Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC near Mechanicsburg, PA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am going to be in the Mechanicsburg area for the next 6 months or so (back and forth every week) from the Philly suburbs. My first week I stayed near the AACA museum in Hershey, PA which was great for charging since they have 2 HPWCs there but no so great to still have to drive 30-40 minutes each way every day. I found a great hotel in Mechanicsburg which is 10 minutes drive to where I need to be but nothing at all nearby. I would even drive to Hershey to charge but there is absolutely nothing near the AACA museum other than a Fairfield Inn and an ice cream shop. Sitting there for 3-4 hours is not fun.

I know there are some Tesla owners on Plugshare near York but I might as well go to Hershey for that distance. Any ideas? Has anyone gotten a local business to install a charger before? Where at Tesla do I write to see if they would fund an HPWC I can ask the hotel to install? For that matter how to go about convincing the hotel?

My other hope is to find an accessible 110v outlet somewhere in the hotel parking to trickle charge over the week.

Sam.

You can charge at Hershey park too for free. When you pull up to the gate tell them you have an electric car and are going to the factory tour, they will wave you through for free. Iirc there is a 3 hour limit to the free parking for the tour, not the charging. They are blink chargers and I think you will need your chargepoint card. I don't remember exactly though.

Then at the factory tour if there is a nice person at the door they have the authority to give you a validated pass so you have unlimited time. We told him we had an electric car and would need a little more than three hours of charge and asked him if he knew if there was a way we could stay longer.

Sun Motor Cars BMW on Plugshare seems to have a J1772 avail.

Other suggestion would be to lease a corporate-long term apartment type place. Many of those will give you better rates than a hotel (even spanning the weekends) and you can probably find one with laundry facilities and (perhaps) in exchange for the longer term, make your booking it contingent on use of their dryer outlet overnight.

Same negotiation strategy might work with a regular hotel too-- guaranteed bookings for 6 months in exchange for using a dryer outlet off-hours? Win-win.