Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Bulletin for Wind Noise Issue on P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Andyw2100

Oct 22, 2014
Ithaca, NY
I just heard from my service advisor that there is now a service bulletin for the wind noise issue that I reported. I know it applies to my P85D. I'm not sure if it applies only to P85Ds, or to other Model S vehicles as well. Apparently the bulletin is for seals for the glass around the A-pillar (or something like that) on both the driver and passenger sides. The parts to take care of this are not yet available.

I had started a thread on this when I first noticed the problem in my car a couple of weeks ago. That thread is here: Wind noise problem in new P85D

Last edited:
I just heard from my service advisor that there is now a service bulletin for the wind noise issue that I reported. I know it applies to my P85D. I'm not sure if it applies only to P85Ds, or to other Model S vehicles as well. Apparently the bulletin is for seals for the glass around the A-pillar (or something like that) on both the driver and passenger sides. The parts to take care of this are not yet available.

I had started a thread on this when I first noticed the problem in my car a couple of weeks ago. That thread is here: Wind noise problem in new P85D

I have annoying wind noise coming from the driver's side window. It's made all the more noticeable because the sound deadening I had done make the car so incredibly quiet. I can't isolate the source, but my car goes in for service in a few weeks so I'll have it addressed then.

I noticed the sound the second time I drove the car, which was the first time I took it on the highway. I was on the way to have it Opticoated, and as soon as I reached 60 MPH or so for the first time I heard it. I was not a happy-camper! I tried to make a video of it at the time, which I wound up sending to my service advisor. Initially she had set up a ranger visit for tomorrow, when there was going to be a ranger not too far from me anyway, but canceled that last week when she learned of the TSB, since the parts are not yet available. I too may wind up waiting until I get my seats replaced to have this dealt with. Just knowing that there is a known problem, and a known solution (hopefully) is reassuring.

Fortunately, I seem to have dodged this problem (again) on my P85D.

I say "again" because I remember this being a common issue on early VIN Model S's a long while back. They seemed to have nipped that problem in the bud and I thought it was largely gone for good. Lame to see it had returned.

Good news it was fixable then, so hopefully fixable now.

I'm surprised this is still ongoing. My March 2013 car had the problem, but was fixed by Tesla early on. I would have thought the factory would have incorporated the fix, but if P85Ds are coming off the line with the problem, I guess not.

I'm surprised this is still ongoing. My March 2013 car had the problem, but was fixed by Tesla early on. I would have thought the factory would have incorporated the fix, but if P85Ds are coming off the line with the problem, I guess not.
Did my first highway drive yesterday and noticed strong wind noise coming from both the driver and passenger sides near the front of the window near the A-column. Will inform ranger when he is here next. Guess I have the wind noise issue too but it also sounds like they don't have the parts yet to fix the issue?

Did my first highway drive yesterday and noticed strong wind noise coming from both the driver and passenger sides near the front of the window near the A-column. Will inform ranger when he is here next. Guess I have the wind noise issue too but it also sounds like they don't have the parts yet to fix the issue?

Sorry to hear that you have the problem too.

Yes, it is my understanding that the part needed for the fix are still not available. At least I haven't heard that they are, but I also have not been actively checking.

Guess I have the wind noise issue too but it also sounds like they don't have the parts yet to fix the issue?

When mine was dealt with almost 2 years ago, it wasn't a parts issue. They did something to re-align the little triangle window. I would even get a trickle of water inside the car at car washes. The adjustment/alignment fixed both the wind noise and water intrusion.

Separately, I was getting cold air inside the cabin through openings in the door panel (i.e. where the inside door handle is located and other such points). The solution there was to apply some sort of rubberized "stickers" behind the door panel to block cold air from getting inside.

When mine was dealt with almost 2 years ago, it wasn't a parts issue. They did something to re-align the little triangle window. I would even get a trickle of water inside the car at car washes. The adjustment/alignment fixed both the wind noise and water intrusion.

Since it is an official TSB this time, perhaps they are going to be replacing the seals with different ones, or is some other way requiring parts that they did not yet have. All I know is that when I was told by my service advisor about the TSB she said that the parts to complete it were not yet available. I have not followed up because I am a couple of hundred miles from the service center, and I'm thinking that this will get done when the car has to go for another reason anyway.

I took it in on Sunday to Costa Mesa. My advisor said it isn't a TSB however he replaced the seals that went down into the door between the window and the triangle window and it's fixed now.

Haven't really been to Vegas so haven't been able to test (drive to Vegas = high winds)

I seem to have this problem. I took it in and they adjusted it and said it was now withing specification. I got a survey on the service and I indicated that I was happy with the service overall but I could still hear the wind noise. I was surprised I got a call from the service center asking me to bring the car back in to re check it. So they really pay attention to the surveys. Before I take it back in I plan to have a neighbor that has a p85 drive our car to see if the noise is normal. It's interesting it bothers me and my wife says she can't hear it. This is especially funny since she is always complaining that I can't hear anything.