Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you buy a paintless Model S?

Would you buy a Model S that was primed, then wrapped (vs. painted) at factory?

• Yes

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • No

Votes: 17 53.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tomas

Out of warranty...
Supporting Member
Oct 22, 2012
Santa Barbara/New York
MODIFICATION: assume tesla can redesign unwrappable areas to be finished and exterior primed with sacrificial wrap. All for slightly lower price, let's say $2,500 reduction.

This was prompted by a post by RTZ suggesting "the future of paint is alternatives to paint" (thanks for the stimulating thought)!

With convenience and benefits of wrap vs. paint (e.g., self-healing, more resilient, potentially less expensive OEM and repair, wide selection of colors), would you buy a Model S that was primed, then wrapped (rather than painted) at the factory?

Last edited:
Is the OP suggesting that the factory would perform the final wrap? I don't see that as even a remote possibility. Primed and protected with a sacrificial film designed to be peeled by a 3rd party wrapping detailer: sounds like a good option for some, especially if there was a discount compared to the factory paint.

Is the OP suggesting that the factory would perform the final wrap? I don't see that as even a remote possibility. Primed and protected with a sacrificial film designed to be peeled by a 3rd party wrapping detailer: sounds like a good option for some, especially if there was a discount compared to the factory paint.
Hadn't thought that all the way through. Robots certainly could film at factory, but your idea of temporary is a very good one.

My understanding is that the paint armour they install now isn't installed very well, so I'm not sure that a wrap installed there would be any better. However, having a primed-only car and then taking to the local wrapping shop at a discount would be good. The only problem I foresee is that it isn't likely to be a very big discount because everything but the final two coats are done. Also what about the areas that aren't wrapped? Inside of the trunk, door sills, etc. It would look kind of funny to have them primed only. Or am I missing something?

There would have to be something done with the bits that don't usually get wrapped (or dipped) like the door frames and under hood...like paint them black or something. That's also not as easy as it sounds without painting the rest of the car...

There would have to be something done with the bits that don't usually get wrapped (or dipped) like the door frames and under hood...like paint them black or something. That's also not as easy as it sounds without painting the rest of the car...

Tesla will already support custom paint -> New Factory Custom Painted Model S !, at a cost of course. George RR Martin (the Game of Thrones guy) had it done in purple. It's not too much of a stretch for Tesla to support 3rd party wrapping in some way, perhaps with a temporary sacrificial protecting film over the primer until the 3rd party wrapper gets it.

I took the factory tour when I picked my S up in November. When I read the topic on this thread it reminded me of my thoughts at the time that I would love to have a beautiful aluminum Tesla with nothing but a clear coat over the top of the brushed aluminum.

Last edited:
I took the factory tour when I picked my S up in November. When I read the topic on this thread it reminded me of my thoughts at the time that I would love to have a beautiful aluminum Tesla with nothing but a clear coat over the top of the brushed aluminum.

this is what I'd want, not an actual wrap. might be a bit 'bright' though? maybe anodized in some cool color

this is what I'd want, not an actual wrap. might be a bit 'bright' though? maybe anodized in some cool color

Anodized would be pretty awesome...if not expensive.

I originally thought bare aluminum too--perhaps more of a brushed look? Would pay homage(ish) to the Delorean...

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla will already support custom paint...

That sort of defeats the purpose, no? Might as well just go with base black (or white). I guess it's sort of academic anyway, as not paining a car could end up costing more than painting a car...

That sort of defeats the purpose, no? Might as well just go with base black (or white). I guess it's sort of academic anyway, as not paining a car could end up costing more than painting a car...

Costs aside, my purpose in pointing out that Telsa will support a custom paint job at a 3rd party paint (the George R.R. Martin precedent) is that it might be possible that Tesla would support an unpainted car for wrapping too.

Anodized would be pretty awesome...if not expensive.
I originally thought bare aluminum too--perhaps more of a brushed look? Would pay homage(ish) to the Delorean...
While certainly that car's signature feature, there's a reason it's never really been replicated save one-offs: it's an absolute nightmare. The tiniest dent or scratch is immediately apparent, and nearly impossible to repair. Trade in undamaged DeLorean sheetmetal is brisk. There's not much you can do to fix damage to the metal without it being extremely obvious, as both minor surface indentations and interruptions to the grain are very visible.

I think a brushed Model S would look pretty cool, but you'd probably need to put it in a museum and never drive it. Secondarily, there's a ton of repair that happens prior to painting that would never look right, especially on the big stampings like the rear quarter panel pieces that are repaired prior to painting rather than recycled. Painting covers a lot of blemishes in the raw aluminum.

A vehicle ready for wrapping seems plausible, though, if a tiny market. In that case you don't really care if the aluminum's been sanded down/patched. Given the push towards less customization I'm not sure how feasible it is. I guess if you dropped off enough cash they'd consider it. The problem are things like door jambs and such that aren't usually covered by wraps. What do you do with all that?