Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nema plug on side wall or centre pillar?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a two car garage with a centre pillar. If you're facing the garage I park my car on the right side.

I have a choice to either

1/ put the Nema plug on the left wall - is the mobile cable long enough to run it up and over and down? if not, is it 'okay' for my wife to drive over the cable as long as it doesn't yank on either side?

Or

2/ the centre pillar - cable is quite long so I would put a hook high up and have it hang back down above ground.

Option 1 would be simpler and cheaper.

I have a two car garage with a centre pillar. If you're facing the garage I park my car on the right side.

I have a choice to either

1/ put the Nema plug on the left wall - is the mobile cable long enough to run it up and over and down? if not, is it 'okay' for my wife to drive over the cable as long as it doesn't yank on either side?

Or

2/ the centre pillar - cable is quite long so I would put a hook high up and have it hang back down above ground.

Option 1 would be simpler and cheaper.
Option 1 would not be desirable as I don't think it would reach and not a good idea to run over it.
Option 2 would be easy, most of us coil the cable on some form of hanger.
The obvious question is why don't you just switch spots?

I put mine on the center pillar. On the rare occasion that I park on the left the cable will reach comfortably. Usually most of the cable is coiled on a hook just beneath the outlet because the distance to the charging port ends up being about 2 feet. Although the cable is quite thick and durable, I wouldn't advise repeated running over of the cable on a daily basis if the plug were on the left wall.

1. The charging cable is in NO WAY designed to be driven over by a car.
2. The UMC has a low probability of having the necessary length for option 1.
3. Proper planning and install by you and your licensed electrican is beyond important for reliable and SAFE charging.

Good-Luck!

Are you parking pulling head-in, or would it be possible to to back the car into your garage?

I back mine in, as it was the least distance from the electrical panel to the desired outlet location.

First couple of times it was a challenge to park that way, now I prefer to typically park backing-in.
Rear camera helps a bunch.
If you have a newer tech package, mirrors should retract/fold-in.

Are you parking pulling head-in, or would it be possible to to back the car into your garage?

I back mine in, as it was the least distance from the electrical panel to the desired outlet location.

First couple of times it was a challenge to park that way, now I prefer to typically park backing-in.
Rear camera helps a bunch.
If you have a newer tech package, mirrors should retract/fold-in.

Yes, I have my outlet on the center pillar and back into the left hand bay putting the outlet right next to the charge port and allowing me to open my driver side door.