Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear seat AV in Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
Any rumour (or fact) on whether there will be a rear seat AV system in the Model X and if so what it will be? It would be great to have dual headrest screens that can accept Airplay (and Chromecast or whatever Google's version of Airplay is called). I would think they would have to have something - my 2013 Lexus Rx450h has a dual screen system that can play DVDs or accept composite video input. Given that Tesla's dashboard technology is about 2 orders or magnitude ahead of Lexus I would hope to see something way better in the Model X.

It would also be nice to have more power connections and AV inputs. I was disappointed that my Model S does not have an audio input and only has two USB ports and one cig lighter outlet - all in the front (unless I am missing something). Would also have been nice to also have power outlets in the back seat, trunk and frunk.

I've followed the official info pretty closely and have not heard any mention of rear seat AV. Personally, not having it available would not be a big disappointment to me, as those systems seem dated quite rapidly. I'm all with you on power connections, AV inputs, etc. Those seem like quite inexpensive things with a lot of bang of the buck.

Headrest AV screens ?! That qualifies - yuck - get an iPad
The same thing could be said for much of the functionality of the main screen in the Model S. Media, Calendar, Nav - why bother with them in the car's UI as you are better off using an iPad or iPhone? The reason is that it is nice to have some of these functions integrated into the vehicle, especially the vehicles sound system. The Model X is more likely to be a family vehicle used to shuttle the kids around. Many of the ICE vehicles in the same segment, like the Lexus RX450h that is my other vehicle today, have the rear screen option so why shouldn't Tesla?

- - - Updated - - -

now a 4G/LTE hotspot so multiple iPads could get online would be a really nice AV setup
I agree but I wonder how would the data work - who pays for it. In the Model S today there is a 3G radio and Tesla pays for the data usage. They probably wouldn't be keen on paying for usage if you were watching Netflix all the time. So then you go to a user pay model, but Tesla is still going to be using a fair bit of data for vehicle monitoring, for firmware upgrades, etc. Maybe the answer is to have two data connections - one for Tesla and one optional that the vehicle owner pays for.

It would be nice if they go to LTE on the Model X rather than 3G as even the brand new Model S's, like mine, only have 3G when pretty much every mobile device now offers LTE.

I disagree with your analogy. The main screen controls base functions of the car. Thus having it integrated is a critical feature. Additional AV capabilities are not central to the functioning of the vehicle. Thus, having them integrated is not a critical factor IMO.

I have 2 young kids, age 4 and 2. For their future use, I'd much rather get them each iPad mini's than have an integrated AV system. Advantages of this are:
- they can each watch different things, including more educational activities besides watching shows
- they are familiar with the UI,
- they can use the same "systems" at home,
- It doesn't require me to do all the controls, esp while I'm driving,
- I don't need both cars to have AV systems since they are portable,
- one/two less thing(s) for potential thieves to see to steal as I can hide them out of view in the car,
- costs MUCH less.

I'm sure there are other factors too. I've done a lot of thinking on this as it's a very relevant decision-point for my family. But to each his/her own...

I disagree with your analogy. The main screen controls base functions of the car. Thus having it integrated is a critical feature. Additional AV capabilities are not central to the functioning of the vehicle. Thus, having them integrated is not a critical factor IMO.

I have 2 young kids, age 4 and 2. For their future use, I'd much rather get them each iPad mini's than have an integrated AV system. Advantages of this are:
- they can each watch different things, including more educational activities besides watching shows
- they are familiar with the UI,
- they can use the same "systems" at home,
- It doesn't require me to do all the controls, esp while I'm driving,
- I don't need both cars to have AV systems since they are portable,
- one/two less thing(s) for potential thieves to see to steal as I can hide them out of view in the car,
- costs MUCH less.

I'm sure there are other factors too. I've done a lot of thinking on this as it's a very relevant decision-point for my family. But to each his/her own...

This would be my thought as well. Why have a headrest system built into the car that would quickly be outdated because of ongoing improvements in codecs / formats / screen resolution when users can easily and relatively cheaply BYOD? My ask would be power - 12v power supplies easily accessible in a number of locations including front, middle, and rear rows. USB that supports 2 amp charging would be a bonus. A 120V inverter in the cargo area would be a double bonus.

I'm one of those who dislikes the idea of "just bring your tablet". For one, I think you are assuming a bit too hastily that a rear-passenger couldn't be offered or wouldn't benefit from access to (some) car controls. Having touch screen(s) in the rear would allow Tesla the same freedom to provide rear functionality as they have in the front, thanks to the updateable touchscreen, which a tablet likely wouldn't do. At least Audi already does some of the stuff mentioned below in the A8.

A well integrated rear-entertainment and control system doesn't have to be hidden because it can't be stolen (unless you steal the car or do some serious dismantling) and it always rides with the car. It will very likely also look a lot cleaner than an iPad with an attachment and it could provide the rear-seat with access to various car functions, like ability to enter destination, change radio station (to be approved by the driver) and also showing energy data, camera views, navigation progress and the like for interest. It can also integrate with the car's audio and the car's antennae as need be. It could also be used to control a potential four-zone AC for the rear as well as potential electric rear-seats and lighting and whatever they might come up with.

