Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Health effects

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you talking about positive health effects of driving an electric over an ICE since there is less exposure to exhaust? There are no negative health effects and the only time I've seen it mentioned is by nutters that think the wifi in their house gives them cancer or something ...

Have there been any studies looking at any health effects in driving around in an electric car for extended periods of time?
If your talking about effects EMF, there are several threads on that topic:

EMF Radiation
EMF (Eletromagnetic field) in Tesla Model S
Any problems for EMF sensitive people?

If your talking about health benefits: I find driving the Model S lower my stress levels and makes me feel generally happier. It also results in less Carbon Monoxide inhalation. :)

Have there been any studies looking at any health effects in driving around in an electric car for extended periods of time?

If you're thinking particularly of electromagnetic fields, there's been testing and the field has not been found to be any greater than in a conventional car, and if anything can be less. Same is true of hybrids, which also have high-voltage electrical systems.

I'd be interested in the health benefits of reduced vibration and noise, something generally noted by drivers of hybrid buses.

Many cars now have built-in cellphones, but that's not an electric-vehicle-specific thing.

I am about to begin the first phase of testing for EMI in ICDs, using primarily my MS and another p85 in a variety of scenarios (e.g. home charging, supercharging, acceleration, etc) similar to the 2012 study with the Prius. I am sure that it will be negative, but it will be reassuring that the only thing shocking you is the pure acceleration --

I am about to begin the first phase of testing for EMI in ICDs, using primarily my MS and another p85 in a variety of scenarios (e.g. home charging, supercharging, acceleration, etc) similar to the 2012 study with the Prius. I am sure that it will be negative, but it will be reassuring that the only thing shocking you is the pure acceleration --

Cool, mind linking /referencing the study? I googled it but didn't seem to get what you mention.

Cool, mind linking /referencing the study? I googled it but didn't seem to get what you mention.

The Prius study was presented as a poster at ACC in 2013. In my discussions with one of the authors, it is still in press. Here is a link to an article about it:
Relax, electric-drive vehicles play nice with pacemakers, defibrillators

As for my study, I will be doing it in collaboration with Mayo. The devices from the 4 major manufacturers are finally in my possession (it was surprisingly difficult to obtain them). Now just to find the time to finish drafting my protocols and perform the trials. I will post the abstract here once available.