Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I expected more from a P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday my wife and I drove our P85 to Raleigh, NC to test drive the P95D and compare it to my P85. Here is our findings:

First thing that everyone does is, put the "D" in "insane mode" and then mash the pedal from a dead stop until it hits about 60mph. So I did this and of course we were completely blown away with the ballistic accleration as compared to our P85. It felt like an airforce jet taking off from a carrier. Scary Wow! Also the roar of the turbine type sound was especially chilling and rather intense. :) The next day we talked about this feature and realized that we would do this about ten times and then get tired of the massive acceleration and probably not use it more than once/month. Of course I would use it to demonstrate to one of my fiends who own Vipers that they are really no match for the "D" )

The next test was: punching it from 50mph to about 70mph. I was surprised that it did not have the same ballistic acceleration at the 0-60mph test. It did not seem much faster than my P85. The salesman said that is because the test car was limited to 80mph rather than 155mph. OK, I will give him that mulligan :)

The next was to simply drive around town and around corners to feel the AWD characteristics of the car. This was impressive and reminiscent of my Porsche C4S. The problem is with the double motors and AWD you have a different feel of the car than my rear wheel P85. The "D" just doesn't have the smoothness as my P85. It feels like it is constantly working against itself and things are grinding. The ride is noisy (OK. OK. my P85 has 19" wheels and the "D" has 21" wheels) and the noise from both engines start to get annoying after a while.

Another observation: The seats are glorious as they make you feel like you are in a true sports car. Our test car head a black headliner where as my P95 has a ivory headliner. The black headliner along with the bolstered seats makes you feel like you are in a Porsche. This is a good thing!

More observations: I was really impressed when I exceeded the speed limit and a road sign appeared on the dash telling me to slow down. This is very cool ... and each time I touched or crossed the center line, the car vibrated to tell me to stay in my lane ... another very cool feature. :) I adidn't get to test the Distronic or AutoDrive features as the software did not have the update yet.

All in all, the bottom line for me is: For me to trade in my 2014 P85 at this time against an equally loaded "D" would cost me about $40K - $50K if they allowed me $90K for my immaculate P85. If I only stop on it from 0-60mph about 50 times it would come to about a $1,000 per stomp :) ... and like I said, after about 10 times or so this trick becomes old hat. :)

Does anyone else for the same as I do?

Phil

Overall I agree with your observations Phil.

I also have a P85, and commented to the Tesla co-pilot that aside from the dead-stop insane mode takeoff and better handling (AWD and newer suspension than my early-VIN car), the vehicle really did not feel that different from mine.

Aside from the new driver-assist features you pointed out, I also noticed that the new electro-mechanical brakes bite quite a bit more forcefully than mine.

And I LOVE the new Recaro seats.

In my case, AWD would be fantastic to have (winters here are no joke), but with 4 young kids, I absolutely need a full-sized frunk.

I have thus convinced myself that a P85D is not for me, and to wait for the X as a second vehicle. Still have to work on my wife though...

P95D, that was the problem :tongue:

I would think in bad conditions the awd would be pretty nice. Daily I do a turn where I hit crosswalks at an angle and if I try and go fast without TC turned off the car just pauses after it hits the second stripe until it hooks up.

Seats and black roof are the 2 items that I would be interested in.

I still do plenty of ~4s 0-60's after 2 years so I'm sure I'd use the lower 3s quite often.

Last edited:
OP, sounds like a glowing review, honestly. I just think with a car that crazy, it's just really not for everyone. There's a reason not that many people go out and buy Ferraris, even if they can afford it.

I've never even driven a P85, so I'm having trouble comprehending just how crazy the D would be. I briefly considered trading my S85 in, but realized I'm already driving the best car I've ever driven and there's really nothing missing in my life in that category! (My previous car was a 2003 Toyota Celica, Lol - although I've driven dozens of fancy cars)

Don't discount the other benefits of AWD, particularly in rain, ice and snow conditions. I hadn't heard the news about the increased motor noise, that would be a bit of a turn-off for me too. All in all, I think your arguments of P85 v P85D are reminiscent of my S85 v P85 arguements. The S85 is still stupid fast compared to the majority of other family sedans and while it was fun as hell stomping on the accelerator in the loaner P85s I drove, it is very hard to justify a few fun acceleration runs vs the additional $10-20k cost. If money were no object, hell yes I'd be all over a loaded P85D, but the reality is that of the 46,000 miles I have on my S85, maybe 100 miles of that has been at full acceleration, and nobody has yet beaten me off the line (not that there aren't some that could).

Don't discount the other benefits of AWD, particularly in rain, ice and snow conditions. I hadn't heard the news about the increased motor noise, that would be a bit of a turn-off for me too. All in all, I think your arguments of P85 v P85D are reminiscent of my S85 v P85 arguements. The S85 is still stupid fast compared to the majority of other family sedans and while it was fun as hell stomping on the accelerator in the loaner P85s I drove, it is very hard to justify a few fun acceleration runs vs the additional $10-20k cost. If money were no object, hell yes I'd be all over a loaded P85D, but the reality is that of the 46,000 miles I have on my S85, maybe 100 miles of that has been at full acceleration, and nobody has yet beaten me off the line (not that there aren't some that could).

People had remarked on the noise when testing early Ds so was this a new model?

As far as the AWD feel and noise, if that's an issue, I think the OP should keep an eye on the motor control updates, which JB Straubel said would be coming after January 31st, as Elon Musk had said they'd continue to refine it and it's possible that future refinements will help make it more natural.

Something is wrong if you are noticing more noise, though as you said may just be the wheel differences. My P85D is quieter than I recall any of the loaners I've had in the past being, and I've had P85s as well as just plain 85s on 19s. A newish non-D on 19s may be quieter since it would have all the same noise improvements, but I'm very happy with the noise levels. No wind noise, next to no motor noise (and what there is, I like), just tire noise depending on speed and surface.

I have driven my P85D for 2 weeks now. It is the best driving car I have ever had, fast or slow. For me the extra cost was justified and I don't even have my Ricardo seats yet. I have all options except for child seats and the cold package. When I hear complaints about irritating motor sounds and even how the lowly S 60 looks exactly like the more expensive models in other threads I think that we are all getting a little too critical. Certainly, the P85D may not be the best car for you, but I think as a first model variation, it is still remarkable. I have never understood why anyone with a late model P85 would sacrifice $40,000 to upgrade when they are already driving one of the best cars on the planet.

Yesterday my wife and I drove our P85 to Raleigh, NC to test drive the P95D and compare it to my P85. Here is our findings:

First thing that everyone does is, put the "D" in "insane mode" and then mash the pedal from a dead stop until it hits about 60mph. So I did this and of course we were completely blown away with the ballistic accleration as compared to our P85. It felt like an airforce jet taking off from a carrier. Scary Wow! Also the roar of the turbine type sound was especially chilling and rather intense. :) The next day we talked about this feature and realized that we would do this about ten times and then get tired of the massive acceleration and probably not use it more than once/month. Of course I would use it to demonstrate to one of my fiends who own Vipers that they are really no match for the "D" )

The next test was: punching it from 50mph to about 70mph. I was surprised that it did not have the same ballistic acceleration at the 0-60mph test. It did not seem much faster than my P85. The salesman said that is because the test car was limited to 80mph rather than 155mph. OK, I will give him that mulligan :)

The next was to simply drive around town and around corners to feel the AWD characteristics of the car. This was impressive and reminiscent of my Porsche C4S. The problem is with the double motors and AWD you have a different feel of the car than my rear wheel P85. The "D" just doesn't have the smoothness as my P85. It feels like it is constantly working against itself and things are grinding. The ride is noisy (OK. OK. my P85 has 19" wheels and the "D" has 21" wheels) and the noise from both engines start to get annoying after a while.

Another observation: The seats are glorious as they make you feel like you are in a true sports car. Our test car head a black headliner where as my P95 has a ivory headliner. The black headliner along with the bolstered seats makes you feel like you are in a Porsche. This is a good thing!

More observations: I was really impressed when I exceeded the speed limit and a road sign appeared on the dash telling me to slow down. This is very cool ... and each time I touched or crossed the center line, the car vibrated to tell me to stay in my lane ... another very cool feature. :) I adidn't get to test the Distronic or AutoDrive features as the software did not have the update yet.

All in all, the bottom line for me is: For me to trade in my 2014 P85 at this time against an equally loaded "D" would cost me about $40K - $50K if they allowed me $90K for my immaculate P85. If I only stop on it from 0-60mph about 50 times it would come to about a $1,000 per stomp :) ... and like I said, after about 10 times or so this trick becomes old hat. :)

Does anyone else for the same as I do?

Phil

I feel the same way.. is it really worth the 50K difference.. whoever is going to buy my TESLA Model S P85 is getting one hell of a deal. So much so,, I f i were in the market for a clean low km model S p85 i would buy mine in a heartbeat. I constantly ask myself, will i get that much more fun out of the D. Slice it anyway you want 50K is alot of money.For that matter, for 50K you can get a pretty nice automobile. Not discounting some used Porsche for the same price and I would still have my TESLA.

I haven't driven the TESLA Model S P85D, however it seems like people like them alot. So if it sells.. i might go for it!

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't driven a P85D yet and I should probably avoid it so I don't want one. :)

Has anyone looked into whether it's possible to get the new seats retrofitted to an older car?

Very good question! I wonder if you can! the option does only 4K when you upgrade! perhaps you can. someone should inquire to TESLA.

I feel the same way.. is it really worth the 50K difference.. whoever is going to buy my TESLA Model S P85 is getting one hell of a deal. So much so,, I f i were in the market for a clean low km model S p85 i would buy mine in a heartbeat. I constantly ask myself, will i get that much more fun out of the D. Slice it anyway you want 50K is alot of money.For that matter, for 50K you can get a pretty nice automobile. Not discounting some used Porsche for the same price and I would still have my TESLA.

I haven't driven the TESLA Model S P85D, however it seems like people like them alot. So if it sells.. i might go for it!

- - - Updated - - -

Very good question! I wonder if you can! the option does only 4K when you upgrade! perhaps you can. someone should inquire to TESLA.

I think I'll wait until someone totals their P85D and then try to snag them. :)

Something is wrong if you are noticing more noise, though as you said may just be the wheel differences. My P85D is quieter than I recall any of the loaners I've had in the past being, and I've had P85s as well as just plain 85s on 19s. A newish non-D on 19s may be quieter since it would have all the same noise improvements, but I'm very happy with the noise levels. No wind noise, next to no motor noise (and what there is, I like), just tire noise depending on speed and surface.

I think Ive read a couple reports from people who had test drove the P85D before their delivery, and said that the test drive vehicle had noticeably more noise than their production P85D.

$50k no way. But at $18k over a 85D, the decision is easier. I find it interesting that people complain about the cost, but the incremental cost is similar to the P85+, yet you get more performance increase. I realize here no one is complaining per se but the implication is there.

This from someone who was going to get a S and is trying to justify the P85D....

Have had a D for 2 weeks now and my experience is a bit opposite of the OP's.
Tried the Auto Pilot features and found them interesting but more intrusive than helpful, so turned them off.
The blazing acceleration and good handling I embrace with joy each time I get in the car. They are exhilarating and very useful when dealing with traffic.
Love this car.