Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Visiting SF in a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I live in the SF South Bay and have family coming over from overseas. We typically go visit a few places around the area and suspect they'll want to go to SF. That would be 5 people in the car.
Is it a good idea to do this in a Model S? I have a P85D with air suspension, and wonder whether I should be concerned about maneuvering around "less than perfect" roads (potholes, steep slopes, etc). Anyone who's been in SF knows what I'm talking about.

I remember about 20 years ago my first time in SF with an old '84 Nissan/Datsun Sentra manual coming up Lombard from the non-twisty side with 4 people on board. I wasn't sure my clutch was going to make it (it started smelling). It was quite uncomfortable, but with a P85D and Hill Start Assist, shouldn't this be basically "taken care of" by the software?

The other part of SF is the people/places (security-wise) - somehow one needs to know places to park and to go to to avoid "certain folks" who may not care so much about your new car.

So I'm wondering whether it's wise to go there with a new P85D, or take my 4 year old Buick Enclave (which, ironically, may struggle more on those hills).

Advice? Suggestions on "safe routes/parking"?

Thanks!

-- Greg

Hi,

I live in the SF South Bay and have family coming over from overseas. We typically go visit a few places around the area and suspect they'll want to go to SF. That would be 5 people in the car.
Is it a good idea to do this in a Model S? I have a P85D with air suspension, and wonder whether I should be concerned about maneuvering around "less than perfect" roads (potholes, steep slopes, etc). Anyone who's been in SF knows what I'm talking about.

I remember about 20 years ago my first time in SF with an old '84 Nissan/Datsun Sentra manual coming up Lombard from the non-twisty side with 4 people on board. I wasn't sure my clutch was going to make it (it started smelling). It was quite uncomfortable, but with a P85D and Hill Start Assist, shouldn't this be basically "taken care of" by the software?

The other part of SF is the people/places (security-wise) - somehow one needs to know places to park and to go to to avoid "certain folks" who may not care so much about your new car.

So I'm wondering whether it's wise to go there with a new P85D, or take my 4 year old Buick Enclave (which, ironically, may struggle more on those hills).

Advice? Suggestions on "safe routes/parking"?

Thanks!

-- Greg

Greg - the roads aren't any worse in SF than most of the other parts of the Bay. I think you're overthinking this...way overthinking. Your car will be more than fine.

As for the parking and "certain folks" that isn't exclusive to SF either - just be smart about valet services - inspect before and after (make sure that they see you). A Sunday afternoon down on Pier 39 or over in the Marina will be exactly the same as an afternoon in Santana Row or down in SJ city square. Just use your head and you'll be fine...

@redox, I live in San Mateo and drive around SF regularly as I work at various hospitals in the city. I see no reason to be overly concerned. Drive carefully, keep your eyes on the road, and don't speed: in other words, just like you should drive everywhere.

And of course in a Tesla dealing with the steep hills in SF is easy, especially with hill assist. I love driving an EV in the city, the hills are fun!

The car will survive SF just fine. You'll see plenty of other Teslas there. There's also plenty of EV charging in the city.

Enclave might be more comfortable for the back seat passengers, just not as fun.

(Funny, my other car is also an Enclave. But I still took the Tesla to SF.)

+1. If you have 19s then you should be fine with the heavy load. if you have the 21s then I would say drive slow just for precaution.

Greg - the roads aren't any worse in SF than most of the other parts of the Bay. I think you're overthinking this...way overthinking. Your car will be more than fine.

As for the parking and "certain folks" that isn't exclusive to SF either - just be smart about valet services - inspect before and after (make sure that they see you). A Sunday afternoon down on Pier 39 or over in the Marina will be exactly the same as an afternoon in Santana Row or down in SJ city square. Just use your head and you'll be fine...

Use valet as much as possible to minimize dings. Atleast you only have to worry about the valet attendant and not multiple random strangers parking next to you. Or park as far as possible to a "bucket" or park next to a Tesla. You'll see a bunch of them in the city. There's also a couple of Tesla charging station inside Westin (3rd st.) and Fairmont hotel in downtown SF. So if you plan to stay in the city, those are your two choices to park & charge your car and just Uber around if you like.

Good luck!