Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Challenge to all you Tesla drag racing fanatics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lolachampcar

Nov 26, 2012
WPB Florida
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans]Someone please grab a set of four drag radials, mount them on low mass rims, pull the traction fuse in the warm up box (then put it back in for the race) and do a 1/4 mile pass. Can you imagine the 60 foot times of a PD (not Dave) on warm drag radials :) :) :) And all without the slightest hint of drama apart form four smoking tires in the warm up box.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans]You get extra points if it is all on video and uploaded to YouTube.

You Miami guys need to make this happen. Yea, you guys. You know who you are :)
[/FONT]

Someone please grab a set of four drag radials, mount them on low mass rims, pull the traction fuse in the warm up box (then put it back in for the race) and do a 1/4 mile pass. Can you imagine the 60 foot times of a PD (not Dave) on warm drag radials :) :) :) And all without the slightest hint of drama apart form four smoking tires in the warm up box.

You get extra points if it is all on video and uploaded to YouTube.

You Miami guys need to make this happen. Yea, you guys. You know who you are :)

Warm drags plus AWD, do you really think you need to put that fuse back?
:biggrin:

I thought about this. Honestly, I'm not 100% sure how much difference it would make. The software seems to limit the power output curve on initial acceleration (rightfully so). While it is pretty damn good, I don't think the car will care much what tires are on it in this case and would still use the best acceleration curve it is programmed to do.

Just a theory after doing a few dozen P85D launches...

I thought about this. Honestly, I'm not 100% sure how much difference it would make. The software seems to limit the power output curve on initial acceleration (rightfully so). While it is pretty damn good, I don't think the car will care much what tires are on it in this case and would still use the best acceleration curve it is programmed to do.

My limited look at acceleration data collected on my iPhone seems to show that the traction control is making decisions on the 10 ms time scale adjusting torque dynamically to make use of the available traction.

From my observations, I would bet that stickier tires will be used to their max and give you better acceleration.

does it not slip at all? I saw that it seems to ramp up the power differently than the P85 just based on the drag videos. I was trying to get a good dash video of my car for a couple of days to compare but I was never on a good road keep losing traction right now w/ the temperatures we've had.

Does slip start do anything? maybe use this and sticky rubber?
If you are in slip start and floor it does the power needle jump faster?

In dry conditions, I've never had it slip yet. Not even a little. From a dead stop and then giving the accelerator a flying kick, still no slipping.

In the rain it barely slips at all and just added ~0.2 to 0.3s to 0-60.

I haven't tried a slip start launch... seems scary. lol.

Edit/note: Went through some videos, and so far there doesn't seem to be any difference in the power ramp up in the videos I made so far.

As reference to Lola's challenge, some of us are already aware of what grip did for Chrysler's Hellcat. 2.9 supposedly, down from ~4 seconds. AWD and Pilot Supersports won't give us that much, but it's only a couple tenths down to the 2's...