Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Executive Rear Seats With Arm Rest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

malcolm

Nov 12, 2006
MS Executive 4 seater vs 7 seater

Tried a quick search, couldn't find a link to this. Mods please move if appropriate - thanks

The Design Studio now offers a two rear seat option. However it seems that selecting this removes the option of selecting the kid's rear-facing seats in the back.

ui_option_executive_second_row_seats_large.jpg

Awesome! Looks great. Under the description in case anyone can't access the website "

Executive Rear Seats

Customize your Model S cabin with private and comfortable executive rear seats. Both leather wrapped seats include three zone heaters and are separated by a wide center console with hidden storage. Rear seat passengers can control media, climate and panoramic roof settings with the Tesla app."

Does this mean that someone will have access to the car through their phone? I'm guessing this is more of a "getting driven around in" option. Thoughts?

There was a recent discussion of Elon Musk receiving an Executive Rear Site Model S - just a coincidence probably, but one seat less after his divorce seem symbolic too.

First S85D sighting

Model S rear-seat experience is still quite bland if you compare it to the best the industry has to offer, but still a worthy addition this option. Looks nice.

For those of us with P85Ds waiting for Next Gen seats, I wonder if we will be allowed to opt to replace the Recaro rear bench with these new executive rear seats, and at what cost? I'd go for that. I've already got the Sub-Zero package and premium interior upgrade.

Ok, Ok, another new option that is linked to other options arrived early this morning on the
Model S Design Studio.

The new option is Executive Rear Seats. This option requires Premium Interior Package
and forces the choice of the Subzero Weather Package. The Executive Rear Seats builds
the rear cabin area with leather wrapped seats that include two zone heaters and are separated
by a wide rear center console with hidden storage and cup holders. Rear seat passengers can
control media, climate and the panoramic roof (if ordered) settings with the Tesla App.

Also of note, the Heated Steering Wheel is now offically mentioned in the description of the
Subzero Weather Package.

Also, the Premium Interior Package has had a slight price reduction.

The question I have on the Executive Rear Seats is as follows....

Will the rear seats fold down and what effect if any does the wide rear center console
have on the overall folding of both rear seats? I will have to call my local Tesla Sales
office to have them find out the particulars.

Frankly, I would have rather liked TM to build the rear seat heater controls into the
wide rear center console for easy access to rear seat occupants.

My overall opinion of this is good so far. I was going to order the Sub Zero and
Premium Interior Package so the Executive Rear Seats just add a few hundies
to those two options.

Also, the design center graphics now show the Executive Rear Seats if chosen.

Executive Rear Seats.jpg

Last edited:
MS Executive 4 seater vs 7 seater

I wonder if that eliminates the option to fold down the rear seat backs.

Good point. My guess is "Yes". The middle seat back section behind the rear center console likely cannot fold flat because the console is in the way.

But people who will order this option are unlikely to use their S to haul around big loads in the rear, so I don't see that loss of flexibility to be an issue.

I am puzzled as to why this new option is required to come with the Sub-Zero Package. Maybe because Tesla assume that most people who will order this new option will want heated rear seats because they will be sitting in the back while someone else drives the car, so why not throw in the complete Sub-Zero Package just to keep production simpler.

And I don't think having a car with this new option will suffer at resale. In this price range there are plenty of people who will never have the need to carry five passengers and will like the extra features in the rear seating area.

Good Catch Breser, regarding the Yacht Flooring! Just off the phone with my local sales person at TM.
The Executive Rear Seats are factory installed.
The two rear seats and the console are NOT adjustable or foldable from what he has found out about them.
They are permanently installed which will reduce large cargo capacity.
There is no middle seat as the arm rest console does not flip up.

So this is not an option for me at this time.

Good point. My guess is "Yes". The middle seat back section behind the rear center console likely cannot fold flat because the console is in the way.

But people who will order this option are unlikely to use their S to haul around big loads in the rear, so I don't see that loss of flexibility to be an issue.

I am puzzled as to why this new option is required to come with the Sub-Zero Package. Maybe because Tesla assume that most people who will order this new option will want heated rear seats because they will be sitting in the back while someone else drives the car, so why not throw in the complete Sub-Zero Package just to keep production simpler.

And I don't think having a car with this new option will suffer at resale. In this price range there are plenty of people who will never have the need to carry five passengers and will like the extra features in the rear seating area.

Good question about the foldable rear seats. They could still allow the sides to fold down I guess, but the executive segment is full of cars without folding rear seats, so maybe they just took the "easy way" out and left it fixed. When Audi made the A6L for the Chinese market in previous generation, the put in a special "executive" fixed rear-seat to replace the foldable seat.

Sub-Zero package is probably related to them manufacturing some related parts with only with seat heating. It is often such high-end options are tied with other high-end options because the volumes to offer the alternative setups aren't there.

Breser:
Just was told the Yacht Flooring is still included, just no longer mentioned.
Confirmed (from TM Sales) that Yacht Flooring is now standard on all Model S cars, no longer need
to get Premium Interior Package to get it.

Ecarfan:
Sorry, was not aware of other topics and did not intend to duplicate.

Last edited:

I dunno. You're basically buying the car for the backseat features which are very few right now. Since they're going this way, I expect Tesla will be continuously adding a ton of new features to future versions of this config. There's no reason we won't see reclining seats, a refrigerator in the armrest, folding tray tables and electric window shades before the Model 3 comes out.

Rolled the dice on which thread to reply to. The new option is cool, but what personally caught my eye in the description was the tesla app changes. Media control from the app? Multiple people running it, or are you supposed to hand around your phone or other device? Limited access to other functionality of the app for "back seat drivers"? I'd expect them to often be kids and or guests, so not appropriate to have them have full access to the app as currently designed. I'm looking forward to see how the app develops.