Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest Supercharger dots for 2015 and 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The long rumored Jacksonville FL dot now appears. And it's good because this will finally make it possible to drive across the panhandle at a normal/high rate of speed, allowing the entire state as accessible.

I hope they don't really take 2 years for it though.

As someone just about ready to hit the order button, these new maps are HUGELY exciting and much more effective marketing than the previous approach. My objections are dwindling........

As someone who purchased before there were any Superchargers within 1500 miles, I recommend not waiting. My first long trip had 14 hours of charge time and 13 hours of drive time (using RV parks). The second trip, I learned a bit from the first one and stayed in a cabin overnight so the effective charge time was down to nine hours. On the third trip a nice Tesla owner had an HPWC on Plugshare so the charge time was down to five hours. On the fourth trip A Supercharger opened up and the charge time was six hours, but no overnight stay. My next trip (assuming there will be a Supercharger to replace the HWPC) will have 3.5 total hours of charging but if all the Superchargers were in there would be four stops of 20-30 minutes each for a total of 1.5 to 2 hours total charge time. That would be the same time it would have taken in an ICE car.

I'm really glad I didn't miss the previous 22 months of Tesla driving. At home, I've never had to charge anywhere other than at my house.

Yeah!!! Finally SF is getting the love we deserve! There is a complete dearth of SC option aside from Gilroy and Fremont. Absolutely nothing on the Peninsula or up through Marin, Sonoma and Napa.

Its hard to see exactly, but it seems to show a SC in Monterey for 2015 and a SC in Santa Cruz for 2016. Where would a good location in Santa Cruz? Its hard for me to come up with a location that would not have ICE problems.

Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area has a first ever dot:)
It has been rumored, but never on any of the maps.

This is much needed for those traveling to, or from Grand Rapids, Duluth, or cabin territory from south of the Twin Cities.

Its really hard to read the Cali's whine about lack of SC in California when the state has 20. Look at the Carolina's and consider your lucky. We can't drive from Charlotte to Atlanta in the same day. Thats a huge issue for us little people!
No worries 2015 should be your golden year. You have no idea what it feels like to drive to a SC and see more car waiting than charging!!

Glad to see the new chargers down to the Texas coast. Sorry to see that they delays the planned superchargers across the west of Texas by a year.

Ditto.
It will be great to be able to travel to South Padre sometime in 2015, so kudos for that.

However, the I-10 corridor thru West Texas/Southeast New Mexico (Hobbs,Carlsbad and Roswell) might be delayed more than a year, as there still appears to be a gap East of El Paso on the 2016 map.

El Paso/Pecos can make it in a pinch (208 miles) in an 85, but it is mountainous.
El Paso/Ft. Stockton does not stand a chance (236 miles).
There probably should be a SpC near Van Horn for I-10 to be fully viable.

Again, looking at the 2016 proposed Map, there seems to be hole concerning either Lubbock or Wichita Falls.
Lubbock to Wichita Falls is 209 miles -- doable in an 85 only.
You can get there, but you will not be able to Supercharge once you get there.

for 2016, I-20 and I-40 look like parallel and skewed lines, and you cannot get from one to the other, Amarillo to Midland is 240 miles.

I did look at those - they're good, but not good enough (For me.) I'm trying to get closer to see what the plans are. In the PA and NY area, where we frequently drive, there are several very close together, so it's hard to get any real detail. I know these are obviously PLANNED and not firm, but would still be nice to see if these are going to be on (roughly) our routes or not.

Thanks for digging them up though and putting them here. Very helpful!

Ditto.
It will be great to be able to travel to South Padre sometime in 2015, so kudos for that.

However, the I-10 corridor thru West Texas/Southeast New Mexico (Hobbs,Carlsbad and Roswell) might be delayed more than a year, as there still appears to be a gap East of El Paso on the 2016 map.

El Paso/Pecos can make it in a pinch (208 miles) in an 85, but it is mountainous.
El Paso/Ft. Stockton does not stand a chance (236 miles).
There probably should be a SpC near Van Horn for I-10 to be fully viable.

Again, looking at the 2016 proposed Map, there seems to be hole concerning either Lubbock or Wichita Falls.
Lubbock to Wichita Falls is 209 miles -- doable in an 85 only.
You can get there, but you will not be able to Supercharge once you get there.

for 2016, I-20 and I-40 look like parallel and skewed lines, and you cannot get from one to the other, Amarillo to Midland is 240 miles.
And don't forget the eastern half of the I-10 route, which at first glance may look complete but even in 2016 has a 210 mile gap between Columbus, TX and Lake Charles, LA before getting to appropriately spaced superchargers all the way to Florida. What "precise energy modeling" could they have used that shows there isn't a need for a supercharger east of Houston?

And don't forget the eastern half of the I-10 route, which at first glance may look complete but even in 2016 has a 210 mile gap between Columbus, TX and Lake Charles, LA before getting to appropriately spaced superchargers all the way to Florida. What "precise energy modeling" could they have used that shows there isn't a need for a supercharger east of Houston?

Not to get all big brother, but I HAVE to imagine that Tesla is tracking cars to see what's driving where. Purely a guess (And not sure if it's been debated before.) If that's the case, they know exactly what cars are driving through that area and whether it's worth it or not (By whatever standards they have in their heads.)

I did look at those - they're good, but not good enough (For me.) I'm trying to get closer to see what the plans are. In the PA and NY area, where we frequently drive, there are several very close together, so it's hard to get any real detail. I know these are obviously PLANNED and not firm, but would still be nice to see if these are going to be on (roughly) our routes or not.

Thanks for digging them up though and putting them here. Very helpful!

You can do a little better (but not perfect) by overlaying a 50% opacity crop of one of the Tesla images on top of a larger Google Maps screen capture with PhotoShop or similar program and fiddling some.

See I-40 — Marching Towards OKC for an example that I did to get a better idea of locations on I-40 across NM, TX, and OK.

Good luck!