Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking Volunteers for an EV Project at Everett Community College 1/20 and 1/26

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Tesla Owners!

My name is Joe Graber and I am an Engineering Instructor at Everett Community College. One of the classes I teach is an Introduction to Engineering Course where students learn basic engineering analysis through hands-on projects. One of the projects I have developed is based on Electric Vehicles. Students perform calculations to compare the cost and environmental impact of electric versus internal combustion vehicles.

We did this project for the first time last spring and also completed it in the Fall. In order to get the students interested and provide hands-on experience I have planned "EV Days". Due to the generous participation from owners on this forum, the EV Days have been huge successes. In Fall, I was joined by JackA, ThortsMD, breser (came both days), and psingram. The Nissan dealership also bought a couple leafs. Those of you who participated, I can't thank you enough for volunteering your time! You were able to answer all of the students questions, give rides, and have hopefully have a little fun at the same time.

The event had the same incredible impact as it did in Spring quarter. I can honestly say that I have never seen students as excited to learn as after they step out of a Tesla. I also saw many attitudes change. Students became passionate about electric cars and want to know more about how they work.

I would love to do the same thing this quarter so I am looking for volunteers who would like to show off their cars to a group of enthusiastic engineering students. Last time we started off with a 45 minute question and answer session and then gave rides to students 4 at a time.

It is completely up to you whether you would like to simply answer questions and show your car, or take students on short rides (no students will be driving). There will be one or two Leafs there at the same time that students will be able to ride in. So if you are hesitant to let students ride along, don't let that stop you from coming.

We have multiple sections of this course so I am arranging two different days. Here are the times and dates:

Tuesday January 20th from 10:30 AM - 1:30 PM ish
Monday January 26th from 4:00 PM - 5:30 PM

We are located at 2000 Tower Street in Everett. There are blink chargers located on campus (Level 2, 30 AMP).

The Tuesday session is longer because it will actually be for two class sections (10:30 - 11:50 AM and 12:20 - 1:30 PM with 1/2 hour lunch break, lunch provided). Each session will be approximate 25 students. The Monday session will be a little smaller.

If you can only make one session or even only come for a short time we would still love to have you!

Please let me know if you are interested or if you have any questions and thank you for your support!

You can send me a PM or email me at jgraber at everettcc dot edu.

Thanks!
Joe

Last edited:
Hi Joe, psingram here, ( AKA Sniper ). The 19th on my calendar is marked as MLK day, are you really having classes that day? Check the school schedule and let me know. I can be there both days, may bring the wife as she is a great at explaining the cars features.

Hi Joe, psingram here, ( AKA Sniper ). The 19th on my calendar is marked as MLK day, are you really having classes that day? Check the school schedule and let me know. I can be there both days, may bring the wife as she is a great at explaining the cars features.

Sniper, you are absolutely right! I overlooked that. I have modified the original post to show the 20th and the following Monday, January 26th. Looking forward to seeing you again, hopefully the 26th will work.

I just spoke to the Bellevue Tesla Dealership and it looks like they will be attending the EV day on 1/26. And it sounds like they may be bringing a P85D!!! It still needs to get approved, but I'm hoping.

So if any of you want a chance to check out the P85D you are welcome to join us.

Hi Joe,

It looks like I can make it on the 20th. It sounds like sniper will be there with a Model S, so I assume there is no issue with me showing up in a Roadster (aside from not being able to give as many rides). That will give us a chance to show how EV engineering has advanced, and the advantages of a dedicated platform. We could even talk briefly about upgradability and the new "400-mile" range package coming out for the Roadster, if you think that fits in with the discussion.

Well the next time we plan on doing this is during Earth Week on April 20th. Hopefully you will have your 85D by then. The all wheel drive will be nice, especially up where you live.

Odds seem good that I will (car went into production yesterday) but I may not be around for that since that falls near some work travel. But I've penciled you in the calendar.

Alright! For tomorrow (1/20) it looks like we have Sniper bringing his Model S and Chad S bringing his Roadster. If anyone else wants to join us, we will be meeting at 10:30 am in Parking Lot F. Here is a campus map:
http://www.everettcc.edu/files/administration/college-services/security/parking/parking-map-print.pdf

Sniper, We will be parking in the same location as last time, under the roof of building 7 (Grey Wolf Hall).

If you have any questions give me a call at (425) 202-5634

See you tomorrow! Joe

The event on 1/20 went great and was a lot of fun. Thanks to Sniper, Chad, and Fred for joining us! The students are really excited to start their project.

Tomorrow, 1/26 we have the EV day for our Evening Students. Sniper will be joining us again and Alexander will be coming from the Tesla Dealership in Bellevue (hopefully with a P85D!), I also have a maybe from Jerry who would bring his roadster and a maybe from Tom at the Nissan Dealership who would bring his Leaf.

The event will take place from 4:00 to 5:00 or 5:30 pm in Parking Lot F. Here is a campus map:

http://www.everettcc.edu/files/admin...-map-print.pdf

I'll be in Parking Lot F at 4:00 to meet the attendees and direct them to the parking area in front of Grey Wolf Hall. If anyone else would like to join us, you are welcome to. You can reach me at (425) 202-5634.

Our next event will be for Spring Quarter on April 20th as part of our college's "Earth Week" celebration. I'll sent out another message then. I've got Breser and Alysashley79 penciled in for that event.

Thanks everyone for your support, it means a lot to the students.