Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how much would you be willing to pay for a nationwide charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I GM or bmw or charge point decided to roll out a network of chargers around the US or and other country where you live how much would you be willing to pay.(please share your ideas)

$2000 include when you brought the car for unlimited us.
or because car markers what us to keep buying cars
$500 for 5 years
$300 for 3 years(included in lease)
$10 extra per month on top of on star(if GM rolled it out)

or should there be a kw limit maybe based on car battery.
50 or 100 kw per year or over a certain amount for like $100 or $500 for 5 years.

what about roaming to other networks like included 20kw per year on blink or other charge point networks.

i don't live in the US but if they rolled out charging stations at starbucks, wall mart, costco, mcdonalds, outside car dealerships so you don't have to drive in them and some major highway even if it didn't cover most of your travel if you had blink networks as well and had 50kw included would that be enough for you to pay and sign up.

also as we see more plug in hybrids come to market maybe all cars should only have access to stations 70% of your battery away from home so you don't crowed local stations.

i hope another car marker does roll out a charging network, please share your ideas

The only complaint about the current method is that all the Superchargers shown on the coming soon, 2015, and 2016 maps aren't operational today :)

In most cases if you have a Model S, the only time you need to charge away from home is on trips.

Given how rapidly Tesla is expanding their charging network in North America, Western Europe, China, Japan, and Australia, I see no reason for Model S owners to be interested in other commercial charging networks.

There is however great reason for other car manufacturers to be concerned...

Let's play along with the OP's hypothetical: let's pretend that we're back in 2010 doing market research for Tesla about the best way to charge for the SC network.

One option is the upfront payment for unlimited, transferable life-of-vehicle use, which we'll set at $2000, consistent with Tesla's current practice.
Other options are:
Paying forward 5 years
Paying forward 3 years
Paying year-to-year
Paying month-to-month

If we're serious about this hypothetical, though, we have to set the charges up in a way that doesn't make one choice dominate. Assuming a 15-year life of vehicle and 7.5% nominal discount rate, then the following have about the same NPV assuming that the future owners always renew, and have the right to renew at the stated rate:

Upfront $2,000
Pre-paid 5 years: $920
Pre-paid 3 years: $590
Pre-paid 1 year: $205
Monthly: $17.50

But Tesla would be taking a risk with any of these periodic-payment plans that future owners wouldn't opt in, or that opting out today lets you opt in in the future. (Note that Tesla doesn't discount the $2000 activation charge even if you've already been driving your S60 for 50,000 miles.) So, I'd expect fairly significant premiums. I also wouldn't offer the monthly option at all (assuming people could opt in and out at will), because penny-pinchers would activate Supercharging only when they knew they were going to use the service. So let's use these for discussion:

Lifetime: $2000 (NPV $2000)
5-year: $1250 (NPV $2727)
3-year: $1000 (NPV $3394)
1-year: $400 (NPV $3931)

A lot of new car buyers might opt for 3- or 5-year plans, because that's how long many premium-car owners plan to own their cars, and Supercharger access is of unknown value at resale. The annual access would only make sense for someone who didn't see himself as needing Supercharging often but decides to take some unusual trip.

This video does a good job explaining why we're not likely to see charging stations popping up like gas stations anytime soon. The ONLY way for it to really work is for all the vested players to contribute... or do like Tesla does and just build it yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
This video does a good job explaining why we're not likely to see charging stations popping up like gas stations anytime soon. The ONLY way for it to really work is for all the vested players to contribute... or do like Tesla does and just build it yourself.

Excellent video with very good points. I agree with ChargePoint on most of these issues.

Even the Tesla model depends on finding the space* by offering the carrot of bringing good customers to the location.

*Space, the final frontier!

I've been playing a similar thought experiment with myself recently, and this is a perfect thread to discuss it.

LB1QKUNC5RXLTP6.jpg

Imagine if you will, a horrible, depressing future world where Tesla Motors goes out of business. Files for chapter 7 bankruptcy and needs to liquidate all assets. (I know, but just go with it for now). It has to sell off all its assets, including the Supercharger network. Also, assume that there's no one company that is going to buy the entire SC network, but rather, it auctions off each station or groups of stations to smaller businesses, interests, or individuals.

And included in that sell off is the technology (or the plans for the technology) to allow individual charging fees at each location (like Chargepoint/Blink does now).

As mentioned in the video above, the CP chargers are individually owned, but on the same network, and that would obviously need to apply here as well.

But the owners of each individual SC location (or region) might need to charge different rates due to rent, power, maintenance costs.

What kind of payment plans would existing Tesla owners tolerate for Supercharging? How much would you pay per month or per year in order to make sure the SC network stays viable. Because if not enough people pay, it would make the long distance travel we now enjoy with DC charging much harder. Or everyone would need to buy Chamedo adapters, but even those don't charge as fast as a Tesla Supercharger.

Frightening thought.
It would be a real issue. Currently each SC is centrally monitored and controlled.
I would bet that someone may buy them and change them into a pay charger.

I am sure many Tesla owners would still keep the cars and charge elsewhere or pay per use SC.

There is little money in supplying chargers and selling electricity. As the Chargepoint COE said, chargers are a way to draw customers to their business. You aren't going to make any money selling electricity.
Even though EVs currently have limited range, that range is enough to cover 80% of our driving without having to charge. Charging happens at home and at work. The better EVs get in range the less the need to charge. The Model S is the best example. For the most part I don't even bother charging anywhere. I only use a charger when it's placed in a priority parking spot. I almost never need to charge. So the need for public chargers is small and it's never going to become large.

The only thing that EVs will not achieve in the near future is long distance. That's why Tesla is building Superchargers. The fact that it's free makes it very hard for any competitor to build a network that is cost based. It's very difficult to sell something when there is a free alternative. So it's not about coming up with a good pricing model to be successful. Hotels and restaurants and resorts, theme parks, all kinds of businesses that gain customers from offering charging will install them. Just like WiFi today.