Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boston Globe ignores, now reviews Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

aronth5

Long Time Follower
Supporting Member
May 8, 2010
Boston Suburb
The Globe has never had a review of the Model S and it is well known that their automobile writers are not EV advocates.
Today's review of the Jaguar XF by Bill Griffith is typical. In their list of cars to "Also Consider" are: Audi A6, BMW 5 Series, Cadillac GTS, Hyundai Genesis, Infinity
Q60, Lexus GS, and Mercedes-Benz E-Class. The Model S of course isn't mentioned.

The Globe has never had a review of the Model S and it is well known that their automobile writers are not EV advocates.
Today's review of the Jaguar XF by Bill Griffith is typical. In their list of cars to "Also Consider" are: Audi A6, BMW 5 Series, Cadillac GTS, Hyundai Genesis, Infinity
Q60, Lexus GS, and Mercedes-Benz E-Class. The Model S of course isn't mentioned.
In some fairness, the XF 3.0 AWD is a $60k car, as are the alternatives he gives (if you selective upgrades carefully). The Model S is another step up; if he had said "Also consider Audi A7, BMW 6 series, Lexus LS, or Mercedes-Benz S Class" then it would be clearer that he was dissing Tesla.

In some fairness, the XF 3.0 AWD is a $60k car, as are the alternatives he gives (if you selective upgrades carefully). The Model S is another step up; if he had said "Also consider Audi A7, BMW 6 series, Lexus LS, or Mercedes-Benz S Class" then it would be clearer that he was dissing Tesla.

I thought about that and that is a good point but the Globe writer knows full well the Federal and Mass tax credits for $10k help offset the difference. We've had countless forum members who have elected to purchase a Model S vs. the cars listed even with the price difference. I stand by my statement that the Boston Glove automobile writers are anti EV which is based on emails I've exchanged with them. It is really incredible that Tesla gets essentially zero copy in their Sunday automotive notes section. I was hoping after one of the reviewers actually got a Model S to drive for several days in the San Francisco area that we would see a review. That was almost 6 months ago and no review yet.

I thought about that and that is a good point but the Globe writer knows full well the Federal and Mass tax credits for $10k help offset the difference. We've had countless forum members who have elected to purchase a Model S vs. the cars listed even with the price difference. I stand by my statement that the Boston Glove automobile writers are anti EV which is based on emails I've exchanged with them. It is really incredible that Tesla gets essentially zero copy in their Sunday automotive notes section. I was hoping after one of the reviewers actually got a Model S to drive for several days in the San Francisco area that we would see a review. That was almost 6 months ago and no review yet.
The automotive section is an advertising section. Tesla doesn't advertise, so it doesn't get any copy either. Auto dealers are one of the last remaining sources of ad revenue for newspapers that's why you don't see newspapers giving Tesla publicity.

The automotive section is an advertising section. Tesla doesn't advertise, so it doesn't get any copy either. Auto dealers are one of the last remaining sources of ad revenue for newspapers that's why you don't see newspapers giving Tesla publicity.

Yes, and that makes some sense why they haven't printed the review of the Model S. On the other hand they have a Sunday notes column which covers a variety of topics. For example, recently one on auto-pilot. Once again Tesla's name wasn't even mentioned when listing those car companies that were working on it. There is just a common theme of ignoring Tesla that is hard to justify.
And having a paid automobile section doesn't prevent them from writing a newsworthy article in the business section besides the standard AP articles when they publish their quarterly financial statement.

Last edited:
Newspapers? They still have those? Sadly the Globe is a lot thinner than it used to be and I stopped subscribing years ago. Dinosaur media talking about dinosaur cars - not surprising and won't adversely affect tesla one bit

And having a paid automobile section doesn't prevent them from writing a newsworthy article in the business section besides the standard AP articles when they publish their quarterly financial statement.
I think you missed my point. That's EXACTLY what prevents them from writing what you would consider a "newsworthy" article about Tesla. It's a function of don't bite the hand that feeds you.

I think you missed my point. That's EXACTLY what prevents them from writing what you would consider a "newsworthy" article about Tesla. It's a function of don't bite the hand that feeds you.

I agree with you but only for the paid automobile section not the rest of the paper. I've had a number of emails with Globe staff and the anti Tesla sentiment is real.
I still am hoping a Model S review will appear unless the reviewer who had the Model S for several days in San Francisco and promised a review would appear has been over ridden by management.
Of course by now who really cares about a review unless its either the P85D or the Model X.

I agree with you but only for the paid automobile section not the rest of the paper. I've had a number of emails with Globe staff and the anti Tesla sentiment is real.
I'm sorry, but if you agree with me "but only for the paid automobile section not the rest of the paper", then you still don't get it. Auto dealers are the largest newspaper advertisers by far, which means the largest source of revenue. Newspapers are therefore the biggest supporters of the auto dealer cartel outside of the dealers themselves and the politicians who receive their campaign contributions. Any positive attention given to Tesla will incur the wrath of the auto dealers. Dealers don't even have to threaten to cut back on advertising to keep the papers in line, the papers self-censor to stay on the good side of the dealers.

Remember the quote from Upton Sinclair, "It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his livelihood depends upon his not understanding it."

I'm sorry, but if you agree with me "but only for the paid automobile section not the rest of the paper", then you still don't get it. Auto dealers are the largest newspaper advertisers by far, which means the largest source of revenue. Newspapers are therefore the biggest supporters of the auto dealer cartel outside of the dealers themselves and the politicians who receive their campaign contributions. Any positive attention given to Tesla will incur the wrath of the auto dealers. Dealers don't even have to threaten to cut back on advertising to keep the papers in line, the papers self-censor to stay on the good side of the dealers.
Remember the quote from Upton Sinclair, "It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his livelihood depends upon his not understanding it."

Surprise. Today's Boston Globe actually had a review of the P85D! As far as I know this is a first for the Globe. The author, Mike Hanley is not the individual who was given a Model S by Tesla last year and sent me an email confirming his review would eventually appear in the Globe. Never happened. I thought it interesting that the review appeared on the automotive "Advertising Supplement" which appeared in the middle of the sports section. I wonder what the paying auto dealers are thinking?

Globe Review.PNG