Also, this would be Tesla we are talking about - obviously a rear-seat entertainment system shouldn't be "quickly aging" as in any other car, but if done well and not just bought from outside to have something to sell, it should be similarly updated and multi-functional (although of course more limited in some areas) as the Tesla main screen is.

I would have no problem with offering both options, of course, a lighter tablet-prep and a full-blown rear-seat entertainment option.

I have no idea what Tesla may or may not do in this space, nor is it a deal-breaker for me either way, just offering my opinion.

4G - LTE doesn't automatically come with Tethering (Hot spot). It is a billable option under my current ATT Data plan (an additional $30 month). Therefore if Tesla has a paid for data plan for the Model X as LTE the Tether option may not be included, since that would cause unpredictable data usage. An alternative for those interested may be adding the "Tesla Tablet" as a device on one's individual data plan. Those are the logistics needed to be worked out (it should have a SIM card, but may be limited).

I would think that in time, LTE will become the standard since ATT is investing heavily in its 4G network, and not so much in 2G/3G Technology. At any rate, don't expect a Video option/streaming on the front screen. Video viewing in front seats is illegal in most states. That's why entertainment packages are limit to rear seats.

No idea if Tesla might do something like this, but pointers from other brands:

Video display on the front screen could easily be disabled while driving, but still available while stopped.

Also, Tesla could offer a new front screen, one that can display video only to the front passenger while not showing that part of the screen to the driver - those are not rare in the Germans.

Has anyone really priced out a rear entertainment option? On my prior vehicles, cost ranged from $1500-$2500. That's several iPads. Regardless, I wouldn't bother with a DVD. I haven't bought one in years.

Last edited:
I have Kids, and for a family car i don't see much use for rear seat entertainment integrated, so optionally would be ok. But not standard. If it's not in it I wouldn't miss it, like cup holders.

Aftermarket holders/bags for bottles and iPads could also do it, so why over-stuff a nice interior, while not everybody needs it?

Don't tar and feather me....

Speaking of rear-seat control, this news from the Model S side may suggest Tesla isn't looking into rear-seat entertainment/control screens, but an app approach instead:

Awesome! Looks great. Under the description in case anyone can't access the website "

Executive Rear Seats

Customize your Model S cabin with private and comfortable executive rear seats. Both leather wrapped seats include three zone heaters and are separated by a wide center console with hidden storage. Rear seat passengers can control media, climate and panoramic roof settings with the Tesla app."

Does this mean that someone will have access to the car through their phone? I'm guessing this is more of a "getting driven around in" option. Thoughts?

I think people are moving beyond the idea of fixed/integrated rear seat AV because most people in the income bracket that Tesla currently addresses have their own smartphones/tablets and use them in the car when they are a passenger. This includes children.

Tablets are cheap.

Let's not forget, though, there is an income bracket above well-off families: chauffered executives. The same reason Tesla is adding an Executive Rear Seat to the Model S. In that range it isn't about what they own, but what they may find convenient. The car and the services it provide matter. In China even smaller car classes are often chauffered, hence they have special versions of cars like Audi A4 and A6.

Now, of course, it remains to be seen where this segment is moving rear-seat systems wise, but if Tesla wants to operate in-seat massage, electric rear seating and seat memory, various AC options in the rear, access to car systems (like setting the driving destination) and whatnot, touchscreens in the rear might be useful. In the Model S example Tesla seems to be addressing this through the smartphone app. I just wonder if the executive segment finds it suitable if the car is a fleet car.

Maybe Tesla won't try to target the chauffered market that much, in that case they may not bother too much with rear-seat luxury and control features.

Just trying to expand your thinking beyond headrest DVD players, though. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Put it this way: If Tesla were to add a lot of functionality to the rear-seat, would you rather they add a lot of old-fashioned buttons... or a well-placed touch screen or two?

I agree but I wonder how would the data work - who pays for it. In the Model S today there is a 3G radio and Tesla pays for the data usage. They probably wouldn't be keen on paying for usage if you were watching Netflix all the time. So then you go to a user pay model, but Tesla is still going to be using a fair bit of data for vehicle monitoring, for firmware upgrades, etc. Maybe the answer is to have two data connections - one for Tesla and one optional that the vehicle owner pays for.

It would be nice if they go to LTE on the Model X rather than 3G as even the brand new Model S's, like mine, only have 3G when pretty much every mobile device now offers LTE.

If I was Tesla I'd have a dual SIM setup - a Tesla-provided one that works for them and provides basic connectivity for users; and a slot for a user-provided sim to add bandwidth for user apps and optionally coverage in other areas for Tesla's own telemetry and control.
Actually these days most IoT / telemetry projects I run have dual sims by default; if anything to have better coverage. Of course with soft sims this all setup is virtualized (you don't need the chunk of atoms) but conceptually the same in terms of carrier relationships and contracts.
For example of packaged products that do this, see the Cradlepoint IBR1100

- - - Updated - - -

And on-topic, i hope rear entertainment is a just option, if that. We don't have screens for kids at home, and I don't want to pay for a perfectly good space behind headrests to covered with a black rectangle.

I have a Model S with the rear facing trunk seats and kids and warm weather. When I saw the thread topic I figured "AV" was short for Air Vents. Guess my hopes and expectations are on a different level... :)

It seems one is about comfort and passing time, and the other about physical wellbeing and health... Although I've seen kids for whom I wouldn't know which "AV" would provide which benefit.