi Andy.

Broadly speaking yes you are correct, but as others have pointed out there are some losses, and some differences between models as to how much 1kWh = in miles, and indeed some settings you can change that alter how optimistic the car is (typical or ideal). There's also an option to show charging / main display in "energy" rather than a "miles" prediction.

I've never checked what the charge rate is in "ideal" mode, which is how you'd get the display to get close to registering 300 miles.

As you aren't an owner, it's worth pointing out that really this is all a little moot if you have home charging. The reality for day to day charging, is it doesn't matter how fast the charge is as long it completes in the period between when you get home at night, and the time you leave in the morning. This is one of the best features... never having to stop at petrol station on my way to work.

If you were out and about and needed to do more than the range of the car, you'd be looking for a Supercharger first then a 22kW charge point at a push. Those 7kW ones are OK if you can leave the car a long time to park, but no good for "en route" charging.

I had an interest because I'm experiencing an issue on 22kW posts with my car, and wanted to check it hadn't effected my home charge rates.

HTH
Simon

p.s. I'm guessing you drive a 911, I hope you didn't park it in the charge bay when you took those photos ;)

Arrh ok, Nope 911 went, RS4 came and went .... been sitting on my thumbs while business picks up ...

I live near two SC points ... I will inspect at somepoint, LOL, shall I park there, LOL

Also, since I can't find the info, which charge network do you lot go with?

It seems to me ChargeMaster charge alot, compared with SourceLondon, who in fact are they say charge points??

Have you ever been stuck at a charge point, but not having the right card? So case in point Pod-Point ...

As an aside, how do they 'stop' a 65Kw car charging at a SC ?? From what I saw, you just 'plug it in'?

Ta

Andy

I was at a Chargemaster/Polar commercial point today rated at 7kW, I received an in car message "reduced charging due to a cable fault". It's the Blue Type 2 that came with the car. Anyone else have a OEM cable issue or do you suspect it was the charge point?

Gary

Arrh ok, Nope 911 went, RS4 came and went .... been sitting on my thumbs while business picks up ...

I live near two SC points ... I will inspect at somepoint, LOL, shall I park there, LOL

Also, since I can't find the info, which charge network do you lot go with?

It seems to me ChargeMaster charge alot, compared with SourceLondon, who in fact are they say charge points??

Have you ever been stuck at a charge point, but not having the right card? So case in point Pod-Point ...

As an aside, how do they 'stop' a 65Kw car charging at a SC ?? From what I saw, you just 'plug it in'?

Ta

Andy

Wow, a lot of vary valid questions :D

Don't park in the SC bays, you'll have the Tesla army after you ;)

Seriously though, there is a mess of charging infrastructure, and TBH it's really aimed at Leafs / Zoes. There are 3 main categories of getting a charge:

1) Home charging: If you have this and drive less than your battery range, then you are golden!
2) En Route Charging: You are driving somewhere beyond the range of the car, so you need to stop and "refuel" Superchargers are awesome if they are on your journey. 22kW units are OK at a push.
3) Destination Charging : You are driving somewhere, and you plan to stay a while e.g. a Hotel, a days business meeting, airport, etc. etc.

I live in Nottingham, and can drive on a single charge to most major UK cities, so I don't need "en route". The problem is it's so flaky with all these "operators", that you maybe give it a 50/50 chance of success in finding option 3. Then you have to fall back to option 2 on your way home :(

I've picked up a SourceLondon card, a ChargeMaster card, and an Ecotricity Card. I haven't bothered with a Plugged-In-Midlands card because I can go anywhere in the Midlands and back in a charge :D.

If you live somewhere that has no off street parking 1) is out the question, so you must use 2) or 3)

There's 2 ways the 60kWh cars are restricted from charging.
1) The car whilst capable, has some software flags set that refuse to charge on a Supercharger (the car can tell what sort of power it is receiving)
2) The car sends it's VIN number over the charge cable when you plug-in. This can be checked against a database of cars allowed to use it.

HTH

Simon

p.s. My mate went from a 911 to an RS5... he traded it in fairly shortly after for another 911. He's driven my car, and loves the instantaneous torque, but said it's too much like a big fast Audi to get him out of a 911. I bought the cheapest Tesla I could get away with for commuting, and bought a track car that makes the 911 feel like a boat ;)