Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D front motor vibration issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my D yesterday. Love the car of course, BUT I can sense a light vibration sometimes in the steering wheel. My old P85 started to develop some serious vibration noise which sounded like bad bearings. Kind of "Whup whup whup" on slow speeds.

If I drive slow with the D and put just my fingers on the wheel I can feel a slight vibration with a similar sound type.

Anyone experiencing this ?

Most likely a wheel balance issue. Make sure you don't have any caked on mud (anything significant) which would cause a weight imbalance. If not let Tesla know and they should be able to check the wheel balance for you.

Very likely not a vibration from the motor...those puppies are smooth as glass.

A few days after getting my P85 I noticed a "tick tick tick" sound when driving, most noticeable when driving slow. I thought "oh no, bad wheel bearing." A few days later I was showing the car to a few people and one of them said "did you know you have a screw stuck in your tire?" Tire shop pulled the screw, checked for leaks, and I was on my way - with no more ticking.

Is Tesla going to be airlifting thousands of motor mounts to Norway just as they airlifted thousands of drive units? And at what point is someone at Tesla going to say wow, this is silly, maybe we should engineer things a little bit better or test things a little bit more before we actually ship a product?

Amped, that's a pretty broad indictment considering we're talking about a handful of reports over three months, at least one of which was shown to be due to something entirely outside Tesla's control (a screw in a tire).

Is Tesla going to be airlifting thousands of motor mounts to Norway just as they airlifted thousands of drive units? And at what point is someone at Tesla going to say wow, this is silly, maybe we should engineer things a little bit better or test things a little bit more before we actually ship a product?

End of quarter rush. I think they will continue to have these outliers. Tesla had admitted themselves that they are making changes on the line as builds happen. I'm sure some just don't get fully tested. And from a business perspective, it's probably more cost effective to have the service center deal with it outside of the factory, than it is to halt production. I've always said it's a dangerous game to spend the good will of the SC so early on in the purchase, not to mention making it the customers problem to resolve. But hey, it will work that way until it doesn't.

I recently had a P85 loaner, so I could verify that my feeling is not wrong. Totally different, in my D I really "feel" the drive shafts in the steering wheel. After driving the P now it is REALLY annoying.

Good to know that this might be a known issue and that there is a fix. Any P85D owner in the Tampa/St Peter area to drive my car and give me his opinion ?