Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS goes Rogue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Vitaman

Supporting Member
Aug 9, 2014
Decatur, GA
So I leave work yesterday evening for my 2 mile commute home in my 17 day old D.
Half way home a low tire pressure warning pops up. I had never seen it before and because I had not done anything out of the ordinary (no rough roads , construction sites, etc.) it almost did not compute.
The warning persisted and may have even escalated in its insistence for me to pull over.
I slowed way down and limped home the last half mile.
A tire appeared flat, so I filled it with a portable inflator. Took about 25 min to go from 3 psi to 38 (Inflator battery died at that point)
The Service Center is also 2 miles away but they were closed and my phone call was forwarded to Freemont. They offered to flatbed me to the Tesla store or a tire shop.
I told them to notify the Store I would be coming 1st thing in the morning as long as the pressure held overnight. The Phone service with Tesla was just outstanding. They did tell me that Tesla would not patch or plug a tire....only replace it. I was not looking forward to replacing a brand new rear tire, but I am sure it would not be a first for this sort of thing.
Since I could not drive the car I figured it would be a good time for the 2 hour 6.1 Update. That seemed to go smoothly.
Woke up to the same 38 psi that was there the night before. Bumped it up to 40 just to be sure. Drove slowly to the Service Center. Half way there the Tire warning flashed up again! This time I could feel the same Right Rear tire getting low. Again I limped into Tesla at 15 mph.
Turns out the Sensors were not installed correctly and were letting air out. They fixed it and all is good.
As a bonus I discovered that 6.1 tells you specifically which tire is low. Not ground breaking technology, but nice that they upgraded it.
Another discovery I made in trying to call the local Service Center is that Tesla purposely de-optimizes google search for new stores (This Service Center has been open for about 2 months). They want time to iron out kinks before making it easy for people to find the name and address online.

As a bonus I discovered that 6.1 tells you specifically which tire is low. Not ground breaking technology, but nice that they upgraded it.

Now that's interesting. Can anyone confirm this is not specific to D's and new equipment? (No, I haven't gotten 6.1 yet - my Service Center updated me to only 2.0.81 as part of my annual service a couple of days ago.)

Now that's interesting. Can anyone confirm this is not specific to D's and new equipment? (No, I haven't gotten 6.1 yet - my Service Center updated me to only 2.0.81 as part of my annual service a couple of days ago.)

I can't do that, but I can tell you that the Ds are using a new TPMS. I don't know if the new TPMS is now also standard on other Model S vehicles being built now or not, but there was discussion of the new TPMS in these forums at some point.

I can't do that, but I can tell you that the Ds are using a new TPMS. I don't know if the new TPMS is now also standard on other Model S vehicles being built now or not, but there was discussion of the new TPMS in these forums at some point.

Yes, they're now Continental TPMSs. Not specific to Ds--they changed right around when autopilot hardware started coming out (mid-September). My P85 has them.

Another discovery I made in trying to call the local Service Center is that Tesla purposely de-optimizes google search for new stores (This Service Center has been open for about 2 months). They want time to iron out kinks before making it easy for people to find the name and address online.

I find this statement interesting. Who told you this? This is implying that Tesla is working with Google to modify their algorithms to not return valid results. I can't see Google actually agreeing to this. I frequently use google to search for permits and other criteria to find Superchargers and stores before they are announced. What your saying is that Tesla is trying to prevent me from doing that and I really just can't see Google signing off on this because that seems to go against the correctness of their algorithms. Google would never "throw someone off" intentionally like that.