Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you keep the heater and stereo on when exiting the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried to find an answer to this in the forum, so apologies if answered somewhere already...

Frequently when on road trips with my Family, my Wife will be in the front passenger seat and I will get out of the car to go into a store etc.

How can I keep the heater, stereo, seat heaters, lights etc. on while I am out of the car? If I leave the key inside will this work or something else to do?

Just tested this in my garage, you can just put it in park, walk out with the fob and then the passenger can touch the screen then everything resumes.

So which is it? caddio says that the alarm will go off if you take the fob with you but is that only if the passenger doesn't touch the screen? I suppose if I leave my (nearly teenage) kids in the back seat they would have to reach up and touch the screen or the alarm would go off?

If I leave the fob in the car but leave the car (butt sensor deactivates) does the car remain on?

But the question is, did she touch the screen when you left so the car was still running heater/stereo?
Otherwise car lock itself and then you'll have alarm going off

you need to touch the screen before you exit if the car has auto locks when you walk away turned on.
best way is to park the car with the e-brake button on the touch screen if you really want it to stay on. otherwise the screen touch to stay on method times out after a while.
e-brake will leave radio on even if you exit the car and close everything. this is what I do if to wash my car with the stereo playing

Pro tip (which I have never seen mentioned on this forum)
If you are a passenger and driver leaves, and you forget to press the screen in time (I think thirty seconds? There's a subtle clicking sound once you've missed the window) Then press your hand on the drivers seat, it takes a bit of force but is quite easy to do. You're basically fooling the car into thinking the driver sat back down.

As for the car alarm, I'm still experimenting with when/why this happens. (Assume driver is gone, you don't have the key but the screen is on) - I suspect you're okay if you unlock the car from the screen first before you try the door but not sure.