Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone hearing a short duration hissing noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my P85 for a few months (End of Sept 2014). About 3 weeks ago I heard a short duration (about 1 second) or so hissing noise. It sounds very similar to air brakes of a truck. I thought that is what is was so I ignored it. But just a couple days ago it happened again and there was no truck in site and it sounded like it was coming from the front of my car on the passenger side. It has been cold here for a couple weeks (Michigan). The air suspension is not changing any position. I know what that sounds like.

It happened today about 3 times from the office to home (10 miles). One time I was slowing down and another I was at a steady speed of about 40 mph. Everything feels fine, no concern with ride or steering.

I searched for hiss on this site but did not come up with much of anything. Just wondered if anyone else has heard this sound.

I've had my P85 for a few months (End of Sept 2014). About 3 weeks ago I heard a short duration (about 1 second) or so hissing noise. It sounds very similar to air brakes of a truck. I thought that is what is was so I ignored it. But just a couple days ago it happened again and there was no truck in site and it sounded like it was coming from the front of my car on the passenger side. It has been cold here for a couple weeks (Michigan). The air suspension is not changing any position. I know what that sounds like.

It happened today about 3 times from the office to home (10 miles). One time I was slowing down and another I was at a steady speed of about 40 mph. Everything feels fine, no concern with ride or steering.

I searched for hiss on this site but did not come up with much of anything. Just wondered if anyone else has heard this sound.

I have heard it many times ... It often comes up as I am coming to a stop or have just completed a hard turn, even if I haven't used the friction brakes. I have suspected it was a hydraulic pump for the brakes or steering system.

I haven't heard the air suspension make any sounds when the car has gone up and down, though.

Thanks for the response. I don't think i know all of the sounds of the car yet since I only had it 3 months. In the cold it probably has some different sounds at times than when it is warmer. I was just concerned some when I heard some hissing at times since it was new to me.

The sound of the suspension I was talking about is a low sound volume of the air pump when it is being changed to a different height setting.

Definitely the air suspension. I noticed shortly after taking delivery in Late Sept and it was a harbinger of a failing solenoid and leaking compressor. They replaced both immediately. When I initially called them about it, they said they take anything to do with the air suspension very seriously and to get it in right away. I ended up having to have it flat bedded to the SC when an error message appeared saying the suspension could not raise and it was stuck in low, which I had not selected. Soit must have sunk down on it's own. The car drove perfectly fine and I really had no problems. Service was truly outstanding.

I have not heard it since getting the repair done. However, if you only hear it occasionally, I would think it is part of the normal process. Could be worth a five min call to them just in case.

Thanks everyone. I did call service and they said it is probably the air suspension. But if I hear it often to give them a call back. They did say it might be more noticeable when it is cold out. I did not hear it for a couple days. I appreciate the responses.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry to hear about your problem. Great to know Tesla reacts quickly. Hopefully this does not happen too often and from what I read here that seems to be the case.

Definitely the air suspension. I noticed shortly after taking delivery in Late Sept and it was a harbinger of a failing solenoid and leaking compressor. They replaced both immediately. When I initially called them about it, they said they take anything to do with the air suspension very seriously and to get it in right away. I ended up having to have it flat bedded to the SC when an error message appeared saying the suspension could not raise and it was stuck in low, which I had not selected. Soit must have sunk down on it's own. The car drove perfectly fine and I really had no problems. Service was truly outstanding.

I have not heard it since getting the repair done. However, if you only hear it occasionally, I would think it is part of the normal process. Could be worth a five min call to them just in case.