Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how has has your energy usage gone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I looked down and saw this today. It went over 1400 Wh/mi a few minutes later, but I wasn't able to take a picture.

OjLbU9j.jpg

No, I wasn't driving at ludicrous speed. I was averaging about 20 mph over the 5 miles. It's just the effect of urban traffic and cold weather during a Chicago winter, using energy to heat the battery and cabin.

Wow! What was the outdoor temperature, and how long a cold soak did you have before starting out?

Here in MD, we have it relatively easy and the coldest I've seen in the Tesla so far in two winters is -15 C (5 F). It sits at work all day and puts on a pretty big burst for the first 10 miles when I head home. But I don't think I've seen it go much off scale (600 Wh/mi, 900 Wh/km). Today it wouldn't go up much at all and I eventually realized I had range mode enabled to see how much it limited the load. ;=)

It wasn't all that cold--19 degrees. It had been outside for about 24 hours. There were days last year when it was 10 below for a high temperature. The energy usage was routinely above 1000 Wh/mi for the first 5 miles, but not as high as this--perhaps because I hadn't left it out this long. Yes, it does come down once the battery pack has warmed up. It's interesting to note that, with the car not moving, energy is flowing at 12-15 kW to provide the heat.

Definitely the car doing it's own thing prior to you driving it. Happens to me too. Sometimes, I pull out of the garage and I have 999wh/mi and other times it's 340 or so. Depends on how the car is managing itself from when you last parked until your next drive. Having it plugged in changes the number dramatically. But it settles right down after a few miles.

I had something like that when I got stuck in a 5 hour traffic jam going up the mountain to Big Bear Ski Resort.

I always thought going slow would gives the best range, but it turns out stop and go up hill traffic at an average of 2 miles per hour and hour is not ideal. :smile:

I was up over 1400 watts per mile for several hours. At one point it estimated my rage to be 17 miles (and I had over 23 miles to go!). Once I got past the chains required check point, I was able to go 30 mph for the last 20 miles, and ended up with 90 miles RM when I arrived.

IMG_0261.JPG