Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Kickplates Are Not Retrofittable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any picture of it ?
tesla-kickplate.png

The newer version Model S now comes with a metal kickplate that says "Model S." It is not illuminated, but it is, in my opinion, quite nice looking. Unfortunately, per Jerome, cars without the kickplate cannot be retrofitted with the kickplate. Just wanted to get the word out.

NOT True. Installed in my car yesterday.

There is a slight gap on the passenger side that is hardly noticeable where it meets the carpet but just snaps right in.

I don't understand why we get this "we can't do that" stuff from Tesla.... Im still waiting for 6.1... had to wait weeks for 6.0 on a brand new car.... doesn't make sense. But to be fair to Jerome, it isn't an EXACT fit, but such an improvement its well worth it.

There is a slight gap on the passenger side that is hardly noticeable where it meets the carpet but just snaps right in.

I don't understand why we get this "we can't do that" stuff from Tesla.... Im still waiting for 6.1... had to wait weeks for 6.0 on a brand new car.... doesn't make sense. But to be fair to Jerome, it isn't an EXACT fit, but such an improvement its well worth it.

I see communication still hasn't progressed. Such disparate info depending on who you talk to. I've never seen such bad communication from any other company in my entire life.

Wow. Very interesting. Can you share pics so we can see the fit? And, did you just get the parts from your local Tesla service center? Thanks.

I see communication still hasn't progressed. Such disparate info depending on who you talk to. I've never seen such bad communication from any other company in my entire life.
And if anything, it's getting worse, not better. Frankly, I'm surprised there's been no effort whatsoever to fix it. Truly, it's the one major issue I have with Tesla. I'm dropping my car off week after next for a full 5 days so they can do parking sensor diagnosis, but 6.1 just launched with major sensor changes. The service center had no idea it was even coming, and can't get me on the priority access list. So they're going to waste a week of a loaner and a tech's time on an issue that might already be fixed, all because the SC and Corporate don't communicate.

Kickplates seem like a strange thing to not be able to retrofit. I'm sure they're integrated into that plastic piece, so it's probably not cheap. NoMoGas, how much were they? After seeing them side-by-side, I do like the formytesla ones. Hard to tell what the fitment is like in that picture, though. Since they mount on top, it might look strange.

Last edited:
I've had that section of the car taken apart multiple times--it looks like it's the same plastic piece it mounts on... can't see where it meets with the B pillar from that picture, though. Even if there is a small gap, I'd still get it. Anyone have the part numbers (for USA)?

-m

PHOTOS OF KICKPANEL RETROFIT:

As you can see it is a perfect fit with virtually no difference. I say virtually because while not noticeable without digging for it, the final picture there is a slight gap between the carpet and the panel.

You are correct and if you suffer from perfectionist personality complex like I do, a little patience and a heat gun used from the back side of the passenger side piece you can flatten that bulge to perfection
They look very nice maybe they will make them for the rear....