Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Energy Savings Mode: Power usage with or without "always connected" option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure it can be pinned down to one number. I think it depends on a few factors. I tracked the vampire loss over months and it is changing a lot. I decided that the inconvenience of waiting for it to connect when using the app on my phone isn't worth saving 1/6 of a mile in range or whatever difference it makes, so I keep it on 'always connected'. I do follow Tesla's recommendation to plug the car in all the time. I'm not charging it all the time, I only charge at night, but it's always plugged in.

I'm not sure it can be pinned down to one number. I think it depends on a few factors. I tracked the vampire loss over months and it is changing a lot. I decided that the inconvenience of waiting for it to connect when using the app on my phone isn't worth saving 1/6 of a mile in range or whatever difference it makes, so I keep it on 'always connected'. I do follow Tesla's recommendation to plug the car in all the time. I'm not charging it all the time, I only charge at night, but it's always plugged in.

Yeah, in the same boat. Had it "off" for a long time thinking it would save energy. But now it's winter and annoying having to wait to connect in order to pre-heat the car so I turned it on. Seems to have lost maybe 1 more mile overnight than usual, but as you pointed out, it varies so much already depending on many factors (when you plugged in, how many miles it had to charge, whether it was downloading updates, etc.,).

Trying to understand what to do and expect in a few weeks when I will need to leave my P85D parked in an outside ramp at the airport for one week with no ability to plug in. Temps here in Michigan typically in the 20's but can drop into the single digits, especially at night. What are the best settings to select (hoping I can leave the "always connected" on so I can preheat the cabin when I land on the return trip), and how much battery loss will occur typically per day?

Trying to understand what to do and expect in a few weeks when I will need to leave my P85D parked in an outside ramp at the airport for one week with no ability to plug in. Temps here in Michigan typically in the 20's but can drop into the single digits, especially at night. What are the best settings to select (hoping I can leave the "always connected" on so I can preheat the cabin when I land on the return trip), and how much battery loss will occur typically per day?

The first thing I would do is see if there isn't some shuttle parking where you can leave it plugged into a 110V.

Other than that, I don't really know that we have a valid number for the P85D under those conditions. The early cars on early software lost ten to fifteen miles per day at more-or-less room temperature. The software has had a lot of improvements, but you're talking very cold weather so I would allow for a similar drain--but I really don't know. You will be able to check the remaining range from the App while you're away, so keep everyone posted on what you experience.

As a data point, I left it parked at the PHX airport unplugged with the "Always Connected" and Sleep options enabled. I parked it with 151 RM in my S60. Exactly 2 weeks later, I came back to it with 92 RM. The average ambient temps were probably about 55-60 degrees the first week and about 50 degrees the second week. I checked the RM every couple days or so while away. I noticed much more drop in RM the second week with the colder temps. It was about 125 RM after 1 week. So, about 26 RM drop the first week and then 33 RM the second.

There's no reason you shouldn't put the car in the energy savings (sleep) mode. When you come back, it'll take the app perhaps 15-20 seconds longer to connect, but you'll still be able to preheat the car.

There's no reason you shouldn't put the car in the energy savings (sleep) mode. When you come back, it'll take the app perhaps 15-20 seconds longer to connect, but you'll still be able to preheat the car.

So everyone is able to wake up the car with app? I'm not and I have retried quite many times. Based on this thread wake up stopped working in sw release 5.1 and I thought it does not work any more.

EDIT: To clarify I have always connected off.

Last edited:
So everyone is able to wake up the car with app? I'm not and I have retried quite many times. Based on this thread wake up stopped working in sw release 5.1 and I thought it does not work any more.

EDIT: To clarify I have always connected off.

The only time it doesn't wake up for me is when there is significant cloud cover. (Energy savings on, always connected off). I agree that it appears to have worked better in 5.x than it does in 6.x. The most stable release has been 4.2.