Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Search for song, choose listed song = plays a different song?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I search for a song on spotify it lists the song but then when I play it, it simply titles a playlist by the song name and plays a different song.

What am i missing?
You mean Slacker, Spotify, correct?

I think you need the Premium Slacker service to be able to play exact songs and albums. The Tesla accounts appear to be somewhere between their free service and their Premium $10/month service. At least we don't have to listen to ads. If you pay $10/month you can upgrade and, presumably, also use the service on your phone, tablet, PC, etc. But you are likely limited to one stream at a time so if you are listening in your car then your wife can't be listening using your account at home.

When I search for a song on spotify it lists the song but then when I play it, it simply titles a playlist by the song name and plays a different song.

What am i missing?

Slacker likely doesn't have the rights to play the exact song you want. The song is in its database, so it can select similar songs for you, but it can't play that exact one. Tesla buys premium Slacker accounts for the vehicles, so in most cases requesting a specific song will work as expected. Note that many of the better Slacker features aren't available in the vehicle's UI, but you can request Tesla send you the login/password for use elsewhere if you like.

Slacker likely doesn't have the rights to play the exact song you want. The song is in its database, so it can select similar songs for you, but it can't play that exact one. Tesla buys premium Slacker accounts for the vehicles, so in most cases requesting a specific song will work as expected. Note that many of the better Slacker features aren't available in the vehicle's UI, but you can request Tesla send you the login/password for use elsewhere if you like.
Possibly Slacker doesn't have the rights but the account that we have with our Tesla is not quite a Slacker Premium account. I just subscribed to Slacker Premium, at least for one month, and you can select and play individual albums and songs. I don't think you could do that with the default Tesla account. But the UI doesn't seem as good as the Slacker phone, tablet or PC UI as when you search for an artist it doesn't appear to show you all of the Albums by the artist. To play an Album it looks like you have to search for the album by name.

@hemants - If you want you can send me the name of the song (either in this thread or via PM) and I will try it with the premium account.

Possibly Slacker doesn't have the rights but the account that we have with our Tesla is not quite a Slacker Premium account. I just subscribed to Slacker Premium, at least for one month, and you can select and play individual albums and songs. I don't think you could do that with the default Tesla account. But the UI doesn't seem as good as the Slacker phone, tablet or PC UI as when you search for an artist it doesn't appear to show you all of the Albums by the artist. To play an Album it looks like you have to search for the album by name.

@hemants - If you want you can send me the name of the song (either in this thread or via PM) and I will try it with the premium account.

It is actually Slacker Premium, it's just the Tesla UI doesn't support many of the features. If you get your login info from Tesla you can use it to play albums and songs individually on other devices. While in the car, you're locked into the Pandora-like autogenerated-playlist-from-a-song behavior.

While this is possible, I have experienced the same issue as OP with songs that I know Slacker has rights to. I don't know if this is a bug, or if there is some sort of limitation on the Tesla-provided account (i.e. x number of requests per hour/day/month).

Interesting, could be either. It definitely should work. When you request a song, it's supposed to play that song and afterwords songs like it. If it doesn't have rights to a particular song, it skips right to songs like it. I haven't run into the case you describe, but admittedly I'm not using Slacker all that much any more.

It is actually Slacker Premium, it's just the Tesla UI doesn't support many of the features. If you get your login info from Tesla you can use it to play albums and songs individually on other devices. While in the car, you're locked into the Pandora-like autogenerated-playlist-from-a-song behavior.
How do you get your password for your account from Tesla?

In my Tesla I am now logged into Slacker with a non-Tesla Premium account for which I paid $10. I can play an exact album that I want in my car. Someone send me the name of a song or album that they want to play individually that they think should be in the Slacker database but that they can't play right now and I will try it out. For example I searched for "Harvest Moon" an album by Neil Young and the album played sequentially for me from Track 1.

Send an e-mail to [email protected] requesting your Slacker login credentials.
Can you setup custom stations on your desktop and access them in the car? I've noticed there's a list for custom stations in the Slacker interface in the car, but no option to create stations.

Regarding the issue of specific songs based on my experience there seems to be a timeout on how frequently you can request a specific song.

- If I request "Budapest by George Ezra" for the first time, it creates "Budapest Radio" and it starts out with the song I asked for, then switches to songs in the same theme.
- Four hours later, if I ask it to play the same song, it just switches to "Budapest Radio" and plays songs in the same theme instead of playing that precise song.
- Some time later (a day? two days? not really sure), if I asked it to play Budapest again, it'll play the song directly and then move to songs of the same theme.