Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon in Iron Man 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon musk had a speaking role in Iron Man 2. I just saw the movie and was caught quite off guard by his appearance. It was just a couple of lines- he played himself. I was tempted to jump up and yell, "Hey, that's the CEO of Tesla Motors."

I wonder how many people in the theatre actually know who he is?

Elon musk had a speaking role in Iron Man 2. I just saw the movie and was caught quite off guard by his appearance. It was just a couple of lines- he played himself. I was tempted to jump up and yell, "Hey, that's the CEO of Tesla Motors."

Saw the film yesterday too and definitely caught this. He says to Tony Stark, "Hey Tony, I've got an idea for an electric jet!"

I think I was the only person in the theater that got the joke/reference. :tongue:

Just saw the film tonight. I thought the mention of the electric jet was a nice touch. Though, an electric jet isn't as fetched as his actual claimed idea which is a supersonic electric jet.

Another Elon connection is that most (all?) of the scenes for Justin Hammer's facility were shot at SpaceX which I recognized from the LA Model S launch party.

Just saw the film tonight. I thought the mention of the electric jet was a nice touch. Though, an electric jet isn't as fetched as his actual claimed idea which is a supersonic electric jet.

Another Elon connection is that most (all?) of the scenes for Justin Hammer's facility were shot at SpaceX which I recognized from the LA Model S launch party.

I thought it odd that Elon traded out the shooting at SpaceX with a part himself not his actor wife.

I thought the line was Elon: "[Tony] Thanks for the idea of an electric jet."

I thought the line was Elon: "[Tony] Thanks for the idea of an electric jet."

I thought Elon said something like "Hey, I've got an idea for an electric jet" to which Stark (err... Downey) responds "I'll see what we can work out" but I saw it at midnight on opening day so my memory is a bit fuzzy.

Realistically, yes, a supersonic electric jet is crazy but considering the micro-reactor in Stark's chest a supersonic electric jet, in Iron Man context, is probably a possibility. :wink:

Yep, Hammer's facility was located at SpaceX. I all the "bad guys" planning scenes appeared to have been done inside SpaceX.

Sorry to go a bit OT but, on a side note, I was disappointed about not even seeing the Roadster in Iron Man 2. I love the R8 V10 but, in movie context, the high-tech Roadster seems much more up Stark's alley.

I thought Elon said something like "Hey, I've got an idea for an electric jet" to which Stark (err... Downey) responds "I'll see what we can work out" but I saw it at midnight on opening day so my memory is a bit fuzzy.
My recollection is close to that. "Hey Tony, I've got this idea for an electric jet..."

Realistically, yes, a supersonic electric jet is crazy but considering the micro-reactor in Stark's chest a supersonic electric jet, in Iron Man context, is probably a possibility. :wink:
Which is why I thought he should have actually specified supersonic.

Yep, Hammer's facility was located at SpaceX. I all the "bad guys" planning scenes appeared to have been done inside SpaceX.
Like here:
zz207c043e.jpg

Sorry to go a bit OT but, on a side note, I was disappointed about not even seeing the Roadster in Iron Man 2. I love the R8 V10 but, in movie context, the high-tech Roadster seems much more up Stark's alley.
Not off topic at all. I was disappointed not to see a Roadster Sport or even a shadow of the Model S. I'm sure Audi payed well for the R8 being featured, though. And that high speed drive from New York to DC (IIRC) would have stretched the Roadster's range. Of course if he stuck an arc reactor in there...

Last edited:

From How Iron Man 2′s Wild Special Effects Were Filmed:

Tesla’s Roadster was in the first “Iron Man” film in 2008, but only because vehicle sponsor Audi considered Tesla a “niche player” back then; now, with Audi about to produce its own electric vehicles, they see Tesla as a competitor, and said “no” to Tesla being in the sequel.

I thought he actually flew to DC (since he flew back).

Loved seeing the R8, I'll stick to the coupe though
As I remember it, Tony Stark and Jon Favreau's character go to see the R8 while leaving the Stark Expo (in NY). They get in the car and a pretty woman serves Tony a subpoena to appear in Washington. Tony asks how far it is to Washington and it is implied they drove there in the R8.

As I remember it, Tony Stark and Jon Favreau's character go to see the R8 while leaving the Stark Expo (in NY). They get in the car and a pretty woman serves Tony a subpoena to appear in Washington. Tony asks how far it is to Washington and it is implied they drove there in the R8.

implied just because he drove off right after that. Logically though, he drove the R8 to DC, then flew a plane back, then later had the R8 again back in NY?

implied just because he drove off right after that. Logically though, he drove the R8 to DC, then flew a plane back, then later had the R8 again back in NY?

It was a pretty strong implication that he drove to DC. Flew back where? His house is in California and the next major scene with him (after the senate hearing) is there. He's also later seen driving the R8 in California. There was another Audi (black sedan) in New York (perhaps others) and then the Rolls in Monaco.

I caught the show a couple days ago to. And while I did not readily identify Elon as himself, I did catch it in the credits and remembered the scene and that it was him. Wish they would have worked a Tesla in there though. Tony could have retro fitted one with one of those ARC Reactors ;-)

Mike

The Carnage Of Iron Man 2 - Jalopnik.com

The other running race car — a yellow faux-Wolf painted in Kodak livery and wearing Tesla/SpaceX founder Elon Musk's name on its cockpit. Musk was Robert Downey Jr. and Iron Man director Jon Favreau's inspiration for Tony Stark, and he has a cameo in the film's Monaco scene. (He's the guy who gets up and tries to tell Tony about his idea for an "electric plane" before the race.)

500x_cars_of_iron_man_2_14.jpg

PS The TV show Ultimate Factories recently covered the Audi R8 line. They had coverage of the film and showed footage of the car in an unused climax of the film where it's driven/crashed into the bad guy. Hype line was that the car would not wreck enough cause it's so good...