Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for wifi... while connected to wifi?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else experience this?

Most mornings when I come down to my car, it's sitting there with the message that I should pick a wifi network to connect to... but it also shows that I'm connected to my wifi.

I live in the city so my car can see about 15 other wifi networks that are being broadcast... but I don't want to connect to those networks obviously. Two problems with this are:

1. I don't get the calendar popup in the morning which my settings are set to, which I like.
2. I'm concerned there's an issue with my signal strength or connection to my wifi which is why it's prompting to connect to another?

I have a dedicated router sitting 3ft from the driver's B pillar and sometimes only get one bar of reception, which seems crazy to me. I know that I have seen another thread that talks about where the WiFi antenna is, but I can't find it again. Does anybody know where it is. Though I must say, it seems odd that a couple of feet would make that much of a difference.

Thanks!

Isn't there a Tesla Service Center Wifi connection that you can't remove?

Yes, don't remove that one.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a dedicated router sitting 3ft from the driver's B pillar and sometimes only get one bar of reception, which seems crazy to me. I know that I have seen another thread that talks about where the WiFi antenna is, but I can't find it again. Does anybody know where it is. Though I must say, it seems odd that a couple of feet would make that much of a difference.

Thanks!

I believe I saw one report which identified that the WiFi antenna (and the 3G one too, as I recall) is inside the driver's side mirror skull cap. I found the picture -> IMG_3826-web900.jpg

Last edited:
My wireless router is 3 stories above the car... however the signal strength shows as strong (not full, but 1 short)... so I hope its not an issue of connection strength.

My wireless router is 3 stories above the car... however the signal strength shows as strong (not full, but 1 short)... so I hope its not an issue of connection strength.

I use a Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR access point (AP-LR long range, Ubiquiti Networks - UniFi® AP), and it's in center of the house, on the second floor ceiling, covering the entire property. The car is about 30 feet from the AP, through timber and drywall, and I have full bars in my Model S.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe I saw one report which identified that the WiFi antenna (and the 3G one too, as I recall) is inside the driver's side mirror skull cap. I found the picture -> IMG_3826-web900.jpg

There are multiple antennas under the skull cap on the passenger's side mirror too. It could be that the WiFi antenna is on the passenger's side, and the 3G on the driver's side. The Model S needs to "see" the key fob, so I suspect those antennas are under the mirror skull caps too.