Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Struggling ... need some help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys and gals -

I have felt the draw of the Tesla for a number of years. When the Model S first came out I got 90% through the deposit process before I chickened out. But I've been obsessed from afar since they arrived. I feel the major element with that draw is my love of technology. I'm a 39 year old male who grew up with PC Jrs., Atari, Ninetendo, Commodore 64s and the like. I love tech - it's my career, it's my hobby, etc.

I also love cars. In the last 12 years, I've bought 32 cars - either f. I tend to slant German - more than half of the 32 were German - mostly Audis, VWs, BMWs and Porsches. in nearly every modern Audi or BMW I've owned, I've been obsessed with upgrading some element of the technology. Buy a BMW 6-series without Bluetooth - no problem, I'll add it myself. I really enjoy that type of thing. That said, and for all the cars I've owned, I'm not overly mechanically inclined. I've changed a valve cover gasket on a BMW before, but I didn't enjoy it and I didn't have much satisfaction when I was done.

With all that pretext, I'll get to my point. For the last month or so I've been actively seeking out a pre-owned Model S. I've never driven a Tesla - I've seen three total in person - sat in one in a mall once. That's it. Yet I've watched 100s of YouTube videos about every aspect of the car - ownership, delivery, technology, reviews, etc. I'm drawn in with each one. I've spent countless hours on this forum lurking through all the conversations between owners. I'm riveted.

I'm currently looking in the 65k-75k range, which makes an S85 within reach and a P85 less so.

So given all that, I'd absolutely love to hear some opinions from people on this forum. Is there anyone out there like me who was a frequent driver of performance cars from other brands that made the jump to Tesla essentially sight-unseen? What are your thoughts - what do you love - what do you miss (if anything) - what would you do differently. What advice would you give a guy like me? I'm sure I'll get a lot of "drive it first". I respect that. While I tend to agree, I never drove a 911 TT before I bought one and loved the surprise and delight I felt when I first got it.

Anyway - I'd love as many opinions as possible. This hunt feels different and because it's the first electric I've considered, I think I may just be overthinking. Also - if you're one of the lucky ones to be waiting on a D delivery and would like to give a guy a good deal on a pre-loved Model S ... PM me :)

Thanks all.

Get a P85D and stop searching:). If you enjoy performance cars and have bought 32 cars in the last 12 years are you not considering the P85D as well? A number of Signature customers took delivery without ever taking a test drive so it has been done.

Get a P85D and stop searching:). If you enjoy performance cars and have bought 32 cars in the last 12 years are you not considering the P85D as well? A number of Signature customers took delivery without ever taking a test drive so it has been done.

Not just signature owners but all of the "beta" owners as well. We had a deposit for 2 years before our car arrived. Only drove once slightly before delivery when they did the first test drives in the summer of 2012. Still have the same excitement driving it every day. Your only regret will be that you won't be able to drive another car brand again. And the greatest thing is you don't have to deal with the dealers, their shady practices, and their service centers.

I bought mine while out of the country and so had never sat in, ridden or driven a Model S before. Ive always been obsessed with EVs though, ever since I was 10 years old when my family had an EV1.

I don't even have access to home charging like many of the people on this forum, and I don't have a single moment where I regret buying it. If anything, I get excited just hopping into the car to go on an unplanned day drive, run errands, etc. I love this thing like it were my child, lol.

Don't let this forum convince you that anything less than a P85D won't do -- these threads tend to skew to the high end. Any Model S will deliver great joy, including the 60 and S85. You can't go wrong.

And your self-description is right in line with a lot of the die-hard fanatical Tesla drivers, including me. You caught the bug!

With the D just released, there's used cars on the market as people upgrade. You can get a lightly used S85, nicely optioned, for ~70k, maybe less. You'll love it, and the hunt is part of the fun.

Warning: do NOT test drive one. Once you do it's all over and you'll have to write a very large check.

The only way for you to know is to test drive the car. Drive a P85D and deduce your way down (if its too much car for you) or drive an S85 and go upwards (if its too little power).

But if you dont drive it and buy one blindly. I'll put it in BMW terms.

S85 = 535i but with significantly faster feeling
S85D (P85) = M5 level (obviously with faster pick up feeling)
P85D = honestly like no other car. Its absolutely crazy any way you slice it.

If you like technology, there is no other vehicle that executes it this well and has these features that improve over time. I don't own a model S because I don't have charging in my apartment garage, but am damn close to say screw it and just do it. NO other car has made me even think this. I think its safe to say a lot of us car guys miss the sound, but this is just retraining ourselves. The Model S could definitely use more door cubbies for bottles and such. A lot of this will be relative to what you owned in the past. I had an s2000 so I was fortunate enough to not have much creature comforts lol.

I really appreciate all the responses so far. They've hit on a number of topics that have been top of mind for me.

* P85D vs. S85. @Esell - I signed up for that test drive a few weeks ago and finally got the call last night to reserve my time. As Crispix points out - I'm worried about driving one because I'm afraid I'd walk out of that test drive with a big fat hole in my wallet. 32 cars in 12 years tells a pretty clear story that I don't have much self-restraint when it comes to cool cars. @aznt1217 - I appreciate the conversion to BMW terms. @Crispix - your take on the overall model line is encouraging - primarily the fact that I'll enjoy whatever I get.
* Missing the sound of the engine - I'll take the exhilaration of the experience over the sound most days. I just sold my '77 911 yesterday - that car has an amazing sound - but I was willing to give that up in a second if that meant I was a step closer to the Model S.
* Buying without driving - no longer a concern.

I do look forward to hearing more opinions - even if they run counter to those posted so far. This is the first time ever I'm seeking education before making a car purchase :)

mightydave,
I have also gone through over 30 cars mostly German and Japanese. ( 996TT stage 2,Boxster, 996Cab, 9974S, 930, M3, M6, 740, 535, S600, CLK430, SL500, Range Rovers, on and on etc)
Had my P85 for almost 2 yrs and hands down this is the best car I have owned. Yes I also ordered this without a test drive or even seeing one close up.
Especially you being a techy, you will absolutely love the car.
Life is too short, don't go crazy over this decision. Just pull the trigger. It's a no brainer.

mightydave,
I have also gone through over 30 cars mostly German and Japanese. ( 996TT stage 2,Boxster, 996Cab, 9974S, 930, M3, M6, 740, 535, S600, CLK430, SL500, Range Rovers, on and on etc)
Had my P85 for almost 2 yrs and hands down this is the best car I have owned. Yes I also ordered this without a test drive or even seeing one close up.
Especially you being a techy, you will absolutely love the car.
Life is too short, don't go crazy over this decision. Just pull the trigger. It's a no brainer.

That's quite a collection, maxjamie! My list is similar (300zx, GTi, 996TT, 911s, A3, A4, S5, S6, 330ci, 760i, 850i, 650i) so hearing your experience on the switch is hugely helpful. That makes me want to zero in on the P85.

Again - thanks to everyone who has responded. It's been a huge help.

Warning: do NOT test drive one. Once you do it's all over and you'll have to write a very large check.

Yep. This is what happened to me. I went to the King of Prussia store to test out an S85. The one I drove was missing some options I wanted (sound and air suspension) so the Tesla rep said I should try out the P85 that had every option I wanted.

I um... yeah, I left with that P85. lol.

Edit: With the P85D out, I bet you could find a pretty good deal on a used P85. Maybe even buy the one I traded to Tesla :p

Keep in mind that with Tesla used (not salvage!) vehicles you get all of the perks and such still. Mobile access, warranty transfers, etc. Can still get their extended warranty on a used one, just not the annual service plan.

Based on wk057's comment, I called my local service center and the guy - who was awesome to talk to - is going to check inventory and get back to me. I also have a visit scheduled for next week to drive a P85 loaner. I'm now super stoked to move this ball forward. Thanks again to everyone who has shared their opinions here.

Yep. This is what happened to me. I went to the King of Prussia store to test out an S85. The one I drove was missing some options I wanted (sound and air suspension) so the Tesla rep said I should try out the P85 that had every option I wanted.

I um... yeah, I left with that P85. lol.

I have never been to a Tesla store yet. Do they keep inventory vehicles for same day purchase and drive off?

Based on wk057's comment, I called my local service center and the guy - who was awesome to talk to - is going to check inventory and get back to me. I also have a visit scheduled for next week to drive a P85 loaner. I'm now super stoked to move this ball forward. Thanks again to everyone who has shared their opinions here.
mightydave,
You will never find a company that sincerely wants to take care of your every need better than TM. I bought my S85 without a test drive and had it delivered to my home 2 weeks early last Christmas. I have had some service and all of it has been handled with excellence and to my complete satisfaction and the nearest SC is 650 miles away. The Tesla Ranger service has been the best. Whenever you talk to a Technician, they all have come from BMW, Mercedes, etc and they all love working for Tesla Motors and feel it was the best career move they could have ever made. Enjoy and Welcome to TMC.

mightydave,
You will never find a company that sincerely wants to take care of your every need better than TM. I bought my S85 without a test drive and had it delivered to my home 2 weeks early last Christmas. I have had some service and all of it has been handled with excellence and to my complete satisfaction and the nearest SC is 650 miles away. The Tesla Ranger service has been the best. Whenever you talk to a Technician, they all have come from BMW, Mercedes, etc and they all love working for Tesla Motors and feel it was the best career move they could have ever made. Enjoy and Welcome to TMC.

DrGuest - that is great to hear. I've long admired the company and the product - but I'm now ready to embed myself. Even when I talked to the guy at the SC, it felt like I was calling a tech company about their product rather than a car dealership. Very refreshing.

I have never been to a Tesla store yet. Do they keep inventory vehicles for same day purchase and drive off?

I was told they can generally sell any of the demos/loaners the stores and service centers have. I drove off with it that evening, but I brought it back to the service center later (couple of days) for official delivery/detailing/actual temporary tag/etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Very cool, good luck! :)

I've driven everything. Had my own dealership and Sold over 1000 cars in 13 years. Got a s85 autopilot 1 mos ago. It's way fast enough. Only 0 to 30 mph the others are faster. Real world traffic the s85 is perfect. Try to get autopilot. It'll be 90k minimum though.

S85 30 to 50 mph or 50 to 70 mph beats any v8 German car, s550mb. 550i. E550. ties turbo v8 Germans like m5 e63amg etc. Real world above 30mph performance it's super fast.

S85 vs other ice cars is smoother. Quicker, more techie. Like a air glider on wheels or a flying carpet. That's the best I can describe it. No delay in throttle. No engine noise. Instant gratification.

In ice there's nice, nicer, Super nice. In this it's just "different" in a way that can't be put in words.

I would put money in autopilot vs speed of p85 or p85d