Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adaptive Cruise Control (experience post FW v6.1)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wk057

Former Tesla Tinkerer
Feb 23, 2014
X
Mod note: This thread started with a carve-out from Firmware-6-1
---------------------------------

I'll note that there are very lengthy descriptions on TACC and such in the in-car manual now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe they just really liked all the nice things you said about them yesterday, miss you, and want to see you again! :)

Ah yeah, I have no issues with Tesla service. They're always great. :)

I was just hoping it was something they could reset remotely or something.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll note that when the TACC was working... it was pretty awesome. Better than any ACC I've ever used in other vehicles (only used a couple of others).

I was curious as to how it would handle coming to a stop on the closest setting, and the car in front of me came to a stop, I was ready with the brake pedal, and it took the pedal from me and slowed perfectly. :) So, it doesn't just use regen, it will actually use the friction brakes when needed. Worked when a car in front of me slowed to make a turn also, then when the car was out of the way it just sped back up to the set speed.

The fact that it can stay engaged after full stops and such is pretty neat. Just takes a tap of the pedal or lever to continue.

I look forward to using this more...

Drove Northbound 405 in moderate traffic from El Segundo to Santa Monica this morning. Wow - the TACC is really amazing! I didn't touch the pedals at all for a good 5 miles. Even came to a full stop, and then accelerated when the car in front of me did - without any pedal press.

I tested out the adaptive cruise control on my way to the office today ... Worked fantastic. Came to a stop with traffic, continued on when traffic started moving ... handled people changing lanes in front of me, etc ...

The distance setting of "1" is certainly more distance than average people would leave in Miami traffic, though... I can't imagine where you would use a setting of 7!

I tested out the adaptive cruise control on my way to the office today ... Worked fantastic. Came to a stop with traffic, continued on when traffic started moving ... handled people changing lanes in front of me, etc ...

The distance setting of "1" is certainly more distance than average people would leave in Miami traffic, though... I can't imagine where you would use a setting of 7!

Actually, I could see people feeling safer with a larger distance. The complete stop from ~50 MPH on the 1 setting was more abrupt than I would personally make.

I use number one setting. Same as mb distronic. It Brakes better for cars at full stop in front of you than my 2011 mb. Cutting in Lane the tesla will warn you of impending collision but continue to stop in time. The mb would warn you. Activate brake assist for max braking but turn off distronic plus so you brake manually. This is better. Not full Collison prevention assist but close.

Also mb would not stop for a car at a red light stopped in front of you. This tacc tracks the car farther out to slow/stop in time.

The blue tracking on vs grey no tracking is very useful. The mb I would be guessing if it's locked on. This let's me know.

Lastly. On turns this tacc slows based on g force. I don't think my Mb did as well. So I can set to 70. Take an on ramp circle and it will limit to 50 mph etc till the straight road is reached .

I got so used to mb distronic plus. I used it 90% of driving in 30k miles. Once you trust and understand the car, it can do so much for you.

I also saw a cool collision warning graphic when the car two lanes over & I both moved to the same lane. The dash showed my car with a red bang/explosion on the front left corner.

- - - Updated - - -

Thats for the overtake acceleration. In the manual it says TACC will operate at 18 MPH or higher.

Oh, you're right. My car wouldn't go into TACC when under 35mph (I haven't tested other speeds)

I always use the cruise control in low speed areas like 25 MPH zones just to make sure I stick to the speed limit. If I can't do that now because of TACC, that's a problem. :(

Isn't there a driver assist option you can set so car will stay within X mph of posted limit (as detected by mobileye)? My P85 doesn't have any of this driver assist stuff (of which I'm glad), but I had loaner for 2 days this week and I could swear I saw that.

I always use the cruise control in low speed areas like 25 MPH zones just to make sure I stick to the speed limit. If I can't do that now because of TACC, that's a problem. :(

I do the same thing, we have a number of 25mph streets that constantly have motorcycle radar cops. I always set to 29mph on those streets.

Ok. Turned off main power to car. Powered on. Cruise still did not work.

Walked away and Left car for few min. Cruise works again :)

Confirmed Tacc can activate at 17 mph and over.

When stopped without any memory speed in Tacc. Pulling leaver to go forward activates Tacc to default of 17 mph.

Dunno yet why it stopped working for one segment of today's drive.

Ok. Turned off main power to car. Powered on. Cruise still did not work.

Walked away and Left car for few min. Cruise works again :)

Confirmed Tacc can activate at 17 mph and over.

When stopped without any memory speed in Tacc. Pulling leaver to go forward activates Tacc to default of 17 mph.

Dunno yet why it stopped working for one segment of today's drive.

Yeah, I went for another drive and the TACC worked perfectly. Set it at 55, it followed and came to stops like it should behind other cars. One time it was coming up pretty quick on a car and the collision avoidance alert came up, but it slowed down in plenty of time.

Interesting that both of ours stopped working after a brief stop, then started working again after another stop.

- - - Updated - - -

I will note an interesting point though. There is a light at the top of a hill nearby. You go up the hill then down a hair to the light. There was a car stopped at the light, and the TACC didn't "see" it and react until I was about level at the top of the hill, several seconds after I noticed it. I knew I could change lanes and avoid a problem, but I was curious how the TACC would handle it, and it seems like it would have failed without intervention.

I will note an interesting point though. There is a light at the top of a hill nearby. You go up the hill then down a hair to the light. There was a car stopped at the light, and the TACC didn't "see" it and react until I was about level at the top of the hill, several seconds after I noticed it. I knew I could change lanes and avoid a problem, but I was curious how the TACC would handle it, and it seems like it would have failed without intervention.

That's something to report to Tesla. Of course, there's often a statement in car user manuals that you shouldn't use cruise control in hills ...

My update came in overnight and it was like a experiencing a whole new car this morning. The TACC works amazingly well. I turned on cruise, set my speed and away I went. I tried various settings for the following distance setting and that worked very well too. I could maybe do with a little less aggressive stopping but other than that I am quite pleased. The backup camera lines for parking are also a very welcome addition.

I think that the cruise control on my late 2013 S will work at 25mph. Not in it right now so can't check. Am I imagining that? Or confusing the S with how my Roadster cruise control works?

A lot of funny stuff playing with the tacc:

1st incident: I came up to a slight curve with nobody in front of me, except a parked car. I was going 29mph, the car pretty much slammed on the brakes (thinking the parked car was in my lane). (didn't expect it)
This is no big deal, unless, someone is following you! Luckily, no one was.

2nd incident: Cruising at 45mph, nobody in front (or behind), came to a very slight (2'-3' curve) for a traffic median (with bushes), car slammed on brakes! (didn't expect it)

3rd incident: Came to a stoplight behind a car (we're both turning right), he turns on red light, my car tries to speed thru the intersection/corner. (I was expecting this of course)

A lot of funny stuff playing with the tacc:

1st incident: I came up to a slight curve with nobody in front of me, except a parked car. I was going 29mph, the car pretty much slammed on the brakes (thinking the parked car was in my lane). (didn't expect it)
This is no big deal, unless, someone is following you! Luckily, no one was.

2nd incident: Cruising at 45mph, nobody in front (or behind), came to a very slight (2'-3' curve) for a traffic median (with bushes), car slammed on brakes! (didn't expect it)

3rd incident: Came to a stoplight behind a car (we're both turning right), he turns on red light, my car tries to speed thru the intersection/corner. (I was expecting this of course)

Yeah, it seems to have issues distinguishing even slightly curved roads. I noticed this with the lane departure warning before this update also. It wouldn't alert when leaving the lane in some curves.

The manual does say that TACC is less effective on curvy roads, though....

- - - Updated - - -

I think that the cruise control on my late 2013 S will work at 25mph. Not in it right now so can't check. Am I imagining that? Or confusing the S with how my Roadster cruise control works?

Yeah, I always used the cruise at 25 in my P85 and now the P85D without issue, until now.

Last edited: