Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it just me that finds the "cold-weather" alert lamp annoying?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can not understand why an alert beep and message on the display for a few seconds, like all other cars have, was not enough for Tesla.
The first time the lamp came on during driving I was sure that something terrible was going on. A bright yellow alert symbol in the dash that does not go away is never a good sign, and since I was driving I did not manage to see what it was, so I had to pull over.
Since it's winter time over here it's on all the time, so annoying :cursing:!

Well we certanly get black ice conditions here as well, but why keep the warning light on forever, a few seconds like other cars do would be sufficient.
But I guess I have to live with it ;)

Anyway, I am very happy about how the car handles snow and ice, but I look forward to the spring and removing the hard top for the first time...

Well we certanly get black ice conditions here as well, but why keep the warning light on forever, a few seconds like other cars do would be sufficient.
But I guess I have to live with it ;)
On my old BMW, the car would chime (and scare the crap out of me), a message would pop up on the display, and the dash light would stay illuminated as long as the temperature was below the threshold. I think the Roadster's dash is just smaller, so it's more noticeable, but the behavior isn't much different than other cars I'm used to.

Yes it is annoying, but this is far from the only car on the market sporting that irritant. My last gas car had the same thing.

It's pretty insulting for a Canadian - we know when it's freezing, trust me. We have lots of experience.

On my old BMW, the car would chime (and scare the crap out of me), a message would pop up on the display, and the dash light would stay illuminated as long as the temperature was below the threshold. I think the Roadster's dash is just smaller, so it's more noticeable, but the behavior isn't much different than other cars I'm used to.

That's what I remember from my 635CSi as well. I think my old VW GTI did the same thing...

My winter car, a Volvo (the roadster is a winter garage queen) lights up when the temperature is around freezing point but the warning dissapears below -5C... at that point it considers we ought to have noticed it's freezing cold outside!
I find that behaviour quite reasonable.

I can not understand why an alert beep and message on the display for a few seconds, like all other cars have, was not enough for Tesla.
The first time the lamp came on during driving I was sure that something terrible was going on. A bright yellow alert symbol in the dash that does not go away is never a good sign, and since I was driving I did not manage to see what it was, so I had to pull over.
Since it's winter time over here it's on all the time, so annoying :cursing:!

Why would this alert be anymore "annoying" then headlight on indicators?

The warning light does go off - if the temperature rises above 39°F !

I do not find it annoying, because black ice could be around any corner, not just when you first start driving. The constant warning keeps me constantly alert for potential traction issues. When I have a passenger that I care about, I'm particularly thankful to be reminded. In Norway, perhaps you have to deal with freezing conditions so often that it's second nature, while the rest of the world only rarely sees such cold temperatures.

What I do find annoying is the traction control coming on every time I drive over railroad tracks or some other very brief bump. I dont' see why a flashing yellow alert is more helpful than just waiting for extended traction issues before engaging.

In many areas it doesn't mean a lot because they are very cold for three to six months, or they are never particularly cold. However, in some areas such as the Pacific Northwest, it's nice to know that what you are driving on is likely to be just water rather than black ice.

> What I do find annoying is the traction control coming on every time I drive over railroad tracks or some other very brief bump. I dont' see why a flashing yellow alert is more helpful than just waiting for extended traction issues before engaging. [S-2000 Roadster]

You mean 'traction control LIGHT' of course. I think this light is less of a warning, rather more of just an indication that all systems are working in the car. Appears when differential action is detected vs front wheel rotation (I think).

At least it is silent as opposed to the loud TPMS random reminder that hits when you least expect it (when your rims lack TPMS devices).

Snowflake: thanks for the explanation of what this actually is! Another 'no response required' notification. I thought maybe it was some defroster thingy. My Forester flashes the temp numerals whenever it hits 37F.
--

Last edited:
I must be dense, because I don't recall seeing this. I've seen "Re-Gen Disabled" and such, but don't believe I've seen a simple "It's cold" message. My old Cadillac had an "Ice Possible - Drive with Caution" message that used to come up.

I did see this for the first time yesterday when the battery was at 20%:

IMG_0153.JPG

You'll get this message if the charge is low and the battery pack is cold. I've had it happen more than a few times, but mostly on longer trips in cold conditions.

When my car was just a couple of months old I had it pop up at IRCC 30%+ and -22C ambient when I stopped to pick up an ice scraper on my way to Peterborough. After driving for a couple of hours the battery pack was still feeling cold! There's a lot of exposed area under that battery pack.

You'll get this message if the charge is low and the battery pack is cold. I've had it happen more than a few times, but mostly on longer trips in cold conditions.

I had just driven about 100 km and the message popped up just as I pulled in to my garage. I was able to comply and commence charging about 30 seconds after getting the message :smile:

I had just driven about 100 km and the message popped up just as I pulled in to my garage. I was able to comply and commence charging about 30 seconds after getting the message :smile:

LOL yeah, I've only ever had it pop up when (a) I'm about to plug in anyway, or (b) I'm 100 km away from any usable plug.

Not as annoying as the Roadster's icy road light, though.