Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do I do for the next few days while Smart Preconditioning is "learning"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I keep manually turning on the cabin heating 30 minutes before I go out in the morning will the car still "learn" to do this automatically? How will I know when it's done this?

Or do I just have to suffer a few mornings of cold starts in order for it to figure out something that I could easily have told it via some sort of scheduler?

Oh Elon why do you torment us with these terrible first world problems???

I think based on what I read in the notes, it's more of a timing thing. The car will "warm" up to the temperature it was left at every morning as long as you get in the car at the same time.

That's how I interpet it...like a smart thermostat. It learns when you leave for work (in my case around 7am) and times turning on the heat or A/C so that the set temperature is reached at departure time.

Varies how? If it's random, obviously it can't predict it. My guess is it expects a repetetive weekly work schedule, and if you fall outside this description you won't be able to use it.

Yeah. Leaving time varies by half and hour to an hour each day but isn't the same each week. Thought it might learn to warm the car up even if it is a little early as the cabin would still retain some heat. Still it's a neat feature for those that can use it.

I think based on what I read in the notes, it's more of a timing thing. The car will "warm" up to the temperature it was left at every morning as long as you get in the car at the same time.

Afraid I find that useless, especially if the algorithm is same as home/work "traffic avoidance suggestions". With 6.0 my car started trying to suggest routes from work to home, and occasionally from home to work. Has since quit and I'm happy that its quit bugging me. It bugged me primarily because its suggestions were awful. Waze does much better but I've learned if Waze tries to put me on a south route to work I should go the north or middle route.

Automatic pre-heating is not desired because its not dependable. But if I could set a timer to warm the car at 6:30AM same as I set to charge at 2:00AM then that would be useful.

I don't have a set schedule. There should be a feature that allows you to input nothing more than your estimated departure time. The car should automatically figure out when to start charging and pre-conditioning in order to hit that departure time. Simple. I don't need the car to predict anything, and in my case it would likely do a poor job.

I don't have a set schedule. There should be a feature that allows you to input nothing more than your estimated departure time. The car should automatically figure out when to start charging and pre-conditioning in order to hit that departure time. Simple. I don't need the car to predict anything, and in my case it would likely do a poor job.

Thats what I said. If I could tell the car to heat/cool for a 6:30AM departure then that would be fine but for it to guess and act without my permission is not acceptable.

Thats what I said. If I could tell the car to heat/cool for a 6:30AM departure then that would be fine but for it to guess and act without my permission is not acceptable.

I agree. A "alarm clock" style setting for your car from the phone app makes a lot more sense than the car trying to learn your schedule, especially if your schedule appears irregular to an outside observer.

I agree that while the smart functions in Tesla are nice (like the location-based air suspension), better manual control over things like this would be a preferable option on the side. Factory installed or retrofitted gasoline heaters often have a few timers you can set, perhaps that could be a secondary option, if nothing else.

Also it could be combination - it would be nice to have a view of the "week" as Smart Preconditioning sees it and then a) you wouldn't have to guess what it does and b) you could perhaps edit manually to make some adjustments or to enter entire manual timers. Same with location-based air suspension, it would be nice to have a list one could view and edit of the places and settings stored (instead of having to make changes at the location).

Hopefully Tesla will keep adding manual options to the smart features.

I don't have a set schedule.....I don't need the car to predict anything, and in my case it would likely do a poor job.

The release notes actually do say that it won't engage for a variable schedule.

...but for it to guess and act without my permission is not acceptable.

You have to turn it on, it can't operate without your permission.

Hopefully Tesla will keep adding manual options to the smart features.

Oxymoron. Manual controls mean the features wouldn't be smart.

I can think of other useful scenarios that Tesla could add to this function.

For example, I am retired, so have no set commute schedule. However, I do take a lot of long road trips, and usually do a range charge before I begin such a trip (both inbound and outbound, and at the beginning of long legs after overnights).

The car could have an algorithm that says: If a range charge is scheduled (anything above 90 or maybe 95%), turn on pre-conditioning (if enabled for this scenario) in the last 20-30 minutes before completion of the charge;

Or perhaps, there could be an option to pre-condition at the end of any scheduled charge that will end at 6am plus-or-minus 2 hours, anticipating that this means a trip start, regardless of finishing SOC.

In these and other scenarios, false positives are certainly possible, but cost only a little wasted power, if the timing is not exactly right.

IMG_0009.PNG

I got the above image when connecting to my car a few minutes ago. That was a bit unexpected, as I am not going anywhere (and have not driven anywhere around this time of day for many months). I just reconnected, and now it says Climate Off, with interior temperature at 16.5 degrees C. So looks like it preconditioned my car, but why it did that is a bit of a mystery to me?

I like the manual scheduling option that VisibleTesla offered.

Even easier would be (as Tesla has access to your calendar and the new 6.1 software actually allows you to select the calendars that it reads) to just add a "Warm the Tesla" event to a specific calendar on your phone. Tesla sees the event and then warms the car... or cools it. I wish they would open up the API to third parties... we'd be swimming in options.

Reminds me of when the iPhone was released and Steve Jobs was adamant that the only apps on the phone would be through the browser. Not long after that, we have an app store (sandboxed, which is even more appropriate for a car) and a great selection of handy applications. And then Samsung, along with Google Android... (nah, just kidding!)

FWIW, I really like my new Tesla. Best tech purchase ever. Oh, and it's a car...

I got the above image when connecting to my car a few minutes ago. That was a bit unexpected, as I am not going anywhere (and have not driven anywhere around this time of day for many months). I just reconnected, and now it says Climate Off, with interior temperature at 16.5 degrees C. So looks like it preconditioned my car, but why it did that is a bit of a mystery to me?

My guess would be that you're experiencing the app refresh issue where it 'remembers' the last time you opened the app. In my case, I don't have 6.1 yet, but the climate tab usually shows the last known temp when the app was activated. I'm assuming preconditioning was active the last time that you launched the app whether you looked at the climate tab or not.