Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next-gen REAR seats no longer available for new orders, please post feedback on yours

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else notice the Design Studio no longer has next gen rear seats?

Maybe this is in another thread (Buried deep about the next gen seats), but I can't find it.

Was playing with the design studio today and when you switch to next gen seats, the rears don't change. I was in a MS last week that had the front next gen seats, and I asked the sales rep (Before we got to the car) if it had the rears. He said yes. I told him I was surprised as I hadn't heard anyone having the rears yet. When I got in and looked at the rears, they didn't LOOK like the next gens shown online. Didn't have the high head rests or the big bulges between the seats. But they also didn't look like the original seats either.

Maybe Tesla did away with the CRAZY next gen rear seats? And just did a mild upgrade to the rears for all cars?

Mod Note: Threads merged. Please see Post #12 for word from Tesla.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do have the NG seats front and back, so it seems they have this solved now.

Yes they solved it by putting in the old seats and still asking the same outrageous price for just Next gen front seats.
The first picture is the new configuration. Notice the old vertical stitching. The second picture are the previously advertised "Next Gen" seats.
So it looks like they are weaseling out of replacing the rear seats for those who already took delivery of their P85D with the old rear seats.

Attachments

• Next gen seats 2015.jpg
    Next gen seats 2015.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 5,230
  • Next gen seats.jpg
    Next gen seats.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 5,171
Yes they solved it by putting in the old seats and still asking the same outrageous price for just Next gen front seats.
The first picture is the new configuration. Notice the old vertical stitching. The second picture are the previously advertised "Next Gen" seats.
So it looks like they are weaseling out of replacing the rear seats for those who already took delivery of their P85D with the old rear seats.

Actually even more than you think. As someone else pointed out in another of the threads on the subject. Even the PDF for your order has changed to this new/old combo... however, my price has been reduced as well by $1000.........

-------------------------------update---------------------------------

I would rather have the exec back seat and now my P85D has just finished production.... So hopefully can retrofit or have to cancel and re-order.... I guess i might be looking at May delivery instead of currently end Feb..... :-(

I called Tesla Ownership on 1/14/2015 at 9:45 am PST regarding the fact that next-generation seat option is no longer showing the rear next-gen seats on the configurator (see before/after pics below).

Apparently, due to some feedback from existing owners of the next-generation rear seats, Tesla has decided to discontinue them for new orders starting this week. It sounds like Tesla is saying that people have been complaining about them, but I'm not so sure about that.

So, if you have next-gen rear seats, can you please post your feedback here?

Thanks!
-Marc

BEFORE (front & back):
Interior view.png

AFTER (front only):
Screen Shot 2015-01-14 at 10.10.06 AM.png

Last edited:
Based on info from a Norwegian DS, this is due to customers complaining that the rear seats do not fold as flat as the FirstGen seats. According to the DS, all customers that have ordered NextGen seats will be asked if they want to keep them or not.

My initial impression is to keep the seats, as the difference in "flatness" seems minor and is not a key issue for me. However, if there are other problems related to comfort etc. I might change my mind.

So, before deciding on this, please give your impression of the NextGen back seats. Any feedback is very welcome!

In all, very strange behavior from Tesla, as the NextGen fronts and FirstGen back seats do not really match. Also the ones now shown are the "old" FirstGen seats with the small head restraints. Also I thought the larger head restraints were needed to pass the 5 Star NCAP security test.

They need to make all front seats delivered in all Teslas "next gen" and remove the insane price for upgraded seats.

this. every non-P85D owner shouldn't be forced to suffer with the uncomfortable old seats. the next-gen seats should be standard on all vehicles. I find it ridiculous for them to revert back to the old seats in the rear. now there is a mix of new and old seats - screwed up is what I call that.