Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody in the Great White North get 6.1 yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've always got mine at about the same time as our US neighbours. The way it is distributed is kind of random though- you may get it quickly or you may have to wait a few weeks. I don't have it yet. Really looking forward to shuffle - amazing it took 2 years for something so simple. Energy prediction looks useful too!

Last edited:
now you've gone and done it ... I have to go down to the garage in our building to check. :smile:
Smartphone app will also notify if you have that option turned on (for the iPhone, anyway).

I've had 3-4 OTA updates, I think, since getting the car Jan 2014. The 5.x's I was, like, the *last* one to get them; the 6.0 release I actually got within about two weeks of the known release date which felt like a lottery win. No sign of 6.1 so far.

But if you don't have a smartphone I'd suggest just sitting in the car, that way you reduce the wasted time travelling between building and garage! It's gotta come soon, in the next few months at least -- hey! Maybe it's there now????? :)

Smartphone app will also notify if you have that option turned on (for the iPhone, anyway).

I've had 3-4 OTA updates, I think, since getting the car Jan 2014. The 5.x's I was, like, the *last* one to get them; the 6.0 release I actually got within about two weeks of the known release date which felt like a lottery win. No sign of 6.1 so far.

But if you don't have a smartphone I'd suggest just sitting in the car, that way you reduce the wasted time travelling between building and garage! It's gotta come soon, in the next few months at least -- hey! Maybe it's there now????? :)

thanks for the info but I am well aware of updates etc ... I have been an owner since March 2013 (but you knew that from reading my signature right?). this was just a failed attempt at humor. Even if I had gotten the notification I would not have activated it until I got home as I park in an underground garage at work and I imagine that any form of towing out of there would be very difficult and I have learned to have patience with the updates having gone through several of them.
On a side note, I cannot get update notifications because I use a windows phone running third party software because Tesla has decided to only officially support two phone platforms.

Was in a big rush this morning, so only got to try one feature - the backup camera lines.

They only appear when the car is in reverse, so if you like to drive with the camera showing like I do, they disappear. The contrast against snow was okay. The arc when you turn the wheel seems reasonably accurate. Really missed having those things - a very welcome addition!

I gotta say, I think this is bigger than 6.0. I haven't had a chance to properly test out the new trip planning/energy use prediction features, but there's a bunch of "little things" that I really appreciate:

• Rear view camera lines - been missing these for two years!
  • Energy App now retains Average/Instantaneous setting, and Average is the default (been asking for this for two years also!)
  • Press and hold FOB trunk button and the charge port pops open - huge convenience at J1772 stations. I'm always having to go back inside to pop the darn door.
  • Improved Slacker buffering with visual display

Since this was my first firmware update, how long do they usually take to install?
I swear it took over an hour and was worried for a little while that I "bricked" my car.

I would generally advise having the update done overnight, so that you don't have to even be aware of it!

The notice that pops up about an update being available generally tells you that it will take some time. I seem to recall it saying something like 40 minutes, but again: just do it overnight and you don't have to worry about it.

They vary depending on how many processors are being updated, etc. 20-60 minutes is typical.

I don't know how long this one took. I got the message in my phone just as I was getting ready for bed, so I popped out to the garage, pressed the button, and went to bed.