Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where to mount phone in Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
While the Tesla's screen is awesome, there still can be a need to have access to your phone (use Waze for GPS, acess to emails, messages, other music services, etc). I have a suction cup RAM mount for my iPhone 6+ but there are other mounting options as well. Anyone have a suggestion on where to mount your phone in the Model S so that it is least obstructing to windshield view and/ or screen?

While the Tesla's screen is awesome, there still can be a need to have access to your phone (use Waze for GPS, acess to emails, messages, other music services, etc). I have a suction cup RAM mount for my iPhone 6+ but there are other mounting options as well. Anyone have a suggestion on where to mount your phone in the Model S so that it is least obstructing to windshield view and/ or screen?

ProClip USA

tesla-mounted-iphone.jpg

Reactions: pdxrunr
I'd be careful using any solution that clips onto the vent and causes the device to hang right in front of the vent. If you plan to use the A/C in summer time, cold air will be blowing out of that vent directly onto your phone's battery. And when a phone's lithium-ion battery is sufficiently chilled, it will drain rapidly and the phone will shut down. Source: this has happened to me.

+1 on the vent mount ProClip. I am currently waiting for my iPhone 6 Plus large mount (for the Otterbox Defender) to arrive.
Vent blowing on the phone is no issue, simply plug in the charging cable to the USB port, have never had an issue, and I am always playing podcasts/streaming from the phone and Waze is running as well.

I'd be careful using any solution that clips onto the vent and causes the device to hang right in front of the vent. If you plan to use the A/C in summer time, cold air will be blowing out of that vent directly onto your phone's battery. And when a phone's lithium-ion battery is sufficiently chilled, it will drain rapidly and the phone will shut down. Source: this has happened to me.

Well, I've been using that exact solution for more than a year now. It works very well, but I also have a charging cable tucked under the trim so most of the time the phone is charging...

I use the AirDock, which is a wireless charger mount. I have Google Nexus phones which have built in magnets and wireless charging, but you can get cases for iPhones as well.

It's super awesome since I can use power hungry apps like Waze while charging the phone. The dash location also allows me to use my phone as a dashcam.

It comes with a cigarette adapter w/ dual 2.1A and 1A output. I'm a bit particular so I've upgraded to the Aukey dual 2.4A adapter.

And I also recommend fast charging cables that can carry the right amperage.

Here's what it looks like in the Model S. I have the USB cable aligned w/ the edge of the touchscreen so it looks a bit nicer.

airdock-angle.jpg
airdock.jpg
airdock-side.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm a big fan of the Tetrax Geo. I bought one immediately after ordering the car, after seeing the video in this thread:
Issues with lightning connector in new center console - Page 2

Info on it in this thread too:
iPhone / smartphone Mounts - Page 4

So do you apply the ball mount with adhesive to the dash and the ring with adhesive to your phone or phone case? Doesn't that affect how your phone sits on a flat service? Or am I missing something? FYI I do have a 6+ if that makes a difference.

Yes, so you do end up with the magnetic disk on the back of your phone (or phone case). I use an iPhone 6+ at the moment. It stands about 3.5mm proud of the phone, but most people get used to it very quickly. It also means it'll attach to anything magnetic, i.e. the treadmill at the gym, random whiteboards and all kinds of other places. There's also a silicone bit in the middle of the disk which is perfect for messing with in meetings, if you're easily bored (I am!). In theory you could cut a hole into the case (I use Apple's leather case) and mount the disc on the phone itself, which would mean it would be more or less flush, but I wasn't ready to put a hole in a crazily-overpriced case :-/

- - - Updated - - -

Will the adhesive on the mount damage the dash? Must be a better solution...

No, not at all, it's 3M VHB, which is a widely used product for a semi-permanent mount on any non-porous surface, but when removed, it comes off clean. If you're concerned, the holder also ships with some clear adhesive disks which you can use between the mount and the dash, or the disk and your phone (I used one on my phone, since the leather is a slightly porous surface). Alternatives include air vent mounts, clips, screws and suction cups, but I think this is the best option.