Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to buy a 2011 Roaster 2.5 - need some guidance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I'm about to purchase a 2011 Roadster 2.5 from the local Tesla showroom and I need some guidance on charging solutions. The original high power wall charger for the Roadster doesn't seem to be available any longer. Any suggestions on alternatives? I'm looking for something similar in specs, so I can charge quickly. I'm in the Greater Toronto Area (Brampton), so something available to us Canucks reasonably easily would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi all, I'm about to purchase a 2011 Roadster 2.5 from the local Tesla showroom and I need some guidance on charging solutions. The original high power wall charger for the Roadster doesn't seem to be available any longer. Any suggestions on alternatives? I'm looking for something similar in specs, so I can charge quickly. I'm in the Greater Toronto Area (Brampton), so something available to us Canucks reasonably easily would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Get the Model S HPC and The Can SR from hcsharp.

Or get a 100A Sun Country Highway (Clipper Creek) J1772 EVSE and the Can JR from hcsharp or the Tesla J1772 to Roadster adapter.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply AEdennis.
I spoke with Tesla again, and they are recommending that I just get a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in the garage, and use the connector supplied with the Roadster.
I am going to be purchasing a Model S as well in the near future (likely delivery in April/May), and I think I may just get 2 NEMA outlets installed and be able to get the Model S connector with the purchase of the car (and then get the CAN SR from hcsharp).
Any thoughts/drawbacks to that route?

Mahalo

A NEMA 14-50 works great... The other solutions give you the fastest recharge capabilities available. That being said a 40A NEMA 14-50 can get you 31 miles per hour ideally, I get about 29 miles per hour recharged...

The other setups can get you to 70A maximum, which is 75% faster than the NEMA 14-50...

If the UMC comes with the car, then that's pretty useful as well.

The HPC and HPWC are hardwired EVSEs and can go to 80a/70a respectively (for Model S/Roadster). Installation costs vary by location/distance and electrician.

The UMCs can go up to 40A from 50A feeds... (Or less depending on the outlet used.).

Last edited:
Keep in mind if you use the model S charger (HPWC) you'll first need Henry's CAN SR. and also ensure you have the Roadster firmware update that allows the 80AMP pilot signal from the charger. I'm not sure if the charger would work on the Roadster without the firmware update if its below 80amps, but if you have the CAN SR then you'll need it.

Also having the CAN tied to the home charger will allow the possibility that you'd forget it, leaving the CAN at home when you need it on the road. I think its essential to leave both CANs (JR & SR) in the car for that you could be in a bind, have a model S charger to your avail. but no way of getting it to work on your Roadster since the CAN is at home. If you want to drop down more money for a second CAN that would work, but more money invested. Its just another thing to think about and forget. Ever leave your wallet or cell phone at home and then drive away, find out 5 miles into your journey that you forgot something!?

Lastly the model S HPWC's are not built like the Clipper Creek made Roadster 70AMP HPWC which is built to last and made like a Sherman Tank.

Is there an immediate need to have a fast charger right now? I have a Roadster HPWC that I never hooked up, need to upgrade my home service to support the full 70amps, but have been charging off my MC240 30amp mobile charger for the 3 years I've owned my Roadster. Really have no need for the 70AMPS honestly. Its nice to have, but after owning the Roadster you learn to plan ahead. Its really when I'm on the road that I want that 70AMPS.

Also with the Model-S the 80AMPS is key since its a larger pack. With that said, when the larger 72kW pack comes out for the Roadster, that 70AMPS would be nicer. But again its still not a necessity since I'm using 70 miles round trip each day on my commute so I have plenty of range left in my pack when charged and used in standard mode each day.

Last edited:
Ahh, I think I understand. So the Model S Connector can be hardwired or plugged into the NEMA 14-50. If its hardwired it gets the maximum amperage, but if its plugged in it tops out at 50 amps. Is that right?

So, if I want the fastest charging, hard-wiring it in (and using the CAN SR) would be the best option.

I'm likely going to do the Roadster 3.0 upgrade (how fast will depend on pricing) as I would like the range (I travel 500 km round trip to work once a week), and don't really want want to wait 12-15 hours for a full recharge.

Ahh, I think I understand. So the Model S Connector can be hardwired or plugged into the NEMA 14-50. If its hardwired it gets the maximum amperage, but if its plugged in it tops out at 50 amps. Is that right?

So, if I want the fastest charging, hard-wiring it in (and using the CAN SR) would be the best option.

I'm likely going to do the Roadster 3.0 upgrade (how fast will depend on pricing) as I would like the range (I travel 500 km round trip to work once a week), and don't really want want to wait 12-15 hours for a full recharge.

No... The hardwiring bypasses a NEMA 14-50... That's either/or...

There is a waiting list from Hcsharp for the CAN SR and you need to check with him on where you would fall in based on his production schedule.

The Clipper Creek would be better as it would allow you to charge all sorts of EVs at home and I believe that Hcsharp probably has the CAN JRs "in stock", though check with him.

If I understand your post correctly, it's not quite right.

The Model S HPWC is hard wired into your home fuse box on a dedicated 100A circuit. It can then provide up to 80A charging to an S. If you have Henry's new SR adaptor and your Roadster has the latest firmware you can charge your Roadster at 70A from the HPWC with the SR adaptor.

From a NEMA 14-50 receptacle on a 50 A circuit you can charge an S at 40A using the Model S UMC and the supplied adaptor, or you can charge a Roadster at 40A if you have a Roadster UMC cable, which was an option, it did not come standard with the car.

A Roadster can also be charged at 70A using the optional Roadster HPC, which Tesla sourced from Clipper Creek.

Hope I got all that right.

Okay, that clears things up a little.

So if I went with the Clipper Creek/Sun Country solution, would I be able to charge my future Model S at 80A from it as well? With a J1772 adapter?

Exactly... Or if you have visitors that come by that are using a Leaf, i3, whatever...

My mother drives a Leaf, so it's useful to have a J1772 around.

So, in either case (HPC vs CC/SC) I'm looking at getting an adapter.
With the HPWC it will have to be the CAN SR, with the ClipperCreek it will have to be the CAN JR.
Its only with the NEMA outlet that I can charge the day I get my Roadster home (in about a week).

Got to be honest, I don't have that many EV enthusiast friends, and we are likely going to be Tesla family (my Wife is eyeing the Model X).
It looks like the best and most future-proof way to go is the ClipperCreek solution. However, the HPWC is half the price of the ClipperCreek.

Maybe I should ask my Electrician if the NEMA outlet can be converted over down the road...

Maybe I should ask my Electrician if the NEMA outlet can be converted over down the road...

The wire gauge for a NEMA 14-50 can support any EVSE, the only challenge is it can't (by code and tech) charge faster than 40A... The actual physical wire for either EVSE running at full speed will be thicker (and more expensive) than a NEMA 14-50....

I have multiple outlets and one hard wired EVSE in my setup.

I can charge 4 EVs on 240V at home and more with 110V.

So, in either case (HPC vs CC/SC) I'm looking at getting an adapter.
With the HPWC it will have to be the CAN SR, with the ClipperCreek it will have to be the CAN JR.
Its only with the NEMA outlet that I can charge the day I get my Roadster home (in about a week).

Got to be honest, I don't have that many EV enthusiast friends, and we are likely going to be Tesla family (my Wife is eyeing the Model X).
It looks like the best and most future-proof way to go is the ClipperCreek solution. However, the HPWC is half the price of the ClipperCreek.

It is easy to convert an outlet down the road - but total capacity becomes an issue. My house has 200A service - typical for a modern 2-story normal-size home. I could do 2 50A outlets - but not 2 70/80A outlets. Alder houses often are only 100/150A. If you have a huge house you could have more - but check.