Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"The X will have a step beyond what we’re currently shipping on the autonomous front"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems to me like the only things missing from the current sensor suite are long range rear view (which the mirror-cameras should address) and side looking cameras to identify traffic at stop signs or lights.

I'm hoping the X comes with three way mirror pods - rear, side, and down for birds-eye/360 on each side.

Once you have that, I think it is just software. :)
Walter

"The X will have a step beyond what we’re currently shipping on the autonomou...

Probably will include Secure Foam as well... :rolleyes:

Securefoam - YouTube

I always wonder, why there is no development from airbags, like this. Ok it was meant funny, but all we got the last decades, were more airbags in cars, but no better body-injury-protection at all!

On the other hand, if autonomous is reality in all cars, accidents will happen significantly less often then today.

Meh, who cares about the electronic wizardry, i personally cant wait to order the wood panelling option

:love:

I've got you covered.

Screen Shot 2015-01-13 at 5.47.49 PM.png

It seems to me like the only things missing from the current sensor suite are long range rear view (which the mirror-cameras should address) and side looking cameras to identify traffic at stop signs or lights.

I'm hoping the X comes with three way mirror pods - rear, side, and down for birds-eye/360 on each side.

Once you have that, I think it is just software. :)
Walter

Model S also misses front cam(s) in the places where 360 makes them most useful, the mask/bumper area. They with side cameras would surely be a welcome addition.

LOL :)-) How about as a 100% tint for the windshield to see if autonomous feature really works?

When training for instrument flight we used to have these combinations of windshield blockers and 'masks' that would cover from the panel upwards.
9408.jpg

Irrationally, it takes much more of self control to not jump in and grab controls when you can't actually 'see' why the autopilot does what it does.

I always wonder, why there is no development from airbags, like this. Ok it was meant funny, but all we got the last decades, were more airbags in cars, but no better body-injury-protection at all!

On the other hand, if autonomous is reality in all cars, accidents will happen significantly less often then today.

It is a good question. However, there have been many advances in Air Bag Technologies since their inception, just as their have been with seat belts from being passive to active collision tensioning. Side Curtains, Dual, and multiple Intensity levels have replaced the simple air bag from a few decades ago. Laser and weight technologies to determine who and where passengers and drivers are seated, and how far from the air bag so it can intelligently "explode". Studies have been done by the NTSB and other bodies, not to mention auto manufacturers to continuously improve passenger protection. Mercedes, for example, now includes three-level air bags in many of their cars (Mercedes gives these patented safety improvements to any car manufacture). In my prior Jaguar, it had low level laser sensors that determine the passenger's height and distance from the air bag which determined how the air bag would react.

It seems these improvement are "background" improvements that aren't as "sexy" as other conveniences. There are numerous articles on the internet about changes, improvements and their affects on passengers and drivers. I would assume that Tesla, like other auto makers acquire air bags from subs who use the latest technologies and control systems.