Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

who insures your Tesla in MA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just moved from CA where I had insurance written directly through AAA at $1400 a year. I'm finding insurance on this car is much more challenging in MA. Surprised to see State Farm, Nationwide, and The Hartford all do not write in MA. Funny, when I was in CA everyone said: "oh CA is one of the worst states in terms of insurance cost" ... now all the insurance companies are telling me "oh MA is one of the worst..."

Who do you insure through in MA? Is there anyone local here I'm missing?

Liberty Mutual quoted me at $2200/yr and Geico at $2400/yr. Liberty Mutual at $1880/yr. All roughly with 100/300 protection. These are obviously EXTREMELY difficult to compare to anyone else's insurance (age/history/etc). Just curious.

Mine is a commercial policy through Safety Insurance and the premium is about $1200 a year, only 1 more vehicle on that policy. I placed it under a commercial policy just because I was getting similar rates under my name between $2200 and $3800 with Progressive (those guys are crazy).

I just moved from CA where I had insurance written directly through AAA at $1400 a year. I'm finding insurance on this car is much more challenging in MA. Surprised to see State Farm, Nationwide, and The Hartford all do not write in MA. Funny, when I was in CA everyone said: "oh CA is one of the worst states in terms of insurance cost" ... now all the insurance companies are telling me "oh MA is one of the worst..."

Who do you insure through in MA? Is there anyone local here I'm missing?

Liberty Mutual quoted me at $2200/yr and Geico at $2400/yr. Liberty Mutual at $1880/yr. All roughly with 100/300 protection. These are obviously EXTREMELY difficult to compare to anyone else's insurance (age/history/etc). Just curious.
It may be different now then when I moved to MA in the 90's, but back then, you didn't get automatic credit for multiple years with a clean driving record towards your MA rates, so check on this...

In the old system, a new driver was assigned a "step 15" rating. Every incident-free in the prior 6 years subtracted 1 from your rating, for a best rating of 9. The jerks at Met Life defaulted me to 15 when I appeared in the system, and never explained this to me. When I went with an independent agent a year later, they had me get a certified copy of my driving record, and I went from a 15 to a 10 (one speeding ticket in the prior year).

Check with your agent and make sure you are getting full credit for a clean record.

AAA doesn't do car insurance in MA, but Commerce Insurance gives a discount to AAA members. I've been on Commerce for ~20 years. I've had 3 accidents (only 1 my fault, other 2 hit while parked and rear-ended at a light), and they've always been easy to work with and a quick payout.

Another trick to lower your rates - get the highest deductible you dare, and sign up for "waiver of deductible" coverage. Waiver of deductible pays your deductible up front if there is another car involved, and you are less than 50% at fault (as opposed to waiting months for settlement to reimburse you for the deductible). This way you're basically betting you won't get in an at-fault accident. It covered me for both my not-at-fault accidents.

It may be different now then when I moved to MA in the 90's, but back then, you didn't get automatic credit for multiple years with a clean driving record towards your MA rates, so check on this...

In the old system, a new driver was assigned a "step 15" rating. Every incident-free in the prior 6 years subtracted 1 from your rating, for a best rating of 9. The jerks at Met Life defaulted me to 15 when I appeared in the system, and never explained this to me. When I went with an independent agent a year later, they had me get a certified copy of my driving record, and I went from a 15 to a 10 (one speeding ticket in the prior year).

Check with your agent and make sure you are getting full credit for a clean record.

Just a point of reference, I moved from NJ to MA in 1992, and had Liberty Mutual coverage in both states. I guess because I didn't change carriers, they started me out at Step 9 automatically. I never understood why they started at 9 when that's the lowest SDIP you could get.

Try MetLife.

Great minds think alike :)
To the OP (and new residents of MA): Beware, it was MetLife that did not give me the correct SDIP rating that I was due (and did not volunteer the information re: how to get credit for prior out of state years), and thus overcharged me for the whole period of my policy. Other than that, I had no issues (but never made a claim).

I can't say if this is commonplace, and whether this oversight was intentional or not.

This is definitely something all new residents need to be aware of - ask what your SDIP rating is, have them explain how it was calculated, and make sure you get credits for prior driving years pre-Mass.

Thanks to the many responses! Really happy to see a lot of feedback. I am going to call Metlife, Vermont Mutual, and Commerce Insurance. I unfortunately have no served and know anyone in my family that has served to go for USAA, although I've heard a lot of good things about them.

tliving, when did you start your USAA policy? They told me last year they still weren't licensed to provide auto insurance in MA.

When I first got my license a long time ago (>30 years). My dad was in the army even longer ago I've been renewing and using them in MA for 15 years with no issues. Im a big fan of USAA for insurance and banking.

My only issue insuring the Model S was it wasn't on their dropdown list for picking a car type when trying to add it online. I ended up having to get a manual override but otherwise its been insured and appears correctly on the policy etc.

Also using USAA and they have been great. My dad was in the service which allowed me to qualify. I believe they told me that unless one can "qualify" with a relative in the service they can't offer auto to folks at this time but hope to soon.