Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vague announcement from Honda: new BEV in 2018!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

anticitizen13.7

Not posting at TMC after 9/17/2018
Dec 22, 2012
United States
http://hondanews.com/releases/honda...-honda-fcv-concept-makes-north-american-debut

Honda's presentation at NAIAS today was mostly about the next-generation FCEV and some turbocharged ICEs, but also announced was this:

In an effort to ensure Honda's environmental vehicles remain strong competitors and provide a new sales-volume pillar, the company will offer several next-generation, advanced powertrain vehicles, including a new battery-electric model and plug-in hybrid model by 2018.
In the past, Honda has pursued a 2-tier strategy for EVs: Fuel Cells for long-distance cars, of which the FCX Clarity is the most publicized example, and Batteries for city cars. Honda's only BEV to my knowledge was the limited production Fit EV, which could only be leased in certain markets.

With emphasis on the Honda FCEV for 2016, it seems likely that Honda will unfortunately produce a short-range BEV for 2018. The only good news is that Honda generally makes cars with good driving dynamics, and the Fit EV was actually a better handler than its ICE sibling.

I wonder if there's pressure from Tesla, or maybe Nissan, that is pushing Honda towards a commitment to BEVs.

I wonder if there's pressure from Tesla, or maybe Nissan, that is pushing Honda towards a commitment to BEVs.
I doubt it. Probably just another compliance car. Honda really really really doesn't like EVs. That's okay, I really really really don't like them anymore (after being a "Honda/Acura" guy for such a long time) because of that. Well, that and the Acura "beak".

I doubt it. Probably just another compliance car. Honda really really really doesn't like EVs. That's okay, I really really really don't like them anymore (after being a "Honda/Acura" guy for such a long time) because of that. Well, that and the Acura "beak".

The beak cost Acura dearly. The Acura TL sold 70k units/year at one time. The generation that introduced the "beak" was a total flop... barely moving over 30k units/year. Styling really hurt the brand.

Honda is an engine company. They make and sell internal combustion engines and things powered by them: cars, motorcycles, generators, even aircraft.

The company's full name though is Honda Motor Company. Yes, they are experts in internal combustion engines, but they have a fair amount of experience with electric motors as well. Their new hybrid systems are elegant feats of engineering, and their pure electric motors are decent too.

The company's full name though is Honda Motor Company. Yes, they are experts in internal combustion engines, but they have a fair amount of experience with electric motors as well. Their new hybrid systems are elegant feats of engineering, and their pure electric motors are decent too.
The drivetrain in the 2014 Accord Hybrid and Accord Plug-In Hybrid is really very good. The drive motor is over 100kW. I remember reading about that when the first technical articles came out and thinking "what are they doing with a 100kW motor in a hybrid?". Well, it exclusively drives the wheels below 45mph. There is no transmission, just a fixed gear reduction, like most EVs. Below 45mph the ICE is not clutched in to directly drive the wheels because it would simply be turning too slowly to be of any use. At low speeds the ICE is just turning a generator and the accessories. If you're paying attention there is quite a disconnect between the engine speed and the road speed and acceleration that cannot happen if there is a real transmission of any kind.

Honda's problem with these cars is they just won't build enough. Sales in the second half of 2014 average less than 1,200 units. That is less than 2 units per dealer per month nationwide. Pitiful. A quick search shows only 43 cars within 200 miles of San Francisco and no dealer has more than 3. A similar search for Nissan Leaf shows 1,255 cars with 7 dealers that have more than 80 in stock. The only explanation is that Honda can't or won't ramp up battery production. Full year 2014 sales were 13,977 Hybrid and 449 Plug-In. For reference, Camry Hybrid sold 39,515 units, down 11% vs. 2013 and Fusion Hybrid sold 35,405 units, down 5% from 2013. The Accord Hybrid EPA MPG is 4-7 mpg higher than those cars at 50 city, 45 highway.