Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Offline Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have just failed to get a charge from the Warrington UK Supercharger as four workmen were "changing the meters", for the next few hours.

On this occasion it has not caused me an issue, however I wonder why Tesla could not devise a way to inform users when their chargers will be offline and for how long?

Agree this sort of thing could be handled better.

Very interesting though since there have been persistent rumours that the Warrington supercharger might be limited to only 85kW (perhaps temporarily) in anticipation of some upgrade to the power feed. This could well be that...

Update.

The following day I called at Ikea Warrington only to find both rapid charges faulty. On contacting Ecotricity they were aware that both were faulty and informed me one had been down over a month, yet they had no idea when any would be working again. They were really not interested in the hassle this could have caused me if I had been lower on charge.

From here I drove to Leigh center to yet again find a faulty Charger, GMEV this time. To be far another was working at this location however as another car was on it I decided not to wait.

I then drove to another single GMEV in Leigh, only to find this was faulty too.

I finally gave up and slowly drove home which I just made.

Public chargers atm seem to be a joke.

Sorry to hear of your trouble. I've generally been lucky using Ecotricity stuff (100% success rate), must be my routes. TBH though I so rarely drive outside my battery range, my sample size is tiny with only 3 real requirements to use any form public charging in 6 months.

Yesterday I stopped at the one in Tamworth, and had to wait 5 mins for a guy in a Leaf to finish charging (he liked the Model S btw ;) ), no biggie as I was only doing it to test a charging issue I noticed since v6.1.

But completely agree, the mess of RFID cards, something like 15% of Ecotricity network down at anyone time, and zero bay marking at other public places (this has caught me out). The whole thing is a shambles.

I went to the Brent Cross Supercharger the other night (10pm) for the first time when nearly out of charge, only to find that it is probably only open during shop hours, even though it looks like the chargers are in an outdoor car park. All entrances to the car parks were padlocked shut. Managed to eke my way around to Heathrow arriving with just 3 miles of range left

I went to the Brent Cross Supercharger the other night (10pm) for the first time when nearly out of charge, only to find that it is probably only open during shop hours, even though it looks like the chargers are in an outdoor car park. All entrances to the car parks were padlocked shut. Managed to eke my way around to Heathrow arriving with just 3 miles of range left

Public charging networks seem to be extremely unreliable. The superchargers on the other hand seem to be very solid - shortly before Christmas one US site was down for about 8 hours and Tesla laid on tow trucks to take people who became stranded to the next site.

If you couldn't get access to Brent Cross out of hours then complain loudly to Tesla. They will sort that out. The Bristol Cribbs Causeway SC is hard to get to out of hours because they close some of the gates, but a route does remain open to get to it - you just have to follow the satnav. It may be the same at Brent Cross.

Agree this sort of thing could be handled better.

Very interesting though since there have been persistent rumours that the Warrington supercharger might be limited to only 85kW (perhaps temporarily) in anticipation of some upgrade to the power feed. This could well be that...

A few days ago I returned to the Warrington SC to find two MS charging. After speaking to both they were both nearly finished, so I decided to wait until both had finished before charging, to see what rate I would get. Solo, from 4% ( 7 miles I think ) remains charge, I very quickly pulled 116Kw. Reducing over time to 35kw. Within the hour I was back to 90%, my shutoff. 219 miles typical. I was solo for all my charge. This is the fastest rate I have ever recharged here, but also the lowest charge level I have ever arrived at.

In the past at this SC, I have seen 96kw at 50 mile range when I have started charging.

Re padlocked car parks out of hours

has anything come of this? I'm very concerned as I tend to travel long distances in the evenings after 7pm and early before 6:30am.

These jouneys i will need the superchargers and bristol john Lewis will definitely be a necessity around 9pm on one of my planned journeys. It is that car park I read was locked in another thread too.

- - - Updated - - -

Also raises a further question. Driving late at night it sounds like non of the mall and therefore the toilets will be open?

John Lewis car park is fine. It just looks unappealing with raised ironworks signs and an old barrier section that is no longer operational. Detour round by Asda and 3rd exit then keep left on the filter road. Another 3rd exit at the mini roundabout will sort you out.

The Asda is a bit of a walk away but that is 24hrs except Sat/Sun obviously. Toilets in there I guess, but they may not encourage the out of hours types - I remember going to the pharmacy late once and someone was necking some methadone!