Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X will have the same batteries as the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was already noted that the Tesla Model X sub-site update is basically just rehashing of old information, so it is not necessarily a confirmation of anything - if the web team is in the dark about release details or future plans are still in flux or if they have decided against revealing anything new yet. This is, basically, years old information. Digital Trends is just jumping to conclusions.

But sure, 60 kWh and 85 kWh have always been there, so there isn't really much reason - beyond speculation - to think they wouldn't be released.

Some people seem confident 60 kWh won't be released. I don't agree, but we are all speculating of course.

The battery capacity is listed as the same. Of course, we won't know until the order pages are up.

That also doesn't mean that it is using Model S cells... there are rumors that a cell chemistry change is coming. Even if that is true, any gains in specific energy are likely dwarfed by the weight gain going to the X body.

So then all these recent news reports are covering old news? Here's another one:

Tesla Model X goes All-Wheel Drive Only » AutoGuide.com News

I doubt Tesla proactively updated its Model X website yesterday with old, inaccurate information. Especially since it was on the heels of Elon's speech at the Detroit Auto Show where he reinforced that the Model X would indeed have its falcon wing doors.

We've known the X was going to be AWD for ages now. I think they updated the site and included what info was still relevant and left out all else. We've known from the previous update to the page that it would be AWD and that they planned to offer a 60 and 85kwh option. I'm guessing one blogger spotted the new site, ran with a story as new info, and as tends to be the case, other sites picked up on it and re-reported in their own ways.

Man, the press is just making something of nothing. Tesla obviously took of that old site and filling the new homepage design with the old text and one old pic of the alpha, while they are updating the page in the background, so that is just a transitional space-filler!

And the press makes a lot of stories of that, convincing uninformed people, that would be something new and it would be for sure, that the X will come exactly like this. Tomorrow they probably tell us, the pic shows the production version.

Or if they read my post, they will say: Oh, hey look, that is a space-filler, we knew it - Tesla will show the X next week! ->No! It could stay like this for months!

News business gets more and more ugly nowadays.

Last edited:
The Model X won't have the same battery as in Model S. Model X will have the same battery capacity but different batteries 20% lighter. Looks like the press gets everything wrong each time they write an article. Better for the newspaper to just publish the homepage or what is said in interviews directly and not try to add or write something else. Guess newspaper then don't need any educated journalists, just people to copy and paste but it looks like the newspapers already have fired all the educated journalists...

The Model X won't have the same battery as in Model S. Model X will have the same battery capacity but different batteries 20% lighter. Looks like the press gets everything wrong each time they write an article. Better for the newspaper to just publish the homepage or what is said in interviews directly and not try to add or write something else. Guess newspaper then don't need any educated journalists, just people to copy and paste but it looks like the newspapers already have fired all the educated journalists...
I read this rumor as well. If true, why wouldn't they put the lighter batteries in the S, too?

Maybe the term battery refers to the battery pack which may have the same form factor and capacities. I guess we really won't know which 18650 cell they use until the car is manufactured.
I think I heard from one interview of Elon in Detroit that not even the form factor will be exact the same. They will probably maintain the 18650 cell format but will not need as many cells for the same capacity. They would then be able to save even more weight an space by changing the form factory of the battery pack. Probably it's only the capacity that is unchanged and even that is probably not 100% the same because of new type of batteries.

I think I heard from one interview of Elon in Detroit that not even the form factor will be exact the same. They will probably maintain the 18650 cell format but will not need as many cells for the same capacity. They would then be able to save even more weight an space by changing the form factory of the battery pack. Probably it's only the capacity that is unchanged and even that is probably not 100% the same because of new type of batteries.

I'm thinking that the weight savings from changing the form factor of the pack wouldn't be a big deal, but it would make it more difficult to use the same battery swap hardware. I think if they can cut out weight from batteries they will, but the "box" they are in will stay the same.

I read this rumor as well. If true, why wouldn't they put the lighter batteries in the S, too?
They probably will in the future and even be able to give Model S larger battery pack. I can think of several reasons why they do not do it today:

*They have backorders for the old battery still
*They want to focus on getting hight production of cars, new battery typ will slower production rate
*They want to focus on Model X and not give more options to Model S before Model X is out.
*They want to earn as much money possible and it is better economy to wait for new battery pack to Model S.

Model X will probably have to wait some extra years after Model S for higher battery capacity just to wait for an even better battery cell.

I remember him saying for for the Model 3, not for the Model X. The Model X will have the same battery packs as the model S. As they are built in the same platform. Now, that being said, I do expect that when they do start manufacturing the newer cells as the gigafactory that they'll also upgrade the entire fleet to use the same cells. That'll make manufacturing easier and also help drive down the costs of production. It makes sense. But for now I expect the entire battery pack to be 100% identical to the Model S. Even swappable with one. I would be surprised if they are any different. From an engineering perspective their goal should have always been to share as much components as possible. I think the S and the X are even being built on the same production line in the factory. I know Elon's said on numerous occasions they'd be the same. I wonder if you misinterpreted this for the X when it was meant for Model 3 or if something else was just taken out of context. For the Model 3, Elon has said they will be using a different form factor completely (not the 18650) so they they'll be slightly bigger hence more density /capacity per cell resulting in less number of batteries needed for size and driving down the costs for Model 3 even further. Anywho my point is that I think the comment made or your interpretation of it was meant for the Model 3, not the X. If he said explicitly for the X and its on video, can you post the link?

I remember him saying this for the Model 3, not for the Model X. The Model X will have the same battery packs as the model S. As they are built in the same platform...But for now I expect the entire battery pack to be 100% identical to the Model S. Even swappable with one.
That was my understanding as well. I realize everyone is hoping that the Model X will debut a 100+ kWh battery or an 85 kWh battery that is 20% more efficient and therefore provides greater range, but I haven't seen any evidence that Tesla will be improving anything battery-wise beyond what it did for the P85D.

That was my understanding as well. I realize everyone is hoping that the Model X will debut a 100+ kWh battery or an 85 kWh battery that is 20% more efficient and therefore provides greater range, but I haven't seen any evidence that Tesla will be improving anything battery-wise beyond what it did for the P85D.

FWIW, from the guy who posted the X CAD rendering:

I've been asked about X battery options and I'd like for everyone to get the answer.

The model X will have only 85 and 60 battery.

The form factor has changed slightly. Comparing to 2012-S, the batteries are roughly 20% better. However instead of putting more batteries in the car, the efficiency is used to take weight out. When you model battery size vs. range there is a point at which increasing battery size has diminishing returns (due to added weight). That point rests almost squarely at 85kwhr for the next 3 years. Current improvements in battery energy density are not best used to add more pack power, but to reduce the weight of the vehicle allowing longer range with the same 85kwhr pack.
X is slightly overweight as it stands now and every attempt is being made to save weight wherever possible. Considering it is a much larger car, the efficiency gains in batteries will show themselves when it achieves the same range as the S.

I was not aware that they changed ANYTHING on the BATTERY of the P85D. Can you cite something for this ?