Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed in app, features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
newbie just got my tesla ms85d iam in Canada not as happy as I thought I would be
first got the car big storm came in the wipers got frozen in could not clean them so I wanted to turn on the wiper heaters
well you cant do that from the app and you cant turn on the defrost as well just the car heater so I had to sit in the car for 35 min waiting for the wipers to get loose enough to start cleaning the windshield a big design flaw in my mind
then I call about this and all I get is what a good idea they would not tell me when they are going to put this in the app or not same disappointment when I picked up the car it was not all there was the old seats not the new and no consul
plus I was under the impression it would have autopilot and all the new stuff talked about
anyway they just keep saying its coming, to be honest I would have waited for the car to be ready finished then I could have left my 150,000 in my stocks and made more money while waiting anyway just sayin

Given that it's software and the car just came out and these features can be added over time you're really disappointed enough to take a $10,000+ dollar hit on the car just because of this? Why didn't you check to see if these mandatory features were there before you ordered the car? NigelM has a great question too, what cars do have this feature?

Defroster access has been high on the list of requested features for the app for awhile now. We'll probably get it eventually. Doesn't seem significant enough to warrant taking a huge bath on the sale, but hey, it's your money.

To Nigel and others: Hyundais can do this explicitly via their app, and Volvos will restore to the last state (ie, turn the defroster on when you get out of the car, then turn climate control on with the app and it'll include the defroster). I'm not aware of others. BMWs don't.

Interesting to hear someone complain about the Tesla app when most if not all of the other automaker are showing off their "latest and greatest" features phone apps at CES 2015 that is coming in the *future* that can control the car just like what we had on the Tesla for a while now. Doesn't really make sense to me.

To Nigel and others: Hyundais can do this explicitly via their app, and Volvos will restore to the last state (ie, turn the defroster on when you get out of the car, then turn climate control on with the app and it'll include the defroster). I'm not aware of others. BMWs don't.

Interesting, thanks. We've not even had a frost this winter, and ice is something we only use for keeping our drinks cold, so it's not something I normally bother to look for in a car.

Personally I was quite surprised the OPer expected the Tesla Rep that answered the phone to immediately add that functionality, or tell him when it would be added.

In Minnesota, when we get frozen windshields I take out the ice scraper. Much quicker and takes much less time. I do know of others that would rather run the defroster though.

Defroster access has been high on the list of requested features for the app for awhile now. We'll probably get it eventually. Doesn't seem significant enough to warrant taking a huge bath on the sale, but hey, it's your money.

I have suggested this to ownership: either have an option for it to tick either in the car or app - do you want the heated wipers to turn on with pre-heating? Seat warmers? Rear defrost (includes side mirrors). I would have this checked all the time. All these heating features are very useful and draw far less energy than the resistive cabin heater anyway. When it's there on the car it is kind of annoying that you can active it remotely - after all I'm thinking it would be fairly easy to impletement. Low hanging fruit.

Just like with any other car, a simple ice scraper or credit card would have freed the wiper blades. Snow brush with ice scraper is usual winter equipment around here and Orillia.
And about the comment of leaving the $ 150k in the stock market, that would be a good one right now with the market tanking.

I am trying to understand the OP: is he saying that he is selling his brand new S because it does not have "wiper heaters" (I don't know what those are), doesn't have the not-yet-released "Autopilot and all the new stuff" the app will not turn on the defrost, and Tesla would not promise or give a specific date as to when the app would work the way he wants it to, so he is going to lose tens of thousands of dollars (he can't recoup the VAT and license fees) selling it now?

Surely that can't be right...

When I lived in Toronto I found that an ice scraper would free up the wiper blades while I had the car running and defrost on max.

I am trying to understand the OP: is he saying that he is selling his brand new S because it does not have "wiper heaters" (I don't know what those are), doesn't have the not-yet-released "Autopilot and all the new stuff" the app will not turn on the defrost, and Tesla would not promise or give a specific date as to when the app would work the way he wants it to, so he is going to lose tens of thousands of dollars (he can't recoup the VAT and license fees) selling it now?

As Tesla grows and the owner base expands there will be owners who haven't fully understood what the car can do and what it can't do. That someone can get frustrated with things isn't a surprise but experience tells me that after folks have a little time to consider their own comments then their actions in the end are usually different.

well like I said my rep told me things that were just not true
and I still don't have the seats I ordered or the consul and for the most expensive sedan in the world I would at least like to get what I was told I was getting
and there was no mention of
the range at 20 below cuts in half
had the car for a cupule of weeks and its required serves twice and is going back next week again just sayin