Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

!!!warning v6.1 and 3 phase charging!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys, just a heads up.

I was probably the first to get v6.1 in the UK, and spotted a problem with charging at my office 22kW charger. It's a brand new unit, so I put it down to an incompatibility.

However, today I tried an Ecotricity point and it's definitely a problem with v6.1 :crying:

In summary, maximum charge capped at c.17 miles, and a warning in the drivers dash. 22 mins of charging gave me 7 miles. This is obviously slower than even a 7kW charger :(

I'll be on the phone to Tesla shortly, but thought it worth posting here, in case anyone is planning on using an Ecotricity point before Tesla can roll out a fix.

The good news is that all UK cars are fitted with dual chargers. If you pay Tesla some money they will enable them remotely for you. :)

It's only sort of good news, you still have to pay £1000+ to simply change an item in the menu ;) I actually had working dual chargers for the first few weeks of my ownership.

If I really could be bothered I wonder where Tesla actually stand with rights to retrospectively disable them come to think of it. If you drove out of any other car dealership, and spotted they'd accidentally installed something extra a few days in to your ownership, you wouldn't expect it to be taken out when the car went in for it's next service! It's not my fault Tesla put in dual chargers, and forgot to disable them!

I took delivery on good faith, both parties where happy when I signed for the car as it stood, and Tesla did the virtual equivalent of sneaking round my house and taking it back whilst I was asleep ;) So I could just kick up a fuss, and pay nothing.

Saying all that I'm really not fussed, I only bought the car my daily commute, and maybe the odd 100 mile away trip. (I'm still <5k miles since I got it in July)

The only reason I spotted it was I put in a 22kW at work in an attempt to future-proof things.

Thanks for confirming... It might only be single charger enabled cars then.
It is relevant how full you were when you plugged in at work. With only a single charger, you should be able to get about 11KW which is roughly 30 mph of charge. If, however, the car was nearly full when you started to charge, remember that to protect the battery the rate is dialled way down by the car.

it is also possible that your master charger is malfunctioning on one of its 3 phases and you don't notice it at home because it is happily charging on a different phase as you only have a single phase supply there.

It is relevant how full you were when you plugged in at work. With only a single charger, you should be able to get about 11KW which is roughly 30 mph of charge. If, however, the car was nearly full when you started to charge, remember that to protect the battery the rate is dialled way down by the car.

it is also possible that your master charger is malfunctioning on one of its 3 phases and you don't notice it at home because it is happily charging on a different phase as you only have a single phase supply there.

Yep I did think about the battery SOC, and both my office and Ecotricity tests, were done with 70 miles typical range remaining. (So about 40% in my 60kWh). Last time I used a 3 phase Ecotricity was 10th November, I probably had 90 miles range, and got full (for an 11kW car) 30+ miles per hour charge rate.

When my Office EVSE unit was first installed (last Saturday) it was having some teething problems with it's network reporting (it's a SMART Evse), but it definitely charged at 30+ miles per hour, and I was running v6.0 (2.0.77) .

It could of course be a hardware fault that coincided with the v6.1 rollout, but it would have to have occurred within the space of a few days!