Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On-street parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do any of you have access only to on-street parking and therefore rely only on the public charging network for charging your cars? If so, how much of a hassle is this and would you advise others not to do that?

I live in London and there are some charging points fairly near my house, but still a few streets away. There's lots of superchargers that I could get to, but alas no driveway or garage to install a charger. I'm currently think that if I can get Source London to install a charge point on my street too then I'd buy a Tesla, otherwise not. Any thoughts?

Depends on your milage demands. I have had the car for 7 weeks, and charged at supercharger almost all of the time...even though it is 40mins away I have so far managed to pick one up on the way home. Over Christmas I used the car every day nipping around town and did not charge at all as less that 200 miles.

I guess you can easily survive if near superchargers, just bring a paper or book and have some 'me' time for 30mins.

best car I have ever owned...better than my merc, lexus, jaguar...

Depends on your mileage, I could go a week without charging, and spending an hour a week topping it up wouldn't be the end of the world (not as convenient as home charging obviously though)

Q-Parks do have some pretty heft discounts for EV owners that can prove residency in London (I think a space is £600ish a year in certain car parks).

Is the street where you live narrow or subject to rat run traffic? That might be more off putting than charging, as you really don't want it to get damaged if you can help it (they are EXPENSIVE to fix)

Thanks guys.

smac, the street I'm on is quite narrow but not that busy so I'm not super worried about it, but it is a risk. It's a good point, I'll ask the neighbours if their cars have ever been damaged. Q Park would be good but alas they are all in West London and I'm in the East - good idea though.

My milage requirements are irregular short trips of < 20 miles and infrequent long trips of 150 miles or so. The car would often be undriven for a few days at a time, and then have to go on a long trip. Seems pretty workable actually.

Personally I wouldn't try to run an EV without having off-street parking at home. 95% of the convenience factor is the fact that the car is full every morning when you get in and you never need to worry about stopping for a charge.

That said, people absolutely do do it. If there's a supercharger within easy reach of you I'm sure you'd be able to make it work out.

And technically you are not committing an offence if you run a cable across your pavement to charge your car while it's parked outside your house, as long as you take "every precaution" to prevent accidents/tripping etc. A proper rubber cable mat and some black/yellow tape would almost certainly suffice. However you do run the risk of drawing attention to your car by having a plug sticking out of the side of it, and you may find that the local council do not like it (even though legally you are doing nothing wrong).

I live just outside the M25 on the Herts/Bucks borders. we have a drive & are going to install our own charging point. However, the wife works about 10 miles West of Heathrow so will once a week poodle along to the West Drayton Store plug the car in, get her laptop out, grab a coffee & put her feet up. once you get your head around it, that its free & worth the (supposed) inconvenience then its a no brainer. She never fills her car up & leaves me to take it to the garage once a week, so its even more convenient for me. You say you are in East London, you have Canary Wharf Supercharger and others in the East, although the Tesla website seems to be having issues on the SC page at present. Put it this way, if someone offered you a free tank of fuel every week if you took an hour out of the day, i imagine you would take their hand off.