Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks as if I-80 across Nebraska has been moved back to 2016 according to the latest Tesla Supercharger map. Other than one in Omaha, it's pretty difficult to get across the state. it sure would be nice to see one in Grand Island and perhaps Ogallala.

That's too bad, they are building like crazy on I80 across Nevada.
Fortunately for me, living in Omaha, and maybe this is what Tesla is thinking, you can get to I90 and I70 from the middle of Nebraska and then go to many places.
And "Yea!" they updated that map!

If you've got a good charge in Omaha, you can get down to Topeka and get on the I-70 route. The problem is, the further West you go, the more difficult it is to get South to I-70. I ended up charging at a Chevy dealership in Holdrege, NE, in December (they used to sell the Volt), after leaving Lincoln with a full charge. Charging at 9mph was better than 4mph from a 110v outlet, and I needed every bit of it, to get down to I-70. The Superchargers are fantastic once you connect to them. It made the trip from Okoboji, IA to Napa, CA very, very nice.

If you've got a good charge in Omaha, you can get down to Topeka and get on the I-70 route. The problem is, the further West you go, the more difficult it is to get South to I-70. I ended up charging at a Chevy dealership in Holdrege, NE, in December (they used to sell the Volt), after leaving Lincoln with a full charge. Charging at 9mph was better than 4mph from a 110v outlet, and I needed every bit of it, to get down to I-70. The Superchargers are fantastic once you connect to them. It made the trip from Okoboji, IA to Napa, CA very, very nice.

If you leave Lincoln with a full charge, it's easy to get to Salina without going through Topeka. That's what I do. Hays and Salina are virtually the same latitude, so you're not losing any distance and you gain a lot of time by not slow charging in Holdrege.

I really want I80 completed.
But I will take I70 and I90 completed first because I can get to them.
My belief is this is Tesla's thinking as well.
Imagine what the nation will be like three years from now when there are more SupCs than we can see on the new Tesla proposed map rather than those that aren't there yet...

Yeah, what right-thinking driver would expect to find a 45* angle road to the southwest. Anywhere on the Great Plains
LOL.

When land was doled out, it was given to the farmers in square or rectangular blocks--no farmer wants a triangular field as there is a lot more fencing to build per hectare. So making a diagonal road would be very expensive in terms of land acquisition unless there was a convenient river to build along. However, the rivers run from NW to SE or N to S, so building roads from NE to SW isn't practical.

Jerry - We were visiting family in Holdrege, NE ... thus, the reason to go West, first. Glad to see Nevada get completed yesterday with Winnemucca coming on-line. Now, we just need Wyoming and Nebraska and it will make my Iowa to California trips a LOT shorter/faster/easier.

Now, we just need Wyoming and Nebraska and it will make my Iowa to California trips a LOT shorter/faster/easier.
Right. It will be just short of 3000 miles to Washington state via Superchargers. If Wyoming were online it would save ~300 miles, and another couple of hundred if Nebraska was also online basically saving a whole day of driving each way. When I used EVtripplanner it routed me through Florida and New York. Of course, if I used the direct setting it was far shorter but didn't use any SCs (or maybe only one or two). There really needs to be a "mostly SC" setting.

Derowland, I have the same problem getting to and from Holdrege. I can get there from Lincoln, NE--but getting home I'm screwed. Maybe I can talk my father in law into putting 240 in the garage. Visiting family also. I could use a GI SC!

Derowland, I have the same problem getting to and from Holdrege. I can get there from Lincoln, NE--but getting home I'm screwed. Maybe I can talk my father in law into putting 240 in the garage. Visiting family also. I could use a GI SC!
W0QR,
Have you used PlugShare.com? There is a J1772 in Holdrege that would work as well as family putting in a NEMA 14-50. I have used J1772s and all for free so far. They have helped me out and might make your trip work.

MSEV - I actually put that J1772 into PLUGSHARE after I found it by calling around in Holdrege. The J1772 doesn't work anywhere close to a NEMA 14-50. It's at a Chevrolet dealership that used to sell Volts. They no longer do so. It only provides 9mph of charge. They are really nice people, and have even loaned me a car overnight. But, you have to do the math to make sure you'll have enough charge when leaving Holdrege to get someplace. I've written to the manager of the Super 8, a dozen times, telling her about the Tesla HPWC program. But, she isn't interested. We go to Holdrege 2-3 times each year now. Tough trip without a Supercharger somewhere around Grand Island.

W0QR,
Have you used PlugShare.com? There is a J1772 in Holdrege that would work as well as family putting in a NEMA 14-50. I have used J1772s and all for free so far. They have helped me out and might make your trip work.

MSEV - I actually put that J1772 into PLUGSHARE after I found it by calling around in Holdrege. The J1772 doesn't work anywhere close to a NEMA 14-50. It's at a Chevrolet dealership that used to sell Volts. They no longer do so. It only provides 9mph of charge. They are really nice people, and have even loaned me a car overnight. But, you have to do the math to make sure you'll have enough charge when leaving Holdrege to get someplace. I've written to the manager of the Super 8, a dozen times, telling her about the Tesla HPWC program. But, she isn't interested. We go to Holdrege 2-3 times each year now. Tough trip without a Supercharger somewhere around Grand Island.

So sorry to hear that. Good to know if you want to travel there. How fast any slow charger is can make quite a bit of difference